Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

ianitaly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

Ok ladies,I know I`m new here but I thought this was a thread about those cherished items much longed for?
I live in Treviso and have found a couple of shops run by Bangladeshi`s,Chinese etc who sell PG Tips,HP Sauces,Branston,Birds custard.
My local Panorama sells real streaky bacon,Lurpak butter and Heinz beans.At over a euro a tin though !
Mint sauce is easy to make yourself.
The stuff I miss though is,M+S Kenyan blend tea,Soreen malt loaf,Crunchies,sausage rolls,salt and vinegar chipsticks and other flavoured crisps,smoked middle or back bacon,black and white pudding to go with the bacon and at Christmas,I have to get someone to get a pudding.Christmas crackers have to come by road.
Also for those autumn and winter nights in,Dvds of British comedy and classic films.
Anyone going back soon ? he he.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

genzana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ianitaly
Ok ladies,I know I`m new here but I thought this was a thread about those cherished items much longed for?
I live in Treviso and have found a couple of shops run by Bangladeshi`s,Chinese etc who sell PG Tips,HP Sauces,Branston,Birds custard.
My local Panorama sells real streaky bacon,Lurpak butter and Heinz beans.At over a euro a tin though !
Mint sauce is easy to make yourself.
The stuff I miss though is,M+S Kenyan blend tea,Soreen malt loaf,Crunchies,sausage rolls,salt and vinegar chipsticks and other flavoured crisps,smoked middle or back bacon,black and white pudding to go with the bacon and at Christmas,I have to get someone to get a pudding.Christmas crackers have to come by road.
Also for those autumn and winter nights in,Dvds of British comedy and classic films.
Anyone going back soon ? he he.
Mmmmmm, malt loaf! Brought some of that back on my last trip home!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

hatters04 will become famous soon enough

I love Melton Mowbray pork pies and good Danish bacon
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:24 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Not going back just yet but I am coming to Treviso airport tomorrow to pick up an old school friend - she might be bringing me a few goodies.
Hope I don't get stuck behind a lorry on the long windy road with no hope of overtaking. Last time the poor girl came I was 40 minutes late thanks to a huge tractor !
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:28 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by genzana
Mmmmmm, malt loaf! Brought some of that back on my last trip home!
me - too - but it has to be the original Soreen - other brands just aren't as good.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Yorkie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
What is at the top of your shopping list on a trip back to the UK? What do you get family or friends to post to you - whether it is something that you miss or something that is simply a lot cheaper at 'home'.

Top of my list is most definitely TEA BAGS,
closely followed by 16p packets of paracetamol
Cadbury's chocolate
Bacon for a really good Sunday morning bacon sandwich
Heinz Salad Cream
Sharp and tangy ginger crunch biscuits
A trip round all the charity shops to buy cheap books I haven't yet read - and so much more .............

What's on your list ?
Hi.

I'm new to this site.

I'm living in Frankfurt and, it seems, am craving a bacon sandwich like many people on here.

Is there nowhere you can buy bacon online and have it delivered to Europe? I'd pay good money for a bacon sarnie this weekend! That's when I miss it most!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:08 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Malt loaf! Might get some of that over the weekend! And crunchies, lots of crunchies! I'm going to check my medicine cupboard too, anti-histamine cream and hayfever stuff might be useful. Lots of books and magazines too I think! 4 of us are coming back Sunday so we should have the room!

Yorkie1 - no bacon in Frankfort!! I thought Germany was pork heaven!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Malt loaf! Might get some of that over the weekend! And crunchies, lots of crunchies! I'm going to check my medicine cupboard too, anti-histamine cream and hayfever stuff might be useful. Lots of books and magazines too I think! 4 of us are coming back Sunday so we should have the room!

Yorkie1 - no bacon in Frankfort!! I thought Germany was pork heaven!
Not proper British stuff.

Not coming back via Frankfurt are you?!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:17 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry! Direct both ways, thank god!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkie1
Hi.

I'm new to this site.

I'm living in Frankfurt and, it seems, am craving a bacon sandwich like many people on here.

Is there nowhere you can buy bacon online and have it delivered to Europe? I'd pay good money for a bacon sarnie this weekend! That's when I miss it most!
there are on-line stores of "all british " stuff but you would end up paying through the nose ..... more for the delivery than for the bacon.

Is Yorkie something else that you miss ???
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough

I must say, we noticed on our last two trips to England, food seems to be getting healthier! Has anyone else noticed that? i.e. the pork sausages we ate weren't as juicy as they used to be, Cathedral mature cheddar cheese, one of my favourites, has got a lot less sharp, Crackerwheat cream crackers used to be lovely and salty but you can't taste the salt at all any more! If I want to get high cholesterol and every other ill that comes with unhealthy eating that should be my business !
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
there are on-line stores of "all british " stuff but you would end up paying through the nose ..... more for the delivery than for the bacon.

Is Yorkie something else that you miss ???
Yes it is! I didn't eat much chocolate back home, but you tend to miss things because you know you can't get them.

I'm willing to pay a bit extra for the proper stuff. Any places you can recommend? The expat stores don't seem to sell bacon.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

ianitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

Ciao Yorkie,
How long have you been in Frankfurt?
I was there May this year.Try any of the Irish boozers in Sachsenhausen,you`ll get a good full Irish Breakfast mate.Real sausages,real bacon,black and white pudding,the works.I`ve worked Dusseldorf,Frankfurt and Munich many times and never failed to find a good brekky.
I`m off to Oslo on Sunday,watch this space !
Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

mmm malt loaf! and real butter. That's what i'll be stocking up on next week!
Ian, if youwant, I have a big Christmas Pudding that my mum forced me to bring back to Italy. I had to lug it around with me when I moved house and I don't want to leave it behind because it's a nice 'luxury' one! but i just don't fancy it myself.
My boyfriend has an 'english corner' in his kitchen now with proper teabags, lea and perrins worcester sauce, HP, Bisto, colemans mustard (that horrible senape stuff here is so bland). I keep all the packet mix things for sausage casserole etc hidden in my cupboards so I can pretend I have just whipped up a sauce from scratch!never found decent sausages here to make a sausage casserole yet though!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkie1
Yes it is! I didn't eat much chocolate back home, but you tend to miss things because you know you can't get them.

I'm willing to pay a bit extra for the proper stuff. Any places you can recommend? The expat stores don't seem to sell bacon.
http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/shop.asp?uid={1CA1748B-CD88-44E7-B6FF-F9714FFAAAA2}&action=add

http://www.britishexpatsupplies.com/view_cart.php

there are 100's on online stores but hardly any of them that will ship bacon so check out these too and work our best choice and prices including shipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.