Reload this Page >

URGENT Residency HELP! on Healthcare Insurance etc

URGENT Residency HELP! on Healthcare Insurance etc

Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

holteender_rob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default URGENT Residency HELP! on Healthcare Insurance etc

Hi,

I moved to Milan 3 weeks ago to live with my girlfriend, she's non EU Italian but resident here in Italy...

I moved on the promise of immediate work but the company have withdrawn the offer so that leaves me here with no Job/Contract of employment. And this means I'm unable to get residency and apply for the ASL healthcare. And now my 90 day limit to stay here as an British EU passport holder is counting down....

After visiting the local Commune in Segrate where I live, I believe I can get residency still if I am unemployed, I just have to prove I have sufficient funds in my account (6,000 Euros) which I have luckily as I saved up before I came just incase of a problem like this. In addition I also have to provide proof of Healthcare cover for my stay in Italy.

I do have an EHIC card, but when I presented this to the officer at the Commune he didn't know what it was and wanted all the policy conditions translated to italian (which I don't have). I also think that the EHIC card is for emergencies only and the British Consulate have told me that it's only valid for a period of 6 months of me being here, so I'm not sure it would be good enough to satisfy the Commune office for my residency..

So my next option would be to take out Private Healthcare in Italy to provide proof to the Commune that I'm not going to be a drain on the state if I get sick etc. I'm thinking if I can provide proof of cover with a Private Italian Healthcare company and proof of my Italian Bank funds (+6,000E) and all my other docs (codice fiscale, birth cert, passport etc) this should be enough to satisfy the Commune to start my Residency process.

Does anyone know of any Private Italian Healthcare Companies that will insure a stranieri without residency, is this a possibility to arrange here, and does anybody have any advice/experience of the problems I'm having and how I can overcome them?

Any responses advice etc would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Rob
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT Residency HELP! on Healthcare Insurance etc

You need 6048 euros in your account, a photocopy of a bank statement will do the trick. An address you have I assume, so the problem is the health care - your comune is wrong. Your EHIC is valid in Italy until its expiry, but you will probably have to wave laws around - you could ask the comune why only they out od all comune do not accept the EHIC card, and it might make someone read the ministerial circular....

HOwever, you are in the classic catch 22- You could get perhaps Assicurazione Volontaria from your local ASL - it will cost about 350 euros pa it depends whether Lombardia(?) allow you to - it can be for non EU only. If they do, you will need residence, and you will need AVB to get residence, at which point you need to thrown yourself on the mercy of someone nice in the ASL and say you need one for the other and isnt Italian bureaucracy a nightmare sometimes. If youre lucky they will let you pay for the AV give you time to trot off to the anagrafe, get your residence application slip and take it back to the ASL all on the same day, so everyone is happy.

I have cllients who have insured for 6 months only through Italian insurance without residence and its been no problem - about 140 euros per 6 months period. And your comune should accept that - its not legally necessary to show your ahve insurance valid for the next 12 months.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

If you are up to date with your NI contributions in the UK you should be able to get a form (can't remember the number) from the DWP in Newcastle. That should cover you for up to two years, hopefully giving you time to get a job and start paying contributions here.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:44 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to here about your situation. Unfortunately your EHIC is only valid for emergency care so you cannot use it to obtain residency. For that you need health care. I don't think you can buy into the National Health service in Lombardy, but it is worth asking as a couple of regions do allow this and Lombardy may have changed recently. However, I would not worry about the 90 day limit on your stay while looking for work. It does not seem to bother the authorities.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick responses guys.....

I called the EHIC helpline today and they said that I need a form S1 to show to the ASL office. Apparently this form is for people who are looking to live permanently abroad and can provide me with the same entitlement of health cover as an Italian resident (presumably as it allows me to register with ASL). It's also a recognised form in the EU, whereas my EHIC card is just the UK equivalent of the ASL card I think........ Anyway, as I've paid into the system in the UK I'm entitled to be given this form so I've faxed them my P45 today to prove the HRMC tax contributions etc and just have to wait for the S1 to arrive in the post (which should be before my 90 days is up). I'm going to visit the ASL office and commune too to confirm they understand the meaning of the S1 form I'm being issued with.

I did think about how serious the 90 day ruling was on staying here and I question weather the authorities actually know when I arrived, but I have been controlled last week by the local police and already visited the commune so there is a record of me here. I thought it wouldn't be wise to jeopardise staying here and risk being fined or banned from entering the EU zone for several years, I read somewhere this is a possibility if you get caught.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:31 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't an EU citizen? If not, yes, you need to pay attention to the 90 day rule. The S1 is accepted, but unless you have worked a long time in the UK it will only give you a few weeks cover and that might not be enough for residency. If you are not an EU citizen, Modicasa's suggestion of throwing yourself at their mercy, daft as it might seem, could be your best bet. Daft that is, at having to throw yourself at their mercy and not a daft suggestion.

Last edited by 37100; Feb 17th 2011 at 12:34 pm. Reason: Daft not clear
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

you could try one of the travelling insurance companies that covers you for long stays some do 12 months

if you google "long travel insurance" there are several that comes up
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 37100
You aren't an EU citizen? If not, yes, you need to pay attention to the 90 day rule. The S1 is accepted, but unless you have worked a long time in the UK it will only give you a few weeks cover and that might not be enough for residency. If you are not an EU citizen, Modicasa's suggestion of throwing yourself at their mercy, daft as it might seem, could be your best bet. Daft that is, at having to throw yourself at their mercy and not a daft suggestion.
I am EU so the 90 day rule does apply.......

I just received my S1 form (finally) from the UK today, I'm going to the Commune in Segrate and nearest ASL office next week to try and sort this out....

My main concern now is that I have to prove residency at the ASL office when I show my S1 form.... it says I may have to do this on the paperwork received with the S1 form.... This is stupid because the Commune say they can't give me residency without proof of health cover......catch 22 this certainly is....

Am I being dumb or something; but why would they allow this situation to occur....surely this is incorrect..... if what the Commune say is correct then it's impossible for me to obtain ASL healthcare proof to meet the residency criteria the Commune are asking for because I can't get one without the other and vice-vera....:c onfused:.

I am very confused....hopefully I will get some sense out of them next week.... this reminds me of Shawshank Redemption..... wasn't it Morgan Freeman who said "Hope is a dangerous thing....it can drive a man insane"...... he must be doing his residency here too.....maybe I'll see him in the Commune next week and get his autograph... at least I won't leave empty handed!!!!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:58 pm
Concierge

You need residency first before you can sign on at the Asl. This applies to Italians as well. So your first stop is the town hall with your S1 (I've no idea what's on a S1 form)and proof of income. Things can vary slightly from place to place, but here, for a first time residency application they will send the vigile out to check and then send a letter of confirmation. Then you can sign on at the local Asl.
Old May 4th 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Could you let me know what happened in the end! Did you get residency with your S1 form and €6000?