Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TV Service in Italy

TV Service in Italy

Old May 11th 2017, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

FreddyBee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV Service in Italy

I've been here 3 1/2 months and am struggling to get television service in Siracusa. I went to TIM in February after seeing an on-line ad offering an attractive price for packaging together mobile phone, land-line phone, internet and TV service. Once I got registered as a resident, the mobile phone, telefono fisso and internet components were fairly quickly installed. But when the TIM decoder arrived yesterday, it turned out they don't offer what I call TV service at all; they only provide catch-up and on-demand service, not regular television.

I'm used to the British/American system in which one company provides a box and supplies all the channels you want and pay for. Does that not exist in Italy? Does Sky Italia provide it? Or do I have to have two separate set-ups and contracts, one for "terrestrial television" and one for satellite packages?

I want to be able to watch Italian television, but also to have access to some British and American programming, including drama and sport. As you can tell, I'm very confused -- and right now very annoyed with the TIM personnel who sold me something that they knew they were not providing.
Old May 11th 2017, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV Service in Italy

Freddy did the TV not already have its own decoder? Most these days come with a built in decoder. I know little about Italian TV (or UK for that matter these days), but thought the likes of RAI was free to view? For UK stuff you are looking at internet I suspect. A number got rather a suprise at the start of the month as Filmon apparently became a pay for service... I do not know how long it will last, but someone posted this link as an alternative for UK TV.
Old May 11th 2017, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,we still have filmon.I think you just have to download the app onto your computer.Last time I watched was the grand prix last month,so I just checked and all UK channels are still there.HD channels are chargeable but that has always been the case,cheers,Brian.
Old May 11th 2017, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1
Hi,we still have filmon.I think you just have to download the app onto your computer.Last time I watched was the grand prix last month,so I just checked and all UK channels are still there.HD channels are chargeable but that has always been the case,cheers,Brian.
How long did you run it for Brian? From what I read from others it plays for a few minutes and then tells you that you now need to pay...
Old May 11th 2017, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

FreddyBee is an unknown quantity at this point

I had never heard of Filmon until you mentioned it. I downloaded it and it did in fact play for two minutes then ask for a subscription. It was only 14.95 euros a month (149.50 for a year), which isn't extortionate and it seems to offer a lot of live British TV. I have some questions about how it works (which I'll pose to them), but it could be that combining Filmon with regular Italian terrestrial TV will answer my needs. The other solution seems to be via Sky Italia, which I'll be investigating and costing out tomorrow.
Old May 11th 2017, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,I just played it again on bbc2 for 5 mins still ok.Are you sure the subs werent for hd.I will try again in morning for longer,cheers,Brian.
Old May 12th 2017, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Sky offers what you want, plus digitalfree channels with the exception of Mediaset channels whcih is about perfect unless you are a fan of car crash tv. 20 euros a month
Old May 12th 2017, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,I just tried again.If I just type in filmon,after a few minutes a pay page comes up for hd,but you can still go back to free tv.I then went into the microsoft filmon app that I downloaded on windows 10 a few weeks ago and there were no interuptions.It still says watch tv for free on their homepage,but only sd,cheers,Brian.
Old May 12th 2017, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,again,we are simple folk and only watch UK soaps anyway.If that is your preference you can just type in the title and date followed by full episode and a few options come along,mainly "full tv shows","daily motion" or "youtube",cheers,Brian.
Old May 12th 2017, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you have a half decent internet connection you can get all the TV & movies you'll ever want via kodi & mobrdo...... and both incidentally are free & legal.

I've got no commercial connection with this company but they are very good & whilst the article refers to Portugal rather than Italy I think you'll find the same things apply so you might be interested in this:

How to watch English TV in Portugal | FelizTech
Old May 12th 2017, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,is my filmon app still free because I downloaded it before 2nd May? Anyone know?Cheers,Brian.
Old May 12th 2017, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Filmon here state they have stopped their free SD service. I read elsewhere of people still getting access via their app on mobile and/or kodi. Alternative like Mobrdo mentioned above and the likes of the link I supplied are available (for now).
Old May 12th 2017, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,I only use it for C4 F1 coverage,which is only half the races anyway.If I do lose it,will find out about this kodi thingybob and hope I dont get banged up for 10 years lol,cheers,Brian.
Old May 12th 2017, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

There is nothing illegal about Kodi, just some of the add-ons that you can load on it are illegal. The question of using an add-on for UK standard tv is debatable, if you have a UK tv licence. Using it for a pay tv service such as Sky is unquestionably illegal if you are not paying for their service. Kodi is simply a very good media player not tied to any particular company i.e. it is opensource.
Old May 12th 2017, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
There is nothing illegal about Kodi, just some of the add-ons that you can load on it are illegal. The question of using an add-on for UK standard tv is debatable, if you have a UK tv licence. Using it for a pay tv service such as Sky is unquestionably illegal if you are not paying for their service. Kodi is simply a very good media player not tied to any particular company i.e. it is opensource.
Hi,I know I was jokingly referring to an article on msn.What does kodi do and is it safe to download regarding viruses and the like,cheers,Brian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.