Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK car in Italy Qus

UK car in Italy Qus

Old Aug 15th 2017, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough
Default UK car in Italy Qus

Hi
Am thinking of using a UK registered car in Italy. I'm aware of the requirement to get it annually MOT'd in UK.
Never having done so before I'm curious about the insurance situation.
If one has a UK insurance policy, is it usually possible to pay a supplement on this in order to use the car abroad? Is it possible to obtain an Italian policy? Finally, given the above, is it possible to buy breakdown/recovery coverage in Italy on a UK registered/MOT'd car? If not, would a UK breakdown policy cover use in Italy(Europe) not solely for short-term/vacation coverage?
thanks
Mike
Old Aug 15th 2017, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Italy Qus

All policiys cover you for third party , but there is a restriction in time for fully comp. Saga there is no restriction or you can use Stuart Collins. In the main you will need a UK address.I did use my Uk car for a couple of years but we were in a very rural area . It a bit of a grey area and I am sure you will get a few more comments on this. You can buy AA five star to cover you abroad you could buy an annual policy would think you still can. Ultimately it is simplest and safest to get an Italian car,
Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

The determining factor is simply is the car road legal in the country of origin.
for a UK reg. car this means does it have a valid MOT.If yes, then your normal UK insurance will cover you for 3rd. party.For fully comprehensive as suggested try SAGA.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

We used Stuart Collins for our first year and they were fine, including when we had to make a claim. If I recall correctly, their policy was through Axa and may have included breakdown cover.

I was told at the Motorizzazione last year that your UK car is OK on UK plates for 1 year from taking residency. After that your car could be liable to seizure if you are stopped and the police run a check on you (though you will probably hear plenty of people saying they've run a UK car for longer as the law seems to be pretty inconsistently applied).
Old Aug 16th 2017, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

thanks for input. Will look into some of the options put out there