Wrapping up

Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Re: Wrapping up

Whilst we're moving onto the subject, can I ask about car seats in the UK....I have a friend coming to visit from Milan to UK, and she thought we could do it the Italian way and get by without a car seat for a few days. However, I've heard that you can't take a baby home from the hospital without a car seat. So baby needs to be in car seat at all times - right? She is 10 mths. Pls advise.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
Whilst we're moving onto the subject, can I ask about car seats in the UK....I have a friend coming to visit from Milan to UK, and she thought we could do it the Italian way and get by without a car seat for a few days. However, I've heard that you can't take a baby home from the hospital without a car seat. So baby needs to be in car seat at all times - right? She is 10 mths. Pls advise.
When I had my son in UK they even checked he was placed correctly in the car seat and carried him to the car. She must be in a car seat, I think the driver would get a hefty fine if you were caught. Its just unheard of here, a child in a car without a seat.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Ariel, in the UK now they are quite hot on this. I think it is european law that all kids until they either get to a certain height or a certain age (I think the age might be 10) need to be in an age appropriate car seat. Is she hiring a car? If so she can prob request a car seat for the child for a small fee. It is something she or you are likely to get stopped for if the police see you and it isn't really socially acceptable any more in the UK. You might be able to buy a cheap one from the free ad paper or whatever. Also, if you did happen to have an accident in the car with an unrestrained child how would you feel? You couldn't take a child from hospital when I had my kids without a car seat and the midwives checked it for us before we left too, but the last time i had a kid was six years ago.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:45 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, she has to have a car seat, it would, literally, be unthinkable in the UK not to and you have a very good chance of being stopped and fined without one! The police are hot on this sort of thing now. As she is ten months you will probably still need a reverse facing one too, one of those that is portable? It depends on her weight but if she is under 15kgs she should be rear facing and not in the front with an active air bag - just so you know everything you need to!! If it means buying one, they are expensive, I would contact the local maternity ward and ask if they know where you could hire one without having to hire a car, or contact your local branch of the NCT - National Childbirth Trust (used to be Natural) - they may have a member who wants to sell one. You aren't supposed to use a secondhand seat because you don't know if the previous owner had an accident while using it that might have damaged the seats integrity, but I think needs must in this instance!!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

If she is in a rear facing car seat the airlines will sometimes let you take them into the cabin with you (sometimes). I have also checked them in - carriers and bigger ones - on top of the baggage allowance. I used to put them into the biggest bin liner I could buy. Sometimes this meant taking scissors and sellotape to the airport.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:07 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivingHere
If she is in a rear facing car seat the airlines will sometimes let you take them into the cabin with you (sometimes). I have also checked them in - carriers and bigger ones - on top of the baggage allowance. I used to put them into the biggest bin liner I could buy. Sometimes this meant taking scissors and sellotape to the airport.
I've taken our car seats back to the UK several times on the airoplanes too. The airline didn't charge anything extra and as it was free it was better than having to pay extra to the car hire company. We just had to dump them at the outsize baggage drop off after putting the normal cases through check-in.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Thanks all. It won't be a hire car - it's our own car. So does it have to be forward facing under 15kg?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:51 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

under 15kg it has to be rear facing - so the back of the babies head is towards the front windscreen if that makes sense! Does your friend not have one at all then? They are pretty expensive to buy.. I'd explain it to your friend in terms that she would understand, so for the British it is equivalent to something an Italian would be completely horrified by. Like swimming or taking a bath straight after a meal ( when it is just to splash around in the pool, rather than 100's of lengths that is!) It's the only way I can think of that would make her understand why it is so important to us. Also I believe it is now not just a fine but points and a possible ban, depending on where and how fast you are driving etc. if stopped - and unlike here in Italy, you can almost guarantee you will be stopped! HTH!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

15kg is pretty big. My almost four year old still isn't there yet. Ten months old is where you can start changing. If your friend has already changed car seat to a forward facing one she could still bring the other one. They tend to be easier to carry, and you can carry the baby in it.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

She will defo have one as they have 2 cars in Milan. I think it's just the hassle of having to take it from their car thru the airport. I think they are just going to have to bring it unless I can find someone who can loan u one for a few day. This isn't very likely tho becasue the people who have them need them and the people who don't need them don't have one Catch my dirft?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:22 pm
The Original Red Head!

It's always worth asking though. Some people might have a spare for grandparents cars or somesuch..

After what you said Livinghere I had to go and check I'd got the weights right! The smallest group seats are up to 13kg rather than 15kg, so not too far out but the one that surprised and made me realise just how fast babies grow was that the next size goes up to age 4 and 18kgs - not that much of a difference in weight but the first is only recommended for up to age 15mths!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

She will defo have one as they have 2 cars in Milan. I think it's just the hassle of having to take it from their car thru the airport. I think they are just going to have to bring it unless I can find someone who can loan u one for a few day. This isn't very likely tho becasue the people who have them need them and the people who don't need them don't have one Catch my dirft?
Ariel definitely ask around, we used to have two, one for each car and the grandparents brought one too so someone may be able to loan you one or have one stashed in the garage cos most people don't buy second hand for the reasons TR stated above. I must admit that I have taken them thru the airport but the kind with the backs are a bit bulky, especially if you are trying to manage a small child and luggage etc. especially as you can never get parked v. close at the airports nowadays in the UK to pick peeps up!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. The cheapest car seat in Boots is 85quid. Crikey. They go up in sizes .. So does that mean you mums have to buy car seats like you have to buy shoes?!!

Anyway, we'll have to find 1 some how. I was smiling to myself today when thinking that Italian kids can go without car seats / seat belts, but not without a hat or scarf in a breeze.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. The cheapest car seat in Boots is 85quid. Crikey. They go up in sizes .. So does that mean you mums have to buy car seats like you have to buy shoes?!!

Anyway, we'll have to find 1 some how. I was smiling to myself today when thinking that Italian kids can go without car seats / seat belts, but not without a hat or scarf in a breeze.
you don't have to buy car seats as often as shoes (hopefully!!! ) you normally buy a stage 0 one which is one of those carry ones you see to use from birth til about 7(ish) months and then buy one that is forward facing that takes you from about 8mths til about 4years and then, you are normally into booster seat territory until they hit about 10. There is one that might fit the bill in Argos for £34.99 that is a group 0-1 so takes a child from birth up until they are about 4yrs old. I would still see if you can borrow one 1st tho...
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:54 pm
The Original Red Head!

Is your friend going to be coming over a lot? Maybe she would pay for the seat? Worth a try! Antonia is on a booster now - I think she would be in a proper seat still in the UK now it has all changed so much - you can get one goes up to 11 that isn't a booster!! My son was so happy when he realised he was too tall at 11 to need one!! I have a booster here and one in Spain but they are only 20euros or so. Another place to look is Halfords - they can be the cheapest, worth a look!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.