Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

What about flannels - I have to stock up at Boots when I take a trip home. How else do you wash your face ??!!

By the way I've seen Roses Lime Marmalade lurking on occasion in the Carrefour
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:28 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes - sausages - I hate the hot dog style ones and the other kind are only good on a bbq. I even brought back two big hams (bacon joints) in my suitcase last time and apart from at easter time I find it impossible here to get a nice piece of lamb ! Never even seen any sheep here apart from on holiday once in Sardinia.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:30 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sands
What about flannels - I have to stock up at Boots when I take a trip home. How else do you wash your face ??!!

By the way I've seen Roses Lime Marmalade lurking on occasion in the Carrefour
If you're ever stuck for a flannel just use one of those silly "guest towels" that are two small to dry even your hands on and a British guest ouldn't know what to with anyway.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll remember that, ta. Have you ever tried lamb kebabs here? Do yourself a favour and don't bother They're usually made up of various pieces of tough mutton with no onion or pepper interspersed to break up the monotony. I don't see sheep here either, only scraggy old brown cows, which makes me miss the lovely black and white ones back in the U.K.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:40 am

Just been food shopping, which I normally hate anyway but found it particularly depressing today after all the talk about sausages and real bacon and Cadbury's etc.
Oh the drag of getting stuff into the trolley - then out of it at the till - then into bags - then up the stairs to the front door - and then put it all away !!!

If only I'd had a nice leg of lamb in there for tonight's dinner !!!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

You forgot to mention the courteous way in which your small change is thrown on the counter for you, leaving you to scrabble to put it away before your fingers are squashed by the next customer's shopping .....
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:46 am

and what about the cucumbers here - knobbly old skins that have to be peeled off and I often seem to get a bitter one that nobody will eat.
I did once find a nice smooth English style cucumber in Lidl (it came from Holland) but I never found any again after that.
How difficult could it be to grow my own I wonder. Maybe I'll give it a try.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:48 am

yeah - that annoys me too - and they do it in little shops too - even if I have my hand out and wide open they still throw the change down onto the counter or into a little saucer type thing. Annoying yes! And scrabbling around for a euro just to get a trolley (have learnt to always keep a euro or two in the car).
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:53 am

On the plus side I did come home with a few bottles of some very nice wine that was on special offer and cost less than 3 euro a bottle. That's value for my money !!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

well, a relief to know we'll at least end up being happy dipsomaniacs then
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
On the plus side I did come home with a few bottles of some very nice wine that was on special offer and cost less than 3 euro a bottle. That's value for my money !!!
yeah - that annoys me too - and they do it in little shops too - even if I have my hand out and wide open they still throw the change down onto the counter or into a little saucer type thing. Annoying yes! And scrabbling around for a euro just to get a trolley (have learnt to always keep a euro or two in the car).
and what about the cucumbers here - knobbly old skins that have to be peeled off and I often seem to get a bitter one that nobody will eat.
I did once find a nice smooth English style cucumber in Lidl (it came from Holland) but I never found any again after that.
Click on the button beside the quote button on the posts you want to reply to, then click the new reply button then you can multi quote and answer in the same post. ;-))
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:39 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

If you're ever stuck for a flannel just use one of those silly "guest towels" that are two small to dry even your hands on and a British guest ouldn't know what to with anyway.
Aren't they for your bum?!!

I've never been able to eat cucumber - gives me wind!! But Italian field cucumbers are just great and I have no problems with them for the first time in my life. I can get normal ones too but avoid them. They sell them in my local greengrocers.

I had leg of lamb at Easter - it was very funny though, I basically got a lamb minus head, front legs and rack! It was very good though. If you ever take the train down to Rome via Florence you will see flocks of sheep all along the route, going north towards Turin we saw cows!

I miss the packets of Schwartz Gravy for Beef and Chicken. I'm crap at making it and I forgot to make mint sauce with the lamb too, but no-one noticed!

Potatoes taste different here too, they are wetter, so great in arrosto but not so good boiled.

I last had a flying visit in September to the UK and if I don't get my passport re-newed soon won't ever be going again!! Friends and family post me stuff which is great, but I'm missing stuff less and less. Alot of what I miss I've found subs for already or just do without.

jdr - thanks for the quoting tip!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

No probs, sometimes it saves a bit of work. ;-))
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

genzana is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone else miss proper British chips? Mmmm....
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by genzana
Does anyone else miss proper British chips? Mmmm....
I ocassionally get a craving for fish and chip shop chips with curry sauce - but last time I stuffed my face with a huge portion in England I was awake half the night with stomach cramps - teach me to be so greedy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.