Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japanese etiquette etc.... HELP!!!

Japanese etiquette etc.... HELP!!!

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:57 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Japanese etiquette etc.... HELP!!!

Cheers Bahtat. As I said, it's being held down at the swimming pool so we'll be sandals on. Socks in the Tropics? Are you kidding?

Still haven't bought anything yet but have had a couple of ideas. I know a couple of speciality shops. One does teas. One does chocs. Yeh the chocs will most likely melt in this climate. I'm thinking Teas at the moment
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 3:49 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Tea's good. Earl Grey is popular. Plus it often comes nicely packaged to starr with, which is a plus.

And you're British, goddamit, so of course socks. Especially with sandals.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I'll see what they've got. I imagine it'll be all Malaysian teas, since they grow the stuff here. I'll report back.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:11 am

Dozo worked a treat - cheers Gen Togo

Took some specialty teas and that seemed to be OK too.

It wasn't really Japanese as such. A few Japanese there but mostly a melting pot of all sorts of different expats.

Thanks everyone.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Dozo worked a treat - cheers Gen Togo
Yokatta! (That's good, I'm glad)

If you develop a rapport (nakayoshi) with them over the coming months just re-bump this thread if further questions come to mind.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:35 am
Just Joined

MWeaver is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Our Japanese neighbours have invited us to their housewarming party. The guy speaks no English whatsoever. I get on with lady quite well in a combination of her broken English (she's learning English bless her) and sign language. I know absolutely no Japanese. Not one word. And clueless about etiquette. So help me out folks.

Maybe a couple of little easy phrases. What to do. What not to do.
These are all helpful tips to be sure! I can't wait to go there next year. I'm reading up on Japaneses etiquette as well. One thing that struck me is they can use politeness as a way to make fun of the foreigner. The guide I was reading stated that overpoliteness might not be a sign of respect, but rather of disapproval and sarcasm. When this happens, better check how you and your ways are rubbing on the people. Good to know, anyway.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Definitely shoes off. If you were taking me, check that I didn't have any holes in my socks before we left home.

Chopsticks. Worst possible thing is to leave them sticking up out of your rice bowl--never, ever do that. If you're not using them (and they're only to be used for eating, not pointing with or catching flies), place them on their rest. Equally worst thing is to pass a piece of food from your chopsticks to someone else's. Both actions associated with death. And unlike in China, food is to be taken from the serving plates to your own plate (in small quantities), and then eaten from your own plate: don't eat directly from the serving plates. And don't be fazed by everyone taking food from the serving plates with their own chopsticks (you can use the blunt end to do so, but it always comes across a bit twee), its just how its done. I was recently in China with colleagues and the rest of the non-Chinese contingent insisted on serving spoons, rather than follow the lead of their Chinese hosts and just dig in. Don't know if our hosts took offence, but it did seem a bit insensitive.

Don't be surprised if your host (or anyone else) lights up a cigarette mid-meal.

Burping's ok, farting isn't. Chewing with your mouth open is not unusual.

Being drunk isn't frowned upon like it is in the west, although behaving like a complete arse is.

"This is delicious" = o'ishii desu (oh ish ee dess)
"That was delicious" = o'ishikatta (oh ish e katta)
"Nice to meet you (for the first time)" = hajimemashite (haj e me(t) mash te)

All in all, just try to follow the lead of your hosts and any Japanese guests, but don't worry--they know we're uncouth barbarians and they make allowances

As to a present: Definitely not money. A cake or biscuits is often best, especially if you can get something typically English. But whatever you take, make sure its gift-wrapped exquisitely, and preferably then in a pretty bag. I'd advise against booze--few Japanese really appreciate good wine, sake is very individual, and with whisky or brandy the Japanese love expensive stuff to drown with ice and water, which really shouldn't be encouraged.

Ganbatte!
Excellent advice. Thank you. I'll be heading for Japan around early march-ish.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:37 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

You should also start each meal with a Japanese person/family with the phrase:

Itadakimasu (Ee-ta-da-key-ma-ss) meaning 'let's eat'

And end the meal with:

Gochisosamadeshita (Goh-chee-so-sa-mah-deh-shta) which roughly translates as 'thank you for the food'.

You can give money as a gift if you like, especially to kids, but it should be concealed in an envolpe or at least wrapped in some tissue paper or something, and should not be handed bare across the dinner table (which is a mistake I made during my first trip there).

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 4th 2012 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Craig1987
Excellent advice. Thank you. I'll be heading for Japan around early march-ish.
oh that sounds exciting. where are you going to? new job?