P85 issue

Old Jan 10th 2014, 9:07 am
Just Joined

polpol101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P85 issue

Hi

Until I moved abroad 4 years ago I never had to file a tax return with HMRC-all my taxes were settled through PAYE. When I moved, I foolishly overlooked the fact that I needed to file a P85 with HMRC. Is the lack of filing a P85 a big deal and should I have started filing UK tax returns since emigrating, despite having lived, worked, and paid taxes in Japan, and not having property in the UK?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:44 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P85 issue

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this. I filled in something, it was probably the P85, on orders from our UK accountant when we left the UK to move to Singapore. We then paid tax in Singapore and HMRC were OK since there was a reciprocal agreement between the two countries . I have no idea if Japan has a reciprocal agreement.

Think I will shift your topic to the Japan section in the hope that someone may answer. I'm afraid we don't have too many posters in Japan, so will just have to keep fingers crossed.

Failing that....suggest you contact HMRC and ask. I think you can now do this online. Maybe take a look at the website. Best to stay honest with the taxman.

Last edited by bakedbean; Jan 10th 2014 at 11:46 am. Reason: Bloody autocorrect grrrrrrrr
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you're not resident in the UK any longer you don't need to file a tax return with HMRC. You can do a P85 now and send it in. It generally ends up with them giving you a tax rebate so it's worth doing.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 11:41 am
AW1
Just Joined

AW1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your biggest worry is not your Tax. Now that you are out of the common travel area. The biggest problem facing you is returning home