Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

Old May 1st 2007, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Default Re: What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

Hey Purplesally!
I'm between Pisa and Lucca, in a little village called Nozzano, but as soon as we sort out our car I'd LOVE to meet up! Are you able to jump on the train to Lucca? We're super close to Lucca... so maybe lunch one Saturday? I can leave the kids with my husband! Let me know. My email is click my username. Oh, and I'd love to know what you think about the education system...are we mad sending our kids to school here?!!!
Love Ems xxx

Last edited by jdr; May 1st 2007 at 9:44 pm.
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Emmis, Sarah, Purplesally and anyone else hooked on

What a joy it has been to discover this site! I came across it just by chance and it's really made my week. You're all so close
How's it all going. How have your babes settled in? I live in a small town just outside Montecatini. I'm 20 mins from Lucca. I have 2 children aged 3 and 6 and would love to meet up with absolutely anyone (man, woman, child, cat, dog etc..) that speaks English. Plus I'm keen to find some English speaking friends for my children. I have a car and I'm usually free at the weekends if works not busy.

I grew up in Cardiff, then moved to Manchester and then London before coming to Italy. I wasn't planning on staying more than a year or so. That was 10 years ago. Life is full of surprises. We lived in Genoa until 2004 then sold our flat and came to Tuscany to find our dream home. We' re in the countryside and bought an old farm house, which we're slowly finishing but there's no rush.

No plans to return to the UK to live. When I nip back to see family I have to pay excess baggage when I return to Italy. Baked beans! They re only 19p in Tesco here you pay 5 EURO!!! And they don't taste the same. Plus I don't know who anyone in Eastenders is anymore, apart from Dot. So I'll be here for good. I love it here the food, the wine, the sunshine, shops etc...but I still miss London loads. I'm a city chic at heart but I've adjusted to life in the country italian style.

Get in touch.

Bye Doris
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

purplesally is an unknown quantity at this point

I know how you feel Doris! Two and a half years and I couldn't find anyone! I was pretty pleased to find this Forum too.

I've emails Emma about meeting up, lets get together at the same time if poss. I have a car and no kids so it's easy for me come near you guys (have to go check out the map to find the towns, can't say I know them...), when best suits.

I'm from N.Ireland, married an Italian and now I'm teaching English to the next generation of pasta eaters. To answer your question Emma - no, you're not mad. But be prepared for a completely different education system - what they're taught and how. The biggest difference I find is the lack of encouragement of the children's imagination. They're not encouraged to think for themselves. They are given the reqired response and have to memorise it for the interrogation. As long as they say what the teacher wrote, that's fine. No personal input required. No encouragement to develop their own opinions. As a result, I see the kids have real difficulties with the concept of confronting real life situations and making decisions. Maybe that's one of the reasons that they stay at home until their 35

So, let's get organised and meet up soon!!! Such excitment. Finally, some people that'll understand the joy of beans on toast and a good cup of tea.
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

LET'S MEET!!!! my parents arrive next week then after that i'm free! weekends
are best for me as i'm running around less!! I'd love a supply of beans! by the way i'm half sicilian and my husband's welsh. we're here because italy,, despite its faults hits the spot. so we're broke, 2 kids in tow living the tuscan dream! as for schools i think you're right about the traditional aspect but think for themselves? i've never met a more argumenttive nation...they can't get through day without 10 discussions!! my cousins knew more about philosophy at 14 yrs than i do now! but i do worry as i think we're not very conformist as a family ... we'll see!!! anyway tea and coffee and icecream in a couple of weekends time?
love Ems xxx
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

ardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really nice

Hi all,
I'm back from California now and will be till after baby is born (due date 1st July). So Sarah, how are you doing? Did you decide to have baby in the UK or Italy in the end? I'm 31 weeks now, times ticking on. So you are 37/38 weeks?
Emma, did you move into your dream house yet?
I'm coming backwards and forwards from California at the moment but will hopefully be able to slot in a visit to Lucca too. So then we can meet up.
Anh x
Old May 9th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there

How are you all? Having a good week? Mine's not going too great. I found out that my daughter is allergic to tomato. I need to cut out a whole list of stuff from her diet such as strawberries, raspberries, chocolate, nuts, pees, tuna and so many things that she loves to eat. How can you not eat tomato in Italy?

The most exciting thing this week has been planting the grass, watering the grass and watching the grass slowly grow! Yeh, I need help. Is anyone free this saturday? I should be, and I can come to Lucca, Pisa, Livorno or anywhere in between. If you are send me a mail.

Doris
Old May 17th 2007, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

svenable is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in California and have two daughters ages 4 and 6. I will be in the Lucca area with the whole family during June and July regularly operating an arts and cultural program for international children. I came across your chat while searching the Internet for child friendly restaurants and playgrounds in the area as I want to help my daughters establish friendships with locals. Any advice you may have about summertime activities, restaurants, or festivals in the area from the coast to Lucca would be greatly appreciated. Have you all managed to set up regular playgroups?
Kind regards,
Shannon
Old May 17th 2007, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmis
Bureaucracy is bad in the UK for foreigners too... my bestest (is that a word? )Italian friend (the one who's a doctor...sure I've waffled on about him before! ) is living in Oxford for the year and can't believe how much of a hassle it is for him to get anything done...
I have lived in both countries for years, and to me there's absolutely no comparison when it comes to bureaucracy. Yes, it's is a pain everywhere, but here in the UK bureaucrats will often make an effort to be polite and customer-friendly. In Italy the usual attitude you can expect is one of arrogant defiance. It's gotten better over the years, but not by much.
Old May 25th 2007, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by svenable
I live in California and have two daughters ages 4 and 6. I will be in the Lucca area with the whole family during June and July regularly operating an arts and cultural program for international children. I came across your chat while searching the Internet for child friendly restaurants and playgrounds in the area as I want to help my daughters establish friendships with locals. Any advice you may have about summertime activities, restaurants, or festivals in the area from the coast to Lucca would be greatly appreciated. Have you all managed to set up regular playgroups?
Kind regards,
Shannon
Hi Shannon

Could you tell me more about your arts programme for children in June? When, where Age group?etc...

Thanks

Doris
Old May 25th 2007, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

LET'S MEET!!!! my parents arrive next week then after that i'm free! weekends
are best for me as i'm running around less!! I'd love a supply of beans! by the way i'm half sicilian and my husband's welsh. we're here because italy,, despite its faults hits the spot. so we're broke, 2 kids in tow living the tuscan dream! as for schools i think you're right about the traditional aspect but think for themselves? i've never met a more argumenttive nation...they can't get through day without 10 discussions!! my cousins knew more about philosophy at 14 yrs than i do now! but i do worry as i think we're not very conformist as a family ... we'll see!!! anyway tea and coffee and icecream in a couple of weekends time?
love Ems xxx
Hi Purple Sally, Emmis

How are you? Now that the sun's come out (and is pretty much here to stay) I've been heading down to Marina di Vecchiano with the children. Are any of you free weekend 2/3 June? Would you like to meet up?

Bye for now
Doris
Old May 29th 2007, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DORI DOE
Hi Shannon

Could you tell me more about your arts programme for children in June? When, where Age group?etc...

Thanks

Doris
Hi, Doris,
Do you want to email me off the list and I'll give you the website for Arte al Sole? You can reach me at slvenable at cox dot net. It sounds like your children are very close in age to mine. It would be great to meet this summer. What are your favorite spots on the sea with the kids? In my previous post regarding festivals, I was wondering if any of the sagre in smaller towns in the vicinity of Lucca are particularly fun for kids?
Best,
Shannon
Old Jun 10th 2007, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Charlotte T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I've just stumbled accross this site whilst doing some research on the price of builder's in Italy - market research as my husband and I run a small business doing building and restoration projects - and this thread caught my eye as I have two children, Maddie age 2 and Giacomo was is just 3 months - both born here in our local hospital (Barga).

So far I love being in Italy with the kids - which is good as my husband is Italian - but I do worry a bit about the education system and how well I will be able to teach my children English when I am the only one they can use it with on a regular basis.

I too am in the Lucca area, we're a bit further away up in Montefegatesi near Bagni di Lucca about 40 minutes from Lucca itself.

Shannon, we have quite a few sagre and other feste in the area during the summer, one of the best for kids is the sagra at Orrido di Botri but it is held around 15th August which may be too late for you - plus it's an hour from Lucca.......... Let me know what sort of thing you're looking for and I can tell you if there is anything going on around here that might fit the bill.

I have been in Italy over 5 years now and really can't see myself moving back to the UK but as with most of us ex-pats I sometimes miss 'Englishness' and just having a chat with people who know where I'm coming from!

All the best to you all
Charlotte
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Hi Charlotte

You must have your hands full with kid's under 3! Do they go to an asilo. Mine are 3 and 6. My son starts school in September and my daughter will start scuola materna. Last week I went to my son's new school and spent a couple of hours there because I wanted to know what he'd be doing and just have a look at what sort of environment he's going to be in. I didn't get to meet his teacher as they haven't sorted out the groups yet but I'm pleased with what I saw and heard.

My son's Italian is lot stronger than his English but like you he only speaks English with me and my family when they come over. He's started to read in Italian and I'm trying to teach him to read in English but he doesn't seem that keen.

I'll have a look on the map and see where you are, I'm just outside Montecatini.

Bye

Doris
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info, Charlotte. Orrido di Botri looks magnificent, but, yes, August 15 is a bit late for us. Nevertheless, I'm sure the children would enjoy an outing there on any day!
Best,
Shannon
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

LUISA COTUGNO is an unknown quantity at this point

Your reply sums up how we feel about Italy perfectly. I grew up in the UK with an Italian father and an English mother. I had a lovely childhood and loved both Italy and where I grew up, in Canterbury. But the UK frightens me a bit now, especially now I have 2 kids. I did wild things when I was younger and hope my 2 have as much fun... but I want them to have fun and not feel that to be part of any crowd you have to drink, fight, dress in practically nothing in the middle of winter and think it's cool to have an ASBO. Italy can be incredibly frustrating, the bureaucracy is bananas and they are so disorganised. But it has something so special, so incredibly mindblowingly beautiful about it... and not just the scenery. My husband, who's a Brit, summed it up well; "Lots of things in Italy are small. Cars and homes. But they have the biggest hearts." Italians are ingenui, naive. And I love that. I think us Northern Europeans could learn a lot by living life in a more simple, naive way. Hope we get to meet soon. Stay in touch! Emma x
hi there,
did you ever get round to setting up a mother-baby group at all? cos i'd be really interested. I have a little 4 month old son and i'm half english italian mix too and married to an italian to boot. i live not too far from lucca and would love to meet up if you've managed to get anything organized????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.