Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Moving from Florida, USA to Tokyo, Japan

Moving from Florida, USA to Tokyo, Japan

Old May 10th 2008, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

crafty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Florida, USA to Tokyo, Japan

I hope I am in the right place...We are a family of 3 moving to Japan this summer. We have visited before and the experience was awesome! We are very excited but with many questions as the moving time is approaching.
We are planning on moving by summer (up until August) to make it easier for our daugther (doesn't speak Japanese yet) for her school year starting next April.
We have started packing (leaving the boxes open) my husband has applied for jobs in Tokyo and we are looking at places to live already.
We are still debating if as to use a moving company or mail everything in boxes 'tru the mail. (that is the question of the moment, I am sure many more will come as the days progress).
I have received a couple of quotes already from various moving companies and the prices are between $4,000.00-$6,000.00 but we hope we could do it for much less than that as we don't want to take much with us. Actually, no furniture whatsoever.
Any advice that could be offered would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 11th 2008, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Dandy will become famous soon enoughDandy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving from Florida, USA to Tokyo, Japan

Hmm, OK, is there any subject in particular that you want advice on? Several people here seem to live in Japan, no doubt somebody will know something...

Dandy
Old May 12th 2008, 1:20 am
Just Joined

crafty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Florida, USA to Tokyo, Japan

The question was on moving/packing tips from USA to Japan or any other international move for that matter.
To me, it seems like a lot of money to move my belongings from here to there for a quote of 4 to 6 thousand dollars.
Are you or anybody else familiar with a moving company and was it worth it from your point of view? Would you do it again?
Thanks!