Im Moving To Japan

Old Dec 25th 2002, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

lee78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Im Moving To Japan

Hi
Im wondering if anyone has any information they can give me.
my situation is this.
Im 24 year old male from the uk, and my girlfriend is 22 year old japanese girl from saitama near tokyo. i have been to japan for a holiday and she has been to the uk for a holiday. now i want to move to japan. i have known her for about 15 months now.
we plan to marry after i have been in japan about a week or two, then i will go to the immigration office and ask for my visa status to be changed from a tourist visa to a spouse
I don't know the questions i will be asked by the immigration officer.
I have concerns that they wont give me a visa cos i wont have much money, (almost zero) will that be a problem do you think? of course i know it wont be a problem for me, cos i know my girlfriend can support me until i find a job, but will the immigration think its a problem?
I will be staying at her parents house with her, so i wont have to pay for any accommodation or foods, so i hope this will help my case.
The second problem i have concerns about is.. will they ask me if i have debt back in the uk? again its no a problem for me, cos my girlfriend will pay it until i get a job, would that be acceptable to an immigration officer? should i lie about my debt? can they find out?
When i enter japan i will say my reason for entering japan is for a holiday, because im concerned if i say im entering to marry and to stay, they will want to see that i have enough funds to support myself until i find a job. will this become a problem in the immigration office? i mean will the immigration officer ask me what reason i gave when entering japan? if i tell him i said for a holiday, could that stop me from getting a visa?
just how easy is it to get a spouse visa in japan? and how long does it usually take to obtain a spouse visa.
I would just like to know what kind of questions they will ask me, so i can prepare myself.
I have already obtained a certificate of no impediment to marry, is there anything else i need to marry in japan?
I have already booked my plane tickets, and i will be giving my job up soon, so i would be very grateful for any information on these topics.

Thank you so much for reading
Lee
Old Jan 8th 2003, 2:02 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im Moving To Japan

Originally posted by lee78
Hi
Im wondering if anyone has any information they can give me.
my situation is this.
Im 24 year old male from the uk, and my girlfriend is 22 year old japanese girl from saitama near tokyo. i have been to japan for a holiday and she has been to the uk for a holiday. now i want to move to japan. i have known her for about 15 months now.
we plan to marry after i have been in japan about a week or two, then i will go to the immigration office and ask for my visa status to be changed from a tourist visa to a spouse
I don't know the questions i will be asked by the immigration officer.
I have concerns that they wont give me a visa cos i wont have much money, (almost zero) will that be a problem do you think? of course i know it wont be a problem for me, cos i know my girlfriend can support me until i find a job, but will the immigration think its a problem?
I will be staying at her parents house with her, so i wont have to pay for any accommodation or foods, so i hope this will help my case.
The second problem i have concerns about is.. will they ask me if i have debt back in the uk? again its no a problem for me, cos my girlfriend will pay it until i get a job, would that be acceptable to an immigration officer? should i lie about my debt? can they find out?
When i enter japan i will say my reason for entering japan is for a holiday, because im concerned if i say im entering to marry and to stay, they will want to see that i have enough funds to support myself until i find a job. will this become a problem in the immigration office? i mean will the immigration officer ask me what reason i gave when entering japan? if i tell him i said for a holiday, could that stop me from getting a visa?
just how easy is it to get a spouse visa in japan? and how long does it usually take to obtain a spouse visa.
I would just like to know what kind of questions they will ask me, so i can prepare myself.
I have already obtained a certificate of no impediment to marry, is there anything else i need to marry in japan?
I have already booked my plane tickets, and i will be giving my job up soon, so i would be very grateful for any information on these topics.

Thank you so much for reading
Lee
You really to look for information on the Japanese Embassy's website for immigration visa. To marry in Japan, the legal way for you may be to obtain a fiance type visa to enter Japan BEFORE you enter the country.

If you follow your plan as you described above, I'm sure what you intend to do would be regarded as immigration fraud and will cause you incredible problems in the future.

Even as a tourist, I think that Japanese immigration may check on how much money you have to take care of yourself whilst you are in Japan.

Also, on a practical point, if you seriously intend on living in Japan, you must learn the language but you may know some already.

Best of luck,

NC Penguin
Old Jan 8th 2003, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your message NC Penguin
however, i have already phoned the japanese embassy and looked at there web site, and there is no such type of visa that u suggest i asked the japanese embassy how i should go about marrying in japan, and they said i only have to obtain a certificate of no impediment, then when i get to japan, take the certificate to the british embassy and they will translate it into japanese, then i can get married. then apply for a spouse visa.
your right even on a tourist visa they will check how much money i have, cos they did when i went to japan for a holiday.
but as far as they know, i am going for a holiday. and isn't it up to the person if they suddenly decide they want to stay in the country? as along as they are no breaking any laws by staying there. and i wont be.
and your right, it is a good idea to learn the language of the country u would like to live. that's why i am studying it each day, and have been for the past year.

Lee
Old Jan 8th 2003, 9:51 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lee78
Thanks for your message NC Penguin
however, i have already phoned the japanese embassy and looked at there web site, and there is no such type of visa that u suggest i asked the japanese embassy how i should go about marrying in japan, and they said i only have to obtain a certificate of no impediment, then when i get to japan, take the certificate to the british embassy and they will translate it into japanese, then i can get married. then apply for a spouse visa.

It would be most beneficial if you could see the information you were given verbally in writing. Is this information not on any Japanese Embassy website (e.g. not just the Embassy in the UK. How about the USA?).

your right even on a tourist visa they will check how much money i have, cos they did when i went to japan for a holiday.
but as far as they know, i am going for a holiday. and isn't it up to the person if they suddenly decide they want to stay in the country? as along as they are no breaking any laws by staying there. and i wont be.

My question is if you get this "certificate of no impediment in advance", how will you answer answer questions at Immigration about the reason for your visit to Japan?

You would be lying if you replied anything along the lines of a holiday or a visit. Otherwise, why would be you be carrying the "certificate of no impediment" with you?

Also, you would be entering without a visa and so would be entitled to stay for up to six months. Do you know how long it would take to obtain your spousal visa in Japan? If it takes longer than the six month period for which you may stay in Japan, will you leave Japan until it is granted? Are you allowed to stay in Japan as long as it takes to be processed or will you be out of status?

You may have found the answers to these questions already.If not, you should look at the archives for this other appropriate newsgroups for answers.

and your right, it is a good idea to learn the language of the country u would like to live. that's why i am studying it each day, and have been for the past year.

As important as the language is to adapt to the Japanese cuisine. I'm sure you've discovered it's more than just sushi, sashimi and tofu. British and Western food is available but it comes at a price (if you want pretty authentic or foreign branded stuff) so it's best to adapt to a wholly Japanese diet, plus it's better for your health.

Hope all goes well.

NC Penguin

<<snip>>
Old Jan 8th 2003, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your very quick reply NC haha.

you said.. You would be lying if you replied anything along the lines of a holiday or a visit. Otherwise, why would be you be carrying the "certificate of no impediment" with you?

my answer would be, well yes i did intend to come to japan for a holiday AND marry my girlfriend, BUT i intended to go back to england after i married, BUT now me and my girlfriend have decided maybe its better if i stay in japan, and i now wish to apply for a spouse visa. cant a person change there mind if its within the law? and i will say, yes your right, i should have said i intended to marry also, but i didn't think it was so important, as i intended to leave japan soon after the marriage, i didn't know my plans would change after the marriage if they accept that answer, if they accept that answer, then ill be happy, its the best i can do in my situation now. if they dont, then i will look for a job and a company to sponsor me, and if i find, ill apply for a working visa. i will keep trying every possible way to stay in japan, within the six months i am allowed.

however, i dont know if they will ask me what reason i gave at the airport for entering japan, and i dont know if they can find out. i will have to just see what happens, i can only try.

and no i dont know how long it takes to get a spouse visa, that's why i asked at this web site.
and your right i can stay in japan for 6 months on a tourist visa, if i dont get a visa in 6 months, then of course i will come back to england.

yeah your right, to eat all japanese is a lot more healthy and cheap, so that's what i will do, i already like a lot of japanese foods, so im ok

thanks again for your interest.

Lee