Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Question About Salary for Working in Tokyo

Question About Salary for Working in Tokyo

Old Dec 18th 2016, 6:46 am
Just Joined

expattobe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question About Salary for Working in Tokyo

Hi, I'm a single and professional who is considering moving to Tokyo. Just wondering whether salary JPY750,000 a month with accommodation provided by the Employer is considered on high or low side? My lifestyle is basic as I don't go clubbing, drinking alcohol or spending unnecessary stuff. How much saving can I expect after deducting expenses on meal, transport, utilities bills, Japanese classes (hope to learn Japanese), sports and entertainment (such as gym, watching movies etc)? What is the income tax like? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question About Salary for Working in Tokyo

I used to live and work in Tokyo although I'm not living there any more.
You mention 750 kJPY. Does this include the monthly rent, or is that paid for separately? Do you have to pay your income taxes yourself or will your employer take care of it? It also depends on the tax regime: depending on the situation do you either have to pay taxes in Japan, or in your home country.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SushiFan
I used to live and work in Tokyo although I'm not living there any more.
You mention 750 kJPY. Does this include the monthly rent, or is that paid for separately? Do you have to pay your income taxes yourself or will your employer take care of it? It also depends on the tax regime: depending on the situation do you either have to pay taxes in Japan, or in your home country.
Thank you for the reply, SushiFan.

The accommodation will be provided by the Employer but I have to pay the income tax on my own. What is the quantum of income tax likely to be for my case?
Old Dec 19th 2016, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

The average annual income in Japan is roughly 4.5 to 5 million JPY. This includes salary, bonuses and so on. The average worker has to pay his rent or mortgage from this gross income. So you can see that you will be a lot above this average (750 k JPY plus rent per month).
Income tax in Japan is explained on the website of the Japanese tax office: https://www.jetro.go.jp/en/invest/se...on3/page7.html (Table 3.7).
I am not sure whether you have to add the rent to your income.
Besides the national income tax you also have to pay city tax, which is also determined based on your income. Each city sets its own tax percentages. Within Tokyo it depends on which "ku" you live in (e.g. Minato-ku, Shibuya-ku).
Old Dec 19th 2016, 2:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Eight years ago my annual salary was 3 million yen and I lived quite happily in Shinjuku-ku and paid my own rent. You'll be earning three times that with free accommodation. You should be rolling in it.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Dear All, sorry for late reply. All your answers have been very helpful to me. No decision has been made yet so far as I have another upcoming telephone interview from Australia soon. Thanks and I wish everyone a very great new year ahead!
Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:40 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to back up everyone else here, 750k JPY p/m is an absolutely livable salary. Tokyo would be your oyster on that kind of money.

You don't really need to pay anything towards Japanese tuition either. The Japanese language was pretty much cracked by academics in the 60-90's when it looked as though Japan was going to become the next number 1 economy on Earth. There are plenty of textbooks and free resources out there to help and you can practice outside with strangers or make local friends.