Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Where in Italy to holiday in winter?

Where in Italy to holiday in winter?

Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:50 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where in Italy to holiday in winter?

I'm thinking of taking the family over to Italy Nov/Dec time to see what the Romans did for us, have a sticky beak around Pompeii etc. then go off skiing somewhere - that part doesn't have to be in Italy though.

Never been to Italy before, any recommendations for where to go, stay, see, not to do, to buy or not to buy?.........

Is it worth staying in Rome or just outside the city and where else is worth visiting other than the two places I've mentioned? Will have about three weeks available inc stop overs in KL/HK

TIA
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

ambra_wandsworth will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where in Italy to holiday in winter?

Hi, there are people coming from all over Europe to spend their skiing holidays here, I'm sure you can find something that you like without moving too far !

I personally know very well Cervinia, and I would recommend it.
It's in Valle D'Aosta, north-west of Italy, well connected to Switzerland as well. 350 km of ski runs starting from 2000 metres up to 3900 metres (Il Piccolo Cervino, or Klein Matterhorn in german) just above the glacier.
Snow is always pretty good because of the altitude.

Just google : Breuil-Cervinia Valtournenche Zermatt - ski area.

Otherwise: Dolomiti, north-east of Italy.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 1:47 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
I'm thinking of taking the family over to Italy Nov/Dec time to see what the Romans did for us, have a sticky beak around Pompeii etc. then go off skiing somewhere - that part doesn't have to be in Italy though.

Never been to Italy before, any recommendations for where to go, stay, see, not to do, to buy or not to buy?.........

Is it worth staying in Rome or just outside the city and where else is worth visiting other than the two places I've mentioned? Will have about three weeks available inc stop overs in KL/HK

TIA
Hello there,

do you mind me asking if you'll be bringing kids and if yes, what age?
It's one thing taking a young-ish kid to see the Colosseo in Rome but it's another tramping them all over the city to see everything else - even if Rome does have a Metro.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi

TIA
why not try abruzzo its a 2 hr bus ride to rome and from the top of the maiella mountane its one hour to the sea at francavilla at easter you can ski in the morning and swim in the afeternoon we have a national park with bears wolves eagles if you want to see our ski resort google pretoro and you will find all the details you need . and lots of kiwis come her e becouse they love abruzzo mountain and sea close
Old Apr 10th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Isn't Abruzzo meant to be freezing cold in winter though? I remember reading somewhere that L'aquila is the coldest capital city in Italy.

Yes stay in Rome itself and please spend a bit of time here as there is an absolute TON to see. Also that's a great time of year to be here as there won't be a lot of tourists, hotels will be cheaper and you'll have the place more to yourself. Also Rome doesn't get very cold in winter. You just need a wool coat or warm jacket and you're fine.

I'd recommend spending time in the South of Italy since you're coming here during the winter. I had a great holiday in Sicily a few years back during January. Although the locals were rugged up in their fur coats it was actually a balmy 15-18 degrees the whole time we were there and sunny. It was gorgeous. I'd also recommend somewhere like the Amalfi Coast during winter.

Last edited by gelato; Apr 10th 2011 at 6:32 am.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gelato
Isn't Abruzzo meant to be freezing cold in winter though? I remember reading somewhere that L'aquila is the coldest capital city in Italy.

Yes stay in Rome itself and please spend a bit of time here as there is an absolute TON to see. Also that's a great time of year to be here as there won't be a lot of tourists, hotels will be cheaper and you'll have the place more to yourself. Also Rome doesn't get very cold in winter. You just need a wool coat or warm jacket and you're fine.

I'd recommend spending time in the South of Italy since you're coming here during the winter. I had a great holiday in Sicily a few years back during January. Although the locals were rugged up in their fur coats it was actually a balmy 15-18 degrees the whole time we were there and sunny. It was gorgeous. I'd also recommend somewhere like the Amalfi Coast during winter.
yes AQ is cold its in the shadow of the grand sasso here in chieti we have mild winters a light jacket is enough in francavilla we hav semi tropical plants . any way i would not like to stay long in rome due to the polution about time they done something about it
Old Apr 17th 2011, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Bodenis is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I stayed in Siracusa Sicily from the 12th of Febuary til the 12th of April. For a winter holiday away from the mad crowds of summer it is the best place to be. We had a nice big appartment at a very reasonable cost with Wifi, situated within a few minutes walk from an open air market, restaurants, bistrots, supermarkets, bus and train stations, museums, parks and beautifull scenery.
A few italians words and a smile will get you all the help you will need from friendly sicilians.
We visited many cities and villages by bus and train during our holiday,
each time we were discovering something typical and very sicilian.
If you want something different...this is the place......
Will gladly help you.....
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Bodenis is an unknown quantity at this point

You could go skiing on Mount Etna....
About one hour drive from Siracusa