Reload this Page >

Japan / UK migration visa question

Japan / UK migration visa question

Old Feb 13th 2010, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Flanners is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Japan / UK migration visa question

Hi

I am British and my soon-to-be wife is Japanese.

I have read that for us to live in Japan or for us to live in England then a spouse visa should be no problem.

My question is, is it possible to get a spouse visa multiple times.
For example, as I cannot speak fluent Japanese we want to live in England for the next few years. Then I would like to try life in Japan out. After living in Japan we may then decide that England is best.

My question is, after a few years in each country can my wife get another spouse visa and come back to the UK? (and vice versa)

can we bounce back and forward a few times, or do we have to decide a country and stick to it?

Cheers
Old Feb 13th 2010, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Jamo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Japan / UK migration visa question

I'm a British guy with a Japanese wife. I have a spouse visa at present. From what I've heard it's pretty much a gimme with the immigration people if you're from the UK. Renewing it won't be a problem. Moving back and forth won't hurt you either, although it may affect your chance of permanent residency should you choose to get one, that's usually a gimme after five years residence under a spouse visa.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Scott Bower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jamo
I'm a British guy with a Japanese wife. I have a spouse visa at present. From what I've heard it's pretty much a gimme with the immigration people if you're from the UK. Renewing it won't be a problem. Moving back and forth won't hurt you either, although it may affect your chance of permanent residency should you choose to get one, that's usually a gimme after five years residence under a spouse visa.
Hi, I'm Canadian married to a Japanese and living in Japan for the past 20 years. I'd say as long as you are married you'll always be able to get spouce visas either here or in England. Permanent residency might not be quite such a done deal after 5 years. I was here for 15 and married for 5 before immigration was up for it. Then you have to get your in-laws to fill in stacks of paperwork to get it done. Having it is a big advantage though.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:39 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm British and my wife is Japanese. We moved to UK about 15 years ago, stayed for 3 years, went back to Japan then to Egypt, then came back "permanently" (I don't think I know what that word means anymore) to UK 12 years ago. At some point--I think shortly after coming back to UK 12 years ago--my wife was granted Permanent Right of Abode in the UK, quite possibly linked to the duration of our marriage and sprog number 3 bring born in the UK. Don't know what the exact rules are, but I suggest you check them out.

At the time of first coming back it wasn't that straightforward to get her a spouse visa--had to prove various things including my financial status (what, married and not broke?).

She still hasn't got (and doesn't want) a UK passport, but that's never been a problem when entering / leaving UK--ocassionally at first immigration seemed interested, but now with the PROA visa (which is in her now-defunct passport) there's no problem.

Good luck and omedeto!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Flanners is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guys.