Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK Driving Licence in Italy

UK Driving Licence in Italy

Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:20 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Driving Licence in Italy

Hello Everyone. I've got a UK EU type photo driving licence but it still has my UK address on it. I am an Italian resident so really I should exchange it for an Italian licence in theory. However, I would like to know if there is anyone who has continued to use their UK DL without any problems. Certainly it's valid throughout the EU but its validity expires after about 12m months of residency in another country? Is this correct?

I would like to keep hold of my UK DL because it comes in handy when in the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Driving Licence in Italy

Originally Posted by duffer
Hello Everyone. I've got a UK EU type photo driving licence but it still has my UK address on it. I am an Italian resident so really I should exchange it for an Italian licence in theory. However, I would like to know if there is anyone who has continued to use their UK DL without any problems. Certainly it's valid throughout the EU but its validity expires after about 12m months of residency in another country? Is this correct?

I've been wondering the same thing
Old Feb 1st 2007, 6:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Euro Licence directive HERE Then click on the link in this paragraph "The European Driving Licence – finally"

Its a PDF file, if you dont have a reader this is FREE

Last edited by jdr; Feb 1st 2007 at 7:27 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

If you go onto the motorizazzione website it states the following:-

Per i titolari di patenti di guida in corso di validità rilasciate dagli Stati membri dell’Unione Europea, non è più richiesta la conversione della patente posseduta, ma è possibile ottenerne il riconoscimento, presentando:
• modello TT746 (in distribuzione gratuita presso gli sportelli della Motorizzazione) compilato e sottoscritto secondo le avvertenze ivi contenute;
• un’autocertificazione in carta semplice, in cui si dichiari la propria residenza anagrafica in Italia;
• Attestazione del versamento di € 14,62 sul c/c 4028;
• Attestazione del versamento di € 7,80 sul c/c 9001;
• Se la patente di cui è richiesto il riconoscimento non ha scadenza o ha scadenze maggiori di quelle previste in Italia, in base alle disposizioni vigenti nel paese di rilascio, si applicano comunque le norme vigenti in Italia relativamente alla validità temporale della patente. Pertanto, se per la normativa italiana la patente risulta già scaduta occorre anche un certificato medico così come sopra descritto

Personally i interprete this to mean that if you have the latest EU, credit card, type of UK licence with photo etc then you can drive in Italy with it for an unlimited period by going down the autocertificazione route.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I cant read Italian ;-)
In Spain you had to register with the traffico and get the licence stamped but now it is not required as we are all EU citizens.
The directive appears to say all euro licences are valid anywhere in the community subject to use as stated on the licence until they expire, then you have to renew it in your country of residence and then abide by their rules, ie age and medicals etc.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:42 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks jdr for the link. I'm trawling through it now.

However I have a concern that the UK driving licence is invalidated when you move home and it's for that reason that the DVLA replace your DL for free if it's for only a change of address whereas normally that charge you about £25 or something.

I'll do a search this weekend and post my findings.

Ciao-ciao!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

Should I be concerned that my UK DL has my address on it that I haven't lived at for 7 years? I've lived in 3 different countries since then too!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

If the address is 7 years out of date presumably the licence is even older. I guess that means its not the latest EU type with a photo. If you have the older type of licence you need to get it converted to an Italian licence. This was a laborious and costly process. If you can do it, it would be easier to change it in the UK for the latest type, but you would need a UK address.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 2:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Thanks jdr for the link. I'm trawling through it now.

However I have a concern that the UK driving licence is invalidated when you move home and it's for that reason that the DVLA replace your DL for free if it's for only a change of address whereas normally that charge you about £25 or something.

I'll do a search this weekend and post my findings.

Ciao-ciao!
It does not mention change of address, only that the licence is valid till expiry date then it has to be renewed in country of residence and abide by their age limits and medicals etc.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chris120
If the address is 7 years out of date presumably the licence is even older. I guess that means its not the latest EU type with a photo. If you have the older type of licence you need to get it converted to an Italian licence. This was a laborious and costly process. If you can do it, it would be easier to change it in the UK for the latest type, but you would need a UK address.
It is the latest type with the photo etc. small, pink, credit card-sized.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:09 pm
Pull my finger

I've checked out the Gov't website and it states that if you are moving abroad you do NOT have to notify the DVLA of a change of address therefore I presume the DL is still valid in even though it doesn't have your correct address.

So if you take into account the earlier information in this thread we should have no problems.

Here is the link by the way -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ng/DG_10023103

You can change to an Italian licence if you wish however imo the UK DL is more flash If you did do it and then went back to the UK you can exchange your EU licence for a UK one for free.

BTW The licence costs £38 now. I remember mine cost £21!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road

You can change to an Italian licence if you wish however imo the UK DL is more flash
.....and having a UK licence also means that if you are pulled over by the carabinieri (according to one of our speeding friends here!) they are less likley to be bothered issuing a ticket, with all the paperwork that would be involved if you have UK licence - he has got away with that a few times apparently!
My husband was pulled over a few weeks ago on our way home one evening for a random check and did not have his licence on him . As soon as he said he was English the officer just said that it was OK and waved him off, even though my husband offered to come back with it later that evening! They just switched off instantly.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 3:34 pm
Pull my finger

Good reason to hang on to the UK version then.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:48 am
Pull my finger

Just received a reply from the DVLA regarding the address on your UK DL if you are moving abroad:

"Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own national licence for as long as is remains valid. You should however check with the appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate.

National licences may only carry an address from the country which issued that licence. We are therefore unable to re-issue your British licence with a foreign address. It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect address. This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences."

So I'll be keeping my UK version.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road

Thanks for clearing that up Duffer - useful info there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.