Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Travelling/agricultural work

Travelling/agricultural work

Old Apr 14th 2017, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Dansmith4321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling/agricultural work

Hi everyone I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to travel Italy and pick up agricultural work to take in some local culture and get a good experience of Italy. Possibly earn enough for a living and somewhere to lodge.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling/agricultural work

Im afraid its highly doubtful, unless you have special skills. Most agricultural labourers are family members or subsaharan Africans who work for virtually no money, notwithstanding the law. It may be different in the north, but I doubt it.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 6:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dansmith4321
Hi everyone I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to travel Italy and pick up agricultural work to take in some local culture and get a good experience of Italy. Possibly earn enough for a living and somewhere to lodge.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.
Hi, you could try
Home Page - WWOOF Italia
or other Helpx, Workaway.... organisations.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Im afraid its highly doubtful, unless you have special skills. Most agricultural labourers are family members or subsaharan Africans who work for virtually no money, notwithstanding the law. It may be different in the north, but I doubt it.
I was staying in a perfectly kept village outside Verona last year. Walking the dog at 7am on a cold morning I saw a long row of Africans planting lettuces and they were still at it late in the day. Nice green Lega flags were flying in the centre of town.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 4:19 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
I was staying in a perfectly kept village outside Verona last year. Walking the dog at 7am on a cold morning I saw a long row of Africans planting lettuces and they were still at it late in the day. Nice green Lega flags were flying in the centre of town.
And? Verona has a low unemployment rate and as Italians aren't prepared to move for work, except for a 'statale' job, the only option is extra EU workers on seasonal visas.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
And? Verona has a low unemployment rate and as Italians aren't prepared to move for work, except for a 'statale' job, the only option is extra EU workers on seasonal visas.
I'm not against them planting lettuces. Its the signs in the village telling them they are not wanted that is bit hypocritical. Dan should start his search in Verona.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps that should read that italians arent prepared to do that sort of work for that money. Notwithstanding the fact that there is a minimum agricultural wage, the work is done for between 8 and 20 euros a day, of which a good percentage goes to the wrangler - a posh term for a mafia thug. these poor people earn less than I did 40 years ago bashing spuds in school half term.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:07 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Perhaps that should read that italians arent prepared to do that sort of work for that money. Notwithstanding the fact that there is a minimum agricultural wage, the work is done for between 8 and 20 euros a day, of which a good percentage goes to the wrangler - a posh term for a mafia thug. these poor people earn less than I did 40 years ago bashing spuds in school half term.
Yes, Modicasa. I wasn't criticising Italians for not doing the work. Just pointing out the reason for the non Eu's working in the fields. However, as you have brought up money, Italians are also reluctant to do domestic work etc and that, while it won't make you rich, is not low paid by Italian standards. And with the introduction of €485 a month for households with under €6,000 a year, I suspect that there will be even fewer people prepared to do the work - if it ever comes about.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

and the fact that vouchers are being trashed ....
wouoldnt it be good to have a governemnt that actually planned for the future instead of just till the next elections....
Old Apr 17th 2017, 7:32 am
Living the Dream

Efes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to allEfes123 is a name known to all

I must admit, I can't believe (although I really shouldn't be surprised) that they have scrapped the vouchers without having something in place to replace them. I (think) they issued something like 45M euros worth last year. As I suspect all the people who were being paid by them are still being paid, but on the black, then at 25%, that's an average of almost 1M a month they are losing in revenue.