Reload this Page >

UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:15 am
Malaga Expat

jewseboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
In Spain I got myself a router with dd-wrt and was able to configure Hide My Ass through that router. The router I used wasnt a great deal of money and HMA have instructions on their site on how to do it. In that way you are completely anonymous
Watching UK TV etc.. is fine but be careful if you are down loading any movies/TV shows etc.... HMA will not protect you....

http://invisibler.com/lulzsec-and-hidemyass/
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

In Spain I got myself a router with dd-wrt and was able to configure Hide My Ass through that router. The router I used wasnt a great deal of money and HMA have instructions on their site on how to do it. In that way you are completely anonymous
I keep reading these posts with terribly complicated methods that terrify technophobes like myself. I wonder what I'm doing wrong because I manage to obtain as much UK TV as anyone could possibly stomach without any cost or complicated equipment. From filmon I can record any programme I want to see and plug a dongle into my TV; from ITV player via expat shield can stream anything via an HDMI cable into the TV; and via a torrent site download anything onto a dongle and plug same into TV. Job done. In many cases thanks to duffer.
by by dicette l'inglese,
'o nonno
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:32 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim440
Hello,

I wondered if you could help me. I've spent the last few weeks looking at different options to run some of my netwotk through a VPN-enabled router and have been thinking about going for the same Asus router that you have with the Sabai OS. My concern has been that I'd have to run it through my current Vodafone modem/router and I'm not sure how easy that will be. Is that how you have it set up?

Is the Asus worth getting and is the Sabai version worth the extra money? Also is it easy enough to set up. I'd probably by the router myself and then install the firmware by buying it from Sabai, which you can do for 100 dollars.

I've got a WD TV Live box that I can't get to change is location from Spain, a Raspberry Pi that runs fine through smart DNS, as well as a Now TV box. Currently I've got everything running through a UK DNS but I'd like to be able to choose what does and what doesn't.

Thanks,

Tim
Hello, I am very happy with the Sabai. I previously had a bog standard modem flashed with DD-WRT but what you get with Sabai is ease of use. Installing your VPN is a doddle and selecting which device uses the VPN or local IP is equally simple. AFAIK, you cannot buy just the OS but the complete router flashed with their OS. This was not an option when I got mine. I also had to pay around 30 Euro in duty when I received it. On top of this you need the VPN service so I am not sure how this affects your decision. It is a lot more expensive than flashing a modem with DD-WRT yourself and using a DNS hosting service. However I much prefer a VPN service than a smart DNS. I don't see what advantages it has over a VPN when the prices are more or less the same.

Originally Posted by ononno
I keep reading these posts with terribly complicated methods that terrify technophobes like myself. I wonder what I'm doing wrong because I manage to obtain as much UK TV as anyone could possibly stomach without any cost or complicated equipment. From filmon I can record any programme I want to see and plug a dongle into my TV; from ITV player via expat shield can stream anything via an HDMI cable into the TV; and via a torrent site download anything onto a dongle and plug same into TV. Job done. In many cases thanks to duffer.
by by dicette l'inglese,
'o nonno
You're not doing anything wrong O'Nonno!! You've got a good setup and you're happy with it and that is what counts isn't it?

With my modem, I have a setup that is the same as if I were in the UK but with added security via the VPN. Anyone that uses a torrent without a VPN is asking for trouble and Expat Shield is something that I will never install on my PC or mac, it's bloatware .
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

?? for oh nonno we watch English telly thourgh film on and don't pay at the moment is there any benefit by paying oh wise one
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:14 am
Just Joined

tim440 is an unknown quantity at this point

I might do that. Still thinking about the Sabai option as it would allow me to choose where to route stuff. Your idea is cheaper though, which appeals.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:47 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jewseboy
Watching UK TV etc.. is fine but be careful if you are down loading any movies/TV shows etc.... HMA will not protect you....

http://invisibler.com/lulzsec-and-hidemyass/
What lead you to the conclusion that I use it for that!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by duffer
Hello, I am very happy with the Sabai. I previously had a bog standard modem flashed with DD-WRT but what you get with Sabai is ease of use. Installing your VPN is a doddle and selecting which device uses the VPN or local IP is equally simple. AFAIK, you cannot buy just the OS but the complete router flashed with their OS. This was not an option when I got mine. I also had to pay around 30 Euro in duty when I received it. On top of this you need the VPN service so I am not sure how this affects your decision. It is a lot more expensive than flashing a modem with DD-WRT yourself and using a DNS hosting service. However I much prefer a VPN service than a smart DNS. I don't see what advantages it has over a VPN when the prices are more or less the same.
I think I might get the Asus router. At least that way I'll have the option of installing the Sabai OS (they do let you buy it now, but don't exactly shout about it on their site). I think in the long run, it's going to give me more flexibility than other options.

Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by ononno
by by dicette l'inglese,
'o nonno
My computer is nowhere near the tv, so need to find another way to stream stuff. I use torrents too, but prefer to be able to stream where possible.

Think I quite like fiddling about setting these things up as well!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:14 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think I might get the Asus router. At least that way I'll have the option of installing the Sabai OS (they do let you buy it now, but don't exactly shout about it on their site). I think in the long run, it's going to give me more flexibility than other options.

Thanks for your reply.

My computer is nowhere near the tv, so need to find another way to stream stuff. I use torrents too, but prefer to be able to stream where possible.

Think I quite like fiddling about setting these things up as well!
A samsung link or many Smart TV's will allow you to link wirelessly to your PC or tablet, allowing you to mirror what is on the PC or tablet on your TV screen
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

A samsung link or many Smart TV's will allow you to link wirelessly to your PC or tablet, allowing you to mirror what is on the PC or tablet on your TV screen
That's an option, but not a cheap one, is it?

Hopefully the Chromecast will get released in Europe soon with improved mirroring. There's possibility that it's something that will be coming to the Raspberry Pi as well.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:37 pm
Senior Moment

That's an option, but not a cheap one, is it?

Hopefully the Chromecast will get released in Europe soon with improved mirroring. There's possibility that it's something that will be coming to the Raspberry Pi as well.
Well ... only if someone is thinking of buying a new TV I guess. Its worth thinking about getting a Smart TV when upgrading though, they do an awful lot that's useful (and a lot that completely isn't!)
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:36 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

considered using d-link or tp-link wifi modules plugged into the mains ??
they give you the wifi option and/or plug in internet at sub-€100 for a pair.