Moving to Osaka

Old Nov 30th 2017, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Mr.pastgit is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Osaka

Hi there,

Recently I got a job offer as an assistant professor in Osaka Univesity. So I will be moving to Japan from April coming year for approximately two years .

I am looking for a bit of advice on accommodation. University website suggests Kasugaoka house which is fairly close to the university and prices are for A type (1K): ¥90,000 and for B type (1LDK): ¥135,000 I usually work 8-10 hours, favourably in the evenings, so being close to university is a plus! However, at the same time, I prefer to live in a more accessible area with good nightlife.

From your experience how had it can be to get around in Osaka, especially in the morning, is it worth to go with what university offers? How about the rent cost, is it expensive or reasonable? Is there any map of the city showing the friendly areas for foreigners to live at?

Many thanks,

Marti
Old Dec 1st 2017, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Osaka

I used to live in Tokyo, not Osaka. Having said that, the usual mode of transportation within the city is by public transportation (train, bus). Most of this public transportation stops at around midnight or 1AM. This is something you need to take into account if you plan to enjoy nightlife. Taxi's are expensive, especially after midnight, and things like Uber/Grab are not allowed in Japan, thus not available.

What is the size of the offered A type (1K) and B type (1LDK)? I guess that these are of the category "shoebox".
Old Dec 1st 2017, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Hey,
Thanks for the reply.
I wonder how crazy it can get in the morning?!
Type As are 32. m.sq and Bs are 65 m.sq. is it cheap?! or isn't better to go for short-term and look for accommodation later after I moved in?
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr.pastgit
Hey,
Thanks for the reply.
I wonder how crazy it can get in the morning?!
Type As are 32. m.sq and Bs are 65 m.sq. is it cheap?! or isn't better to go for short-term and look for accommodation later after I moved in?
The morning rush hour in the public transportation in Japan is famous for being crowded. It takes some time to get used to, but forms part of your "cultural experience" while living and working there.

I'm not sure how large/small room you are used to, but living longer term in a room of 32 sq.m. would make me rather claustrophobic. That is a lot smaller than many hotel rooms in other countries. The floor space you mention, for the prices you mentioned, seem regular prices to me.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 8:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they are actually pushing people into a train that is already probably 150% full.

There's a lot to be said for being within walking or cycling distance of your place of work. However, it does get disgustingly hot and sticky in the summer, so you need to check if you can use the uni's shower facilities before planning on that mode of transport.

If you can travel outside of rush hour, then it's not so bad. Also, the route may not be so bad. As far as I recall, tenancy agreements are for a year, but if you can get a shorter one then it would give you the option to work out the optimum place to live before committing for longer term.

As to the size of the apartments -- When in Rome... Most early/mid-career Japanese live in apartments which are extremely small.

Osaka's a fun town, and probably has whatever sort of nightlife you're after, and maybe a fair amount that you never new existed. (If you want a bit more sophistication, head an hour west to Kobe )

Edit: Oh, and watch the movie Black Rain before you go...
Old Dec 7th 2017, 9:15 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Also, it's common for employers to pay employees' commutation fees (train/bus season ticket); obviously you need to check your employment contract. Although train/bus fares are relatively cheap, they will mount up over a year.

My first year in Kobe was in government housing (I forget the Japanese term for it), on Port Island, and it was fine. However, I've seen some in and around Osaka which I definitely wouldn't want to live in, in respect of both location and upkeep. Thereafter in Kobe I chose my own accommodation (and paid a premium on top of my employer's allowance), and as with most things in Japan it was excellent but bureaucratic (I had to attend an "interview" with the landlords to make sure I was the right kind of gaijin).

I lived for a year in two アパート in Yokohama selected by my employer; one was fine, the other was god-awful.

Why not ask to speak to other westerners they've employed? 十人十色 and all that, but at least you should be able to glean some information.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I had to attend an "interview" with the landlords to make sure I was the right kind of gaijin
This is indeed fairly common: many landlords prefer to not have a foreigner as tenant.

To the topic starter: it is advisable to ask your employer how the new tax laws will affect you at the end of your employment. Japan seems to have recently implemented a sort of exit-tax for foreigners who leave the country. I'm not sure about the details, but read articles in which it is feared that no high skilled workers will want to go to Japan any longer.

Last edited by SushiFan; Dec 8th 2017 at 7:48 am.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SushiFan
To the topic starter: it is advisable to ask your employer how the new tax laws will affect you at the end of your employment. Japan seems to have recently implemented a sort of exit-tax for foreigners who leave the country. I'm not sure about the details, but read articles in which it is feared that no high skilled workers will want to go to Japan any longer.
hmm
Interesting, so possibly they will tax you on any of your gains during your stay in Japan seems not fair to me, last time I checked, had to deduct 25% of my salary for it, that includes pension which probably I will never going to have
Old Dec 8th 2017, 10:53 am
Just Joined

My first year in Kobe was in government housing (I forget the Japanese term for it), on Port Island, and it was fine. However, I've seen some in and around Osaka which I definitely wouldn't want to live in, in respect of both location and upkeep. Thereafter in Kobe I chose my own accommodation (and paid a premium on top of my employer's allowance), and as with most things in Japan it was excellent but bureaucratic (I had to attend an "interview" with the landlords to make sure I was the right kind of gaijin).
My workplace is northern part of the city, Handaibyoin-Mae Station? is it a place you recommend?
Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:04 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Mr.pastgit
My workplace is northern part of the city, Handaibyoin-Mae Station? is it a place you recommend?
Long time since I was there, but Bahtatgirl is, as I write, on a plane from KIX, so I'll enquire.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:27 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

I have been here in Kawasaki/Yokohama 11 years and never seen a train pusher - oshiya. Having said that at busy times people reverse into the carriage and push everyone backwards, which is just as painful. The key is never stand between the doors on a busy train - shuffle down the carriage. To beat the crush we start work in Yokohama at 8am and finish early so worth exploring timekeeping. Also get a commuter pass once you have settled down. Check out this site about pension contributions Retire Japan - Home For accommodation, check out the 'add ons' - key money, utility charges, internet and phone line charges, cleaning charges, insurance and others.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live not far from Osaka University and the rent for 1LDK seems a little high. This website is in Japanese but google translate can usually get you in the right direction so you can compare rates: https://www.homes.co.jp/ Anything less than 45 sq m would drive me crazy.
The university is in the north part of the city and you are close to some very nice parks. You definitely should arrange to be within walking distance of any of the train lines - and then you will have access to most of Kansai. The Midosuji line or the Hankyu line will get you into the city in 30 minutes and give you all the nightlife you could want. Osaka is amazing and I am sure you will enjoy yourself, especially the food.
There is hardly any resistance to being a foreigner in this part of the world and I can't imagine you being turned down for an apartment. That used to be the case a long time ago but I haven't heard of that happening here for many years.
All the train lines are busy but not as bad as Tokyo and most commutes are quite short. Summer is worst because of the heat and humidity, but these days you don't have to wear a tie and jacket so its not too bad (what am I saying - the heat and humidity are terrible I can't think of a positive spin - sorry).
Enjoy yourself.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:18 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anzen12
I can't imagine you being turned down for an apartment. That used to be the case a long time ago but I haven't heard of that happening here for many years.
Only because it's actually illegal these days. Saying that so is 礼金 (Key Money) but unfortunately that practice is still common place.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:21 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
This is indeed fairly common: many landlords prefer to not have a foreigner as tenant.

Because the points based system was attracting enough attention already? Madness really but it's probably just another way to discourage the Eikaiwa industry, the lower end of which frequently seems to recruit new staff overseas rather than paying the going rate for those already with legal status and experience in Japan.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:23 am
Sidecar Falcon

http://images.says.com/uploads/story...humb_fe8b.jpeg

Yes, they are actually pushing people into a train that is already probably 150% full.

There's a lot to be said for being within walking or cycling distance of your place of work. However, it does get disgustingly hot and sticky in the summer, so you need to check if you can use the uni's shower facilities before planning on that mode of transport.

If you can travel outside of rush hour, then it's not so bad. Also, the route may not be so bad. As far as I recall, tenancy agreements are for a year, but if you can get a shorter one then it would give you the option to work out the optimum place to live before committing for longer term.

As to the size of the apartments -- When in Rome... Most early/mid-career Japanese live in apartments which are extremely small.

Osaka's a fun town, and probably has whatever sort of nightlife you're after, and maybe a fair amount that you never new existed. (If you want a bit more sophistication, head an hour west to Kobe )

Edit: Oh, and watch the movie Black Rain before you go...
Probably worth pointing out that image is of the Yamanote Line in Tokyo at rush hour and the Yamanote is possibly the busiest commuter line in any first world country. It's usually less common for the Osaka trains to be that crowded these days. I do really love Osaka tbh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.