Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:58 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/shop.asp?uid={1CA1748B-CD88-44E7-B6FF-F9714FFAAAA2}&action=add

http://www.britishexpatsupplies.com/view_cart.php

there are 100's on online stores but hardly any of them that will ship bacon so check out these too and work our best choice and prices including shipping.
http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/shop.asp?uid={38E47EC8-19E9-4C58-B0DA-7AAF0958224B}&action=menu&cat=Meat%20Products&subc at=Cured%20Bacon

try again - first link didn't come out
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Yorkie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid that the irish boozers are not an option for me. I'm married with kids and I don't think she'd be too impressed with me vanishing for an hour Saturday morning to get myself a breakfast!

This thread is doing my craving no good at all!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:59 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/shop.asp?uid={38E47EC8-19E9-4C58-B0DA-7AAF0958224B}&action=menu&cat=Meat%20Products&subc at=Cured%20Bacon

try again - first link didn't come out
www.britishcornershop.co.uk
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Never realised the British corner shop sold bacon.

Anyway, I've just ordered 1lb of dry cured from this companyhttp://www.englishbacon.co.uk.

Seems cheaper than the British corner shop, although the British Corner Shop does allow you to buy half a kilo. Depends how much you want, I suppose.

I'll let you know how i get on in a few days!

Somebody else buy from the British Corner shop and we'll compare!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Sorry if this message appears a few times. I'm new on here and, for some reason, my post keeps vanishing.

Anyhow, I've just ordered 1lb of streaky from a company called "The english Bacon Company".

Not certain how to put a link up, but i'll let you know how i get on when it arrives.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:33 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I've used them. They are good, fast and the delivery price is the same up to about 50kg as I remember. Only trouble then is you end up spending 10x more than you intended to to get your 50kg!! I didn't manage anywhere near and still spent about £80 on very little!! You really do need to be desparate for these things to use them. Nice for occasional treats!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Yes, that's what I've just found with them.

If I'd wanted to order loads of the stuff, BCS would have been cheaper, but I don't want to pay a tenner for 1lb of bacon - not when I'm just giving them a whirl anyway.

The one I used charges you for the amount you order, which is better for small quantities.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

kirstystone is an unknown quantity at this point

What is at the top of your shopping list on a trip back to the UK? What do you get family or friends to post to you - whether it is something that you miss or something that is simply a lot cheaper at 'home'.

Top of my list is most definitely TEA BAGS,
closely followed by 16p packets of paracetamol
Cadbury's chocolate
Bacon for a really good Sunday morning bacon sandwich
Heinz Salad Cream
Sharp and tangy ginger crunch biscuits
A trip round all the charity shops to buy cheap books I haven't yet read - and so much more .............

What's on your list ?
I've lived in a few countries and have grown to love a variety of things. This does make "importing" them a bit more complicated.
From Austria;
-black rye bread
-pumpkin seed oil
-frozen desert: balls of soft cheese rolled in bread crumbs and sugar and served hot (my pitiful description sounds awful but they actually are delicious)

From France;
-pineau des charentes (a local aperitif)
-Good but relatively cheap wines of course
-walnut oil
-compote (or from Austria - just you can't get it in Italy)

From UK
-tea (of course) - good strong stuff, not the anaemic variety sold on the continent
-various indian ingredients. Pastes to make tikka etc poppadoms (you can buy chutney here in posh supermarkets, but strangely nothing to dip in said chutney)
-hot cross buns!!!! (toasted with butter melting into them ahhh!)

Things from Italy I will miss
-tasty fruit and veg including loose lettuice (ruccola, lambs-lettuice etc thats not sold pre-packed in bags). I'll just miss the variety!!!
-sweet balsamic vinegar (balsamic vinegar may have that name elsewhere but you can't find the really mild stuff)
- a wonderfull fairtrade chocolate bar my supermarket sells. White chocolate with bits of cocoa bean in it!!!

Well that's the list for the time being. I'm sure when I move to a new country I'll add some more ingredients!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

irish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really nice

SURE ANTI-PERSPIRANT

I have never ever found anti-perspirant deodorant in any part of Italy why? Normal yes dove etc but not the above. Body shop used to do a roll on version.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by irish girl in italy
SURE ANTI-PERSPIRANT

I have never ever found anti-perspirant deodorant in any part of Italy why? Normal yes dove etc but not the above. Body shop used to do a roll on version.
While i remember, I recieved my bacon order and it was fantastic. Proper taste of home. Nearly demolished the whole pound over the weekend.

I also bought some HP with the bacon. Can't have a bacon sarnie without the HP!

If anybody's interested, the website is http://www.englishbacon.co.uk
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:37 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish girl in italy
SURE ANTI-PERSPIRANT

Really?! Do you have a Sephora? They don't do sure but they have anti-perspirant. I also get it from the supermarkets. And I do mean anti-perspirant, not just deodorant. Roberts is an Italian brand in the supermarkets that definitely does it too.

When I got it from Sephora, they called it for "trattimenti" - this is how it sounded! As in for treatment of perspiration rather than for covering nasty niffs. I'd try your pharmacy on that basis too.

Last edited by TestaRossa; Jun 10th 2008 at 2:39 pm. Reason: info
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

irish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really nice

Thanks for your answer TR

No we don't have Sephora it is absolutely not available in any part of R.E. also when I go to see the old bat in the south can't be found believe me if I could buy it here I wouldn't have been carting it home for the past 12 years. Also when I have holidayed in different parts of Italy its the first thing I go search for.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:03 pm
The Original Red Head!

Where's R.E.?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:09 pm
The Original Red Head!

Reggio Emilia? If it is I thought they had Esselunga in that part of the world, or is it just Tuscany and Lombardy?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Reggio E is right and yes we do have Esselunga I would be miserable without it you can buy porridge weetabix bacon hp sauce curry sauces salt and vinegar crisps etc its brill i LOVE IT but alas no antiper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.