Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

Originally Posted by chris120
i've been thinking about paying for HD FilmOn combined with a Samsung smart TV through my wifi, is the HD picture quality sufficient for a 46" screen?
I'm afraid I can't tell you that for certain, only that it should be O.K. Your signal should be 1080 - 60 which is HD.
I can only suggest that you pay for one month and see for yourself.

John
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by William932
I downloaded the player and the UK channels I see are:

- Susa
- Susa+1
- 5*
- 5*+1
- Channel 5+1
- Challenge
- Yesterday

I wouldn't call those 'Major' channels.

With Vietexpat.tv you get BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, CBBC, iTV1, iTV2, iTV4, Channel 4, Film 4, More 4, Sky News.

And more major channels are planned for the near future.

Cheers.
I don't know what you downloaded, but FilmOn has all the major channels.
Here is the list of the main channels available:
BBC1, BBC2, BBC News, BBC1 Northern Ireland, CBBC/BBC Three, CBBC/BBC FOUR, Dave, Really, Pick TV, ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, Channel 4, Channel 5, Channel 5+1, Yesterday, Challenge, 5USA, 5USA+1, 5*, 5*+1, E4, More 4, Film 4 and Sky News.
Plus loads more other channels, but Susa and Susa+1 aren't on the list!!! (my fingers are worn out now! ).

Chris120,
I thought about your 46" TV, and providing you sit at the recommended viewing distance, I can't see a problem.

John

Last edited by Saxy; Feb 27th 2013 at 5:07 am.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

That's why I asked you for a link to what I'm supposed to download.

I didn't see any options to download an 'SD Version' Player so I downloaded the only player I saw. And the channels I listed are the only ones available under the live UK channels tab.

If you want to link us to the page where we get the SD Version it would help.

Cheers.
http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&...,d.d2k&cad=rja

John
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

You don't have to download any more than you have. In the top right hand corner of the screen, just above the TV picture it states Quality SD FREE and HD PAY (there is a few minutes free trial of HD).
I'm sorry that you have problems with it, I can't understand why, I've used it for years and find it to be an excellent program, especially the record function (very handy). It will be interesting to see if others have the same problems that you do!
I have just come back from a ten week holiday in OZ and used it there, with no problems, with all channels available.
Here in Spain, now that satellite TV is becoming a problem, more and more people are using it successfully (even one of the staunch internet TV doubters watches it on his iPad connected to his TV).

John

Last edited by Saxy; Feb 27th 2013 at 11:41 am.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I will quite willingly do that, when I find out how to do it. Perhaps you can help,
I'm running Windows 7.

What I don't understand is that I have just gone onto FilmOn, using an Italian ip, and it gave me all of the channels that I get here in Spain

John
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:36 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
I will quite willingly do that, when I find out how to do it. Perhaps you can help,
I'm running Windows 7.

What I don't understand is that I have just gone onto FilmOn, using an Italian ip, and it gave me all of the channels that I get here in Spain

John
I checked out that link this morning and got the same crap that William did.
When I tried again just now it had changed and listed all the "proper" UK channels.
Weird.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I checked out that link this morning and got the same crap that William did.
When I tried again just now it had changed and listed all the "proper" UK channels.
Weird.
Hi Lorna,
Yes, things are very strange!!!!
Probably the thing to do would be to bookmark it when you have all the channels

John
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

It's obviously not a reliable service.

Freebie sites that look too good to be true......usually are.
Just because you can't get it, doesn't mean it's not a reliable service. The problem appears to be at your end!!!!! I tried it with an Italian IP, and all programs loaded and worked perfectly!
The FREE SD (POOR) quality progs. are really just an advert to show people what they can expect from the excellent HD version (with the Record Facility), which of course, you have to pay for, and makes good business sense!
As I said, I've used it for 4 years, and have had no problems at all!!!

John
Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:00 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Saxy,

Don't worry, FilmOn is working fine for me too, I tried with both UK and IT ip addresses. I believe our friend here is a spammer affiliated to Vietexpat.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duffer
Hey Saxy,

Don't worry, FilmOn is working fine for me too, I tried with both UK and IT ip addresses. I believe our friend here is a spammer affiliated to Vietexpat.
No need to hide your IP for FilmOn. I used the Italian IP just to check that there wasn't a problem over there

John
Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:51 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a heads up to you all,

One of the Mods has sent William off the radar for banging on about that site all the time all over the place - so I've removed most of his posts from this thread.
It might make the thread a little bit disjointed to read, and some of his words are still there and in quotes - but his biggest ones about that site have gone.

He was given the benefit of the doubt at first as lots of people are genuninely interested in how others watch UK TV, but he obviously overdid it about that just one site.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:05 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris120
i've been thinking about paying for HD FilmOn combined with a Samsung smart TV through my wifi, is the HD picture quality sufficient for a 46" screen?
You could always try it for a couple of minutes first before paying for the HD option. Just use the internet browser on the TV.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saxy
Just because you can't get it, doesn't mean it's not a reliable service. The problem appears to be at your end!!!!! I tried it with an Italian IP, and all programs loaded and worked perfectly!
The FREE SD (POOR) quality progs. are really just an advert to show people what they can expect from the excellent HD version (with the Record Facility), which of course, you have to pay for, and makes good business sense!
As I said, I've used it for 4 years, and have had no problems at all!!!

John
Sorry guys,
I've been giving you duff information about the record facility . I have been playing around with it today and just found out that if you register on the FilmOn program, you can record using the free version
It used to be only the HD version that did it. You learn something new every day

John
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Bowman1984uk is an unknown quantity at this point

i wonder if he was on good commision lol
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

I've no hidden agenda. FilmOn is good. I watch through IPad app. There have been a few times that it's disappeared from UK log-in, but as far as I've used it, has always been available on Swiss and Italian settings. Link up through HD cable and providing on internet speed, picture quality on 46 inch tv will essentially be a HD picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.