Pod Hotel - Kyoto

Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:24 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough
Default Pod Hotel - Kyoto

Hi,

Are there any Pod Hotels in Kyoto Japan? Ive looked on google but cant find anyway, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

M
Old Jan 21st 2010, 12:37 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pod Hotel - Kyoto

Not in Kyoto, it's more of a Shinjuku/Shibuya thing.

I stayed at a western style hotel in central Kyoto a few months ago though and it was quite reasonably priced and a huge room as well especially by Japanese standards.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Not in Kyoto, it's more of a Shinjuku/Shibuya thing.

I stayed at a western style hotel in central Kyoto a few months ago though and it was quite reasonably priced and a huge room as well especially by Japanese standards.
Having a nightmare trying to find a decent hotel for decnet price in kyoto, i thought London was bad. Anyway, i found this pod hotel in Kyoto, brand new, managed to book it but i think i might be to tall for the beds !!

http://9hours.jp/
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:43 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I didn't know they had pod hotels there, it's a bit of a sleepy city with not much going on in it to be honest.

It certainly isn't cheap either, like you say, but we got our hotel as part of a deal which also included return bullet train tickets from Tokyo and I think that made the hotel work out at around £60-80 a night including a choice of either Japanese or Western-style buffet breakfast. I think that was booked through JR but my girlfriend and her Dad took care of it and paid for it over there as opposed to booking it online. Japan and subsequently Korea haven't really bought into the whole e-commerce revolution like we have.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:38 pm
Banned

Thanks, can you recommend anywhere a bit more of the 'beaten track' so to say. We fly into Tokyo, couple of days there, then down to Hiroshima and slowly work our way up. However the only place we can find that has easily bookable hotels (i.e www in english and at a decent price circa 150$ a night) are in the big cities. Its a bit of tough country to preplan your trip via the internet so any tips would be appreciated!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

It is, extremely difficult, luckily I was over there with a native otherwise I probably would have just done what I usually do, walk around the local area where I get to and make up my trip from there. The Japanese do not buy into E-commerce at all, they don't really pay for much on plastic, and as I found out most of the cash machines will not take foreign cards so you might want to take out as much cash as you feel comfortable to carry. Saying that, it is definitely the safest country that I have ever visited though and the only place where I felt like I had to 'watch my wallet' so to speak was in the downtown area of Shinjuku which has a few teenage gangs and a lot of illegal immigrants from other parts of asia.

You may be able to reserve things online though and then pay for them when you get there as that is mostly what we did. A lot of the reservation websites will be in Japanese but you can translate them with babelfish and then just send through the reservation request which usually just needs to have your names on it and the dates you're going. Basically it's just a plain text email form and they will email you back to confirm the booking, which again can be ran through babelfish if they have put quite a lot of text in there.

I mainly did the touristy stuff in Kyoto, I was only there for two days and my girlfriend wanted me to get a taste of the real Japan before she let me loose on Akihabara. They have some nice places in Kyoto where you can participate in traditional Japanese arts like braiding so you could try that and if you're after some cheap meals then they have some really nice noodle bars there where you can get a really good and authentically Japanese lunch for a couple of quid.

When you're in Tokyo, Asakasa is a must and I really liked Yokohama too, it's a lot more free and spacious than most of the places I saw in Japan. It is a difficult country to be in without a translator though and I speak basic Japanese, although the annoucements on most of the major public transport networks in Tokyo and Kyoto are also done in English and the roadsigns and train station names are written in Romaji underneath so that makes life slightly easier. There are some really great (but slightly expensive) restaurants around Shinjuku and Ikkebukuro which also have English speaking staff as do a few of the Family Marts and Lawson's convenience stores (but don't count on that too much).

I suppose the only other warning I can give is to be prepared to take your shoes off, a lot.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 21st 2010 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:34 am
Banned

Boycott is an unknown quantity at this point

Convenient Kyoto hotel

Nice convenient hotel - easy access to train station and public transportation to get around Kyoto. Tour of Kyoto also stops at this hotel for pick up. Rooms are compact but clean and the hotel staff was helpful.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:15 am
Sidecar Falcon

I think this was the hotel which I stayed in:

http://www.travelasianplaces.com/hot...promotion.html
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Hi there, don't know if you know this already but some hotels don't allow women (I learned the hard way in Fukuoka - but they were helpful in pointing out a hotel that would accept me). I believe this could be some of the pod hotels that are usually used by "bujinessman" (business men) when it's too late to go home. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Enjoy Japan - I spent a year there and the architecture & history there are truly amazing.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 4:41 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Hi there, don't know if you know this already but some hotels don't allow women (I learned the hard way in Fukuoka - but they were helpful in pointing out a hotel that would accept me). I believe this could be some of the pod hotels that are usually used by "bujinessman" (business men) when it's too late to go home. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Enjoy Japan - I spent a year there and the architecture & history there are truly amazing.
Oh yeah, this is true, sorry I forgot to mention this. They are usually pod hotels or cheap ones used by salary men. Likewise they have carriages on the trains where men aren't allowed at peak times due to a common problem on the subway.