Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japanese business card etiquette

Japanese business card etiquette

Old Sep 14th 2005, 5:48 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Japanese business card etiquette

I'm a Brit, living in Canada and soon going to a conference in the US, where I am hoping to meet with a number of delegates from large companies in Japan.

Confused yet?

Anyway, I am aware that there is a certain etiquette involved when it comes to swapping business cards with the Japanese. I'm not sure what it is but I believe that it is important. I want to make the right impression as I will be looking to contact the companies in future.

Can anyone provide advice on what the correct form is?

Thanks.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice
Default Re: Japanese business card etiquette

Off the top of my head, you normally take the card with both hands, always appear to read it - both sides, never write on the card. Make sure you have lots of cards at the ready!

If you want to make an impression you could even go as far having your card translated into Japanese, and have one side in Japanese, the other english!

Few other tips here ... http://www.sideroad.com/Business_Eti...etiquette.html
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ****** eejit
Off the top of my head, you normally take the card with both hands, always appear to read it - both sides, never write on the card. Make sure you have lots of cards at the ready!

If you want to make an impression you could even go as far having your card translated into Japanese, and have one side in Japanese, the other english!

Few other tips here ... http://www.sideroad.com/Business_Eti...etiquette.html
That's spot-on. Thanks a lot.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Noriko is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Japanese business card etiquette

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That's spot-on. Thanks a lot.
When you pass your card to the person, you give it up-side-down.
It means the person doesnt need to rotate your card to read it.
And when you get his/her card, you will get it bottom-side-down to you.

plus, as mentioned above, take it with both hands and
do not cover their names on the card with your thumbs.

When I was new graduate, I was told "the business card is their face,
do not write on it, do not make dirty".
You can hold the card by your one hand if you are talking standing,
or if you sit at the table, you put their card on the table while the meeting.
When you finish meeting or conversation with them, you put their card
in your card case saying "Thank you for your card.".

I hope it helps some.

Noriko
Old Sep 15th 2005, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Noriko
When you pass your card to the person, you give it up-side-down.
It means the person doesnt need to rotate your card to read it.
And when you get his/her card, you will get it bottom-side-down to you.

plus, as mentioned above, take it with both hands and
do not cover their names on the card with your thumbs.

When I was new graduate, I was told "the business card is their face,
do not write on it, do not make dirty".
You can hold the card by your one hand if you are talking standing,
or if you sit at the table, you put their card on the table while the meeting.
When you finish meeting or conversation with them, you put their card
in your card case saying "Thank you for your card.".

I hope it helps some.

Noriko
Noriko: thank you very much. That is very useful advice.

I will only have a very short time to talk to these people when I meet them. I want to get in touch with them after the conference. Obviously it is important to give a good impression from the very start. What you have told me will help a lot.

I have a nice card case somewhere. I must find it.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Noriko: thank you very much. That is very useful advice.

I will only have a very short time to talk to these people when I meet them. I want to get in touch with them after the conference. Obviously it is important to give a good impression from the very start. What you have told me will help a lot.

I have a nice card case somewhere. I must find it.
One little bit to add, you would bow a bit when you give your business card with both hands, and bow again when you receive one from the other person. Just watch how much the other person bows and mirror him/her. Always bow at the same angle or slighly more to look humble if the peron is older than or senior to you.

Because lots of Japanese businessmen/businesswomen are more westernized these days, the rules don't always apply, especially when you meet the younger generation. A general rule is to observe what they do and copy them.

Gambattekudasai.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Sep 16th 2005, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
One little bit to add, you would bow a bit when you give your business card with both hands, and bow again when you receive one from the other person. Just watch how much the other person bows and mirror him/her. Always bow at the same angle or slighly more to look humble if the peron is older than or senior to you.

Because lots of Japanese businessmen/businesswomen are more westernized these days, the rules don't always apply, especially when you meet the younger generation. A general rule is to observe what they do and copy them.

Gambattekudasai.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
I'd thought about the bowing. I reckon these people will be fairly westernised, or at least familiar with westerners. The industry they are in is very international and the conference will be in English.

That being said, the number of Japanese delegates is disproportionate. I suspect some of them may just be along for the ride. I'm sure that fact that the conference is being held at a golfing resort is of no significance whatsoever.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:54 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Souvenir]I'd thought about the bowing.QUOTE]

To be honest, I'd probably not attempt the bowing - there is a lot of etiquette involved in it, and if you get it wrong it may do more harm than good, depending on your relationship with the other party. Certainly it will not do you any harm to NOT bow - they wouldn't expect it - and it may be the safest course, rather than risking upsetting anyone.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:40 pm

[QUOTE=Yorkieabroad]
I'd thought about the bowing.QUOTE]

To be honest, I'd probably not attempt the bowing - there is a lot of etiquette involved in it, and if you get it wrong it may do more harm than good, depending on your relationship with the other party. Certainly it will not do you any harm to NOT bow - they wouldn't expect it - and it may be the safest course, rather than risking upsetting anyone.
Wise words.

Getting the etiquette wrong could do more harm than good, particularly if I get the timing wrong, too, and end up giving some guy a nosebleed
Old Sep 20th 2005, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Noriko is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Souvenir]
Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

Wise words.

Getting the etiquette wrong could do more harm than good, particularly if I get the timing wrong, too, and end up giving some guy a nosebleed
hahaha, relax and dont worry too much.
As long as you are doing the right thing and have right attitude in
YOUR culture, they undestand.
We have the same proverb with When in Rome do as the Romes do.

Noriko