Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

It wasn't our intention to sell it, we initial spent 2 years looking for a property to buy that had everything we wanted. We were renting out a place in Pistoia and had found a few properties but they always turned out to have nasty surprises behind them. We found this house and loved it straight away although we had a struggle to actually buy it. Now, out out of the blue, we have the opportunity to buy a bigger house with more land and it's a really good price so we've taken the plunge. At the moment I'm not looking to rent it but we'll sell how interest from potential buyers goes. Ideally would like to sell by December.

I had a look on google maps for Cellai and it's off the A1, the only thing close to it that I know of is San Polo in Chianti a lovely town, typical chiantishire and expensive.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

ardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really nice

i dont know if anybody in lucca is still on here but a belated happy new year to everybody...anh
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Carmela is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ardua
i dont know if anybody in lucca is still on here but a belated happy new year to everybody...anh
My husband is considering employment in Guasticce-Collesalvetti (LI). We are from Toronto, Canada and have three small children. After reading the posts, it seems that Lucca is the best place to settle down in. How far is it from Lucca to Guasticce-Collesalvetti (LI)? What is Guasticce-Collesalvetti (LI) like?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Hi
I'm not really sure where it is but Lucca is lovely. We live the in the countryside just outside. The only problem I have with Lucca is that it's very right wing/conservative. I also really like Pisa which a lot of people criticise. It's more grungy/studenty. I depends what you're after. Lucca has more parks than Pisa but Pisa has a lot of other activities for children and seems a bit more open. Lucca is much more beautiful and there's a large expat community there. Whatever you decide keep in touch. I'll look up where you're moving to in the meantime!
Someone mentionned mother and baby groups.. .there was talk of one being set up in Lucca but not sure if anyone's interested anymore. If anyone does want to I know people who'd love to come along!
Ems
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for responding. I have a much better picture now. Well, I am all for mom and baby groups. It is especially nice to have friends who could speak the english language for myself and my children. Playdates and get-togethers would be my life-line. Hopefully my husband does secure employment there. I will keep you posted.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

LouisaB has a brilliant futureLouisaB has a brilliant futureLouisaB has a brilliant futureLouisaB has a brilliant futureLouisaB has a brilliant futureLouisaB has a brilliant futureLouisaB has a brilliant future

Italy is great for bringing up kids. Expert health care - compulsory paediatrician until the age of six. Welcome in restaurants. Made a fuss of everywhere you go. And the state kindergarten system is said to be the best in Europe. You're making the right choice! L
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Louisa,

Thanks for your thoughts. It sounds like life in Italy has been wonderful for you. Life here in Toronto is very good to us. Our children have everything that they need and want, as do I. However, it has come to the point that they have so much that they don't appreciate the simple things. Even myself, I have all the luxuries of life that the thought of simplifying our quality of living is very appealing to me. Life is full of surprises. Everything happens for a reason and has its natural order. I still don't know what my husbands future holds professionally in Italy. I will keep you posted.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

LizElson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, Just wanted to say hello, we've finally moved to a village outside Florence. Can anyone recommend a good Italian course for my husband to attend, just to get the basics? (He doesn't want me to teach him!!)
Also would be great to hear from any other expat couples (with or without kids, we have a 2 yr old) that fancy meeting up for a drink/chat !? Thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

clare-h is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I've been following your thread with much interest - thanks to all for the great info.

We are moving to Bagni di Lucca - get ownership of the house on 10th April. I've got a place for my daughter Amy (aged 7) at the local school she'll start ASAP even before the furniture arrives. Any advise most welcome on things I may not think of - like how the lunch system works and where and what to buy for her etc.

I'd love to meet any of you locally to me to get the low down on pitfalls not to fall into and handy hints etc.

Meanwhile fingers crossed for a smooth journey - we're driving over with lots of our stuff (furniture not due to arrive for at least a week after we get there) and the cat in tow!!!!
Ciao to you all Clare
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

If you haven't already done so, sort out your residenza so that you can shoot down to your asl/usl and get signed up with doctor. Sign up for Italian lessons. Lunch costs depend on your earnings... and the school will explain all that to you. Food is great but you might want to bring over cereals, marmite, baked beans etc. Esselunga is great for that but obviously it's more expensive than in the UK. Coop is fantastic for organic or fair trade own label stuff but the choice for international things is more limited. Carrefour is ok but I find that I go in thinking it's cheap and then discover individual items are cheaper in Esselunga.... but it's big and clothes are ok especially for kids and dirt cheap. Other than that, if you're in Lucca at any point get in touch!! Crikey I do waffle on about supermarkets...
Love Emma
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:28 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Also every school has different requirements for what gear the kids need. Some want overalls (grembuilino - I hope that's correct spelling!) others don't. Some materna and elementare want backpacks, a few don't - my friends school has banned them as being unhygienic in Materna and elementare! Basically your school will tell you what to get or will provide some stuff and expect you to pay for it - my daughters school is private so they have their own overalls and gym kit/track suit which cost 3x as much as anything from the shops!!

Liza whereabouts outside Florence are you? I'm right in the centre.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clare-h
Hi everyone, I've been following your thread with much interest - thanks to all for the great info.

We are moving to Bagni di Lucca - get ownership of the house on 10th April. I've got a place for my daughter Amy (aged 7) at the local school she'll start ASAP even before the furniture arrives. Any advise most welcome on things I may not think of - like how the lunch system works and where and what to buy for her etc.

I'd love to meet any of you locally to me to get the low down on pitfalls not to fall into and handy hints etc.

Meanwhile fingers crossed for a smooth journey - we're driving over with lots of our stuff (furniture not due to arrive for at least a week after we get there) and the cat in tow!!!!
Ciao to you all Clare
Hi Clare

The only thing that comes to mind is all your paperwork, vaccination card for your daughter as the school might ask to see it.

Buon viaggio
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

Originally Posted by DORI DOE
Hi Clare

The only thing that comes to mind is all your paperwork, vaccination card for your daughter as the school might ask to see it.

Buon viaggio
Really good thread, are any of you still in Italy?

We (husband, daughter 8yo, son 6yo) moved to the Pisa area (near Ponsacco) about 18 months ago and I would like to meet up with anyone with similar aged children English speaking children. Lucca, Pisa or anywhere in between would be great.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

When the weather warms up a bit I'll be down your way for saturday morning play on the beach at Vecchiano do you ever go there?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

I've not even heard of it, we normally just pop to Tirrenia as it only takes about 20 minutes and we can always park. But meeting up anywhere would be good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.