UK-registered car insurance in Italy

UK-registered car insurance in Italy

Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Jonti01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK-registered car insurance in Italy

Originally Posted by Aquila
Hi !

Can anyone recommend any companies which insure UK-registered cars in Italy ?

Thanks
Yes, I know one, but will have to get back to you tomorrow, with the name.
I suppose since you are looking at insurance you perhaps have already tried to register the car with Italain plates ? We are trying this process but are not having much luck since Italy does not... but should regognise the DVLC european document.

Rgds
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:27 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

As ClareMilano said you can not obtain an MOT in any country other than the UK.

In some areas in some countries they will issue you with a local version of the MOT but if your vehicle is on UK plates it's not worth the paper it's written on!

Now, thinking about the MOT dilemma and being illegal to drive in the UK, of course this is true and infacts it's illegal to drive fullstop in any country.

But if memory serves me correctly you are legally allowed to drive your vehicle to pre-booked MOT.

So technically (this is by no means a legal statement, it's up to you to look into the legalities of it) one might be able to pre-book an MOT in say Dover (or whatever Port you arrive in) and if stopped supply them with the details of your MOT time/location. I would imagine this HAS to be local, so there is no driving from the port to an MOT stations miles and miles away.

It's worth considering as an option.

As far as UK plated vehicles and NON-UK based insurance the vast majority of the companies will take your money, but in the event of a claim will NOT pay up as you have a foreign registered vehicle.

If you look at the terms and conditions and if it mentions nothing about "foreign plated vehicles are covered" then you would be simply wasting your money.

Last edited by zel; Mar 7th 2007 at 9:30 am.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 4:27 pm
Banned

TonynCarol is an unknown quantity at this point

So here’s the dilemma.
UK registered LHD gas guzzling 7 year old 4x4 Japan import
MOT out Tax out
Insurance now invalid

Cost to return to UK £650 in diesel and + 2 nights hotel + ferry crossings (1 week round trip) +TAX +MOT hopefully it will pass!!!

Re-register in Italy? Defiantly €100’s maybe a couple of thousand
Sell the car? Who wants a UK registered car in Italy?

My gut feeling is to go back to the UK…But Carol doesn’t want me to do it.

We are going to get a cheep Italian run-a-round for day-to-day use. So….if I only use the car in complete darkness…..
Old Mar 18th 2007, 7:35 pm
Eeyore

Been around this one a few times myself having had both UK and Italian registered cars here in the last ten years.

Someone mentioned Directline Italia insuring UK registered cars. That's a new one on me. Details anyone?

Old Mar 18th 2007, 9:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Been around this one a few times myself having had both UK and Italian registered cars here in the last ten years.

Someone mentioned Directline Italia insuring UK registered cars. That's a new one on me. Details anyone?
Read Zels above post about insurance ;-)
Its the same in Spain they will take your money, but the claim ?

Last edited by jdr; Mar 18th 2007 at 9:46 pm.