Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

'tis once again the season for unusual creatures ....

'tis once again the season for unusual creatures ....

Old May 5th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 'tis once again the season for unusual creatures ....

Lorna I hope I didn't sound rude re your typing, it's just my warped sense of humour and not enough people to use it on these days!!
Old May 5th 2008, 1:31 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

It actually smells really pleasant - I don't like over powering perfumes etc and I hate anything rose scented. You wouldn't put other people off with it at all - don't know what is in it that puts the zanzare off - maybe something a bit citrussy.
Old May 5th 2008, 1:33 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sands
Lorna I hope I didn't sound rude re your typing, it's just my warped sense of humour and not enough people to use it on these days!!
Rude - no way - we only think that way now as we are so used to apologising for our quirky and sometimes sarcastic sense of humour to Italians all the time .........
Old May 5th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

good! - I feel better now
Old May 5th 2008, 1:37 pm

and to whoever mentioned it before .......... the absolute best stop scratch/itch after bite I ever found is made by VAPE - comes in a handy handbag size tampax sized tube - in green. It says herbal on the product but when I put it to my nose to see what it smelled like I nearly passed out from the ammonia fumes !!!!!!!! (but it doesn't list any chemicals in ingredients).
Has always stopped my kids from crying and itching - even a bee sting!
Old May 5th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you all looks like the cat gets to live a bit longer
Old May 5th 2008, 1:47 pm

anyone else noticed TestaRossa's absence? You can tell darling hubby is back in town - mine's still away. Still we always have loads to talk about when he gets back. Don't know how I'd cope if he suddenly became a "I'm home at 5pm every day" husband - lol
Old May 5th 2008, 1:58 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

If it works I'll get some. But I wonder if my OH will wear it!! He ends up looking like a pox victim after the mozzies have had ago! The portable vape's with a little fan inside worked quite well clipped to his belt last summer. I've bought IKEA nets for all the beds too. These are great until you need the loo in the night and then end up suffocated in net!

What really get's me is how the little b's bite the palm of my hand! Really itchy and painful there!

Have you seen the House Centipedes yet? The don't look like Hugh Laurie, but the drop from windows and things with a loud clatter and look really scary! They will give you a nasty rash and can be lethal to some people but they eat all the other ugly bugs so as long as you keep away from them they are worth having around!!!

My OH gets Procession Caterpillars in Spain. Again in ones they give a bad rash but if you touch a clump of them, by standing on them or something, they can kill you! My OH had my son in Spain not so long ago and they woke in the morning to find about 50 of these things in their bedroom!! My son thought it was a hoot, but dad was petrified!
Old May 5th 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

We had a couple of weeks of procession catapillars in the gardens this year, easily five times more than last year. The little hairs got all into our washing and caused a LOT of itching.

Thanks for the VAPE anti-itch cream, I will look for it at the shops tomorrow. Is it a supermarket product or am I forced into a pharmacy?
Old May 5th 2008, 2:09 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
anyone else noticed TestaRossa's absence? You can tell darling hubby is back in town - mine's still away. Still we always have loads to talk about when he gets back. Don't know how I'd cope if he suddenly became a "I'm home at 5pm every day" husband - lol
My ears must have been burning! My post is immediately below this! So you want to hear about all the rows etc. do you.....! He's still here, just taking the rental car back, leaves again tomorrow, back again next bank hol.
Old May 5th 2008, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by katu
We had a couple of weeks of procession catapillars in the gardens this year, easily five times more than last year. The little hairs got all into our washing and caused a LOT of itching.

Thanks for the VAPE anti-itch cream, I will look for it at the shops tomorrow. Is it a supermarket product or am I forced into a pharmacy?
I got mine in the supermarket - and only a small local supermarket at that. I got it initially because of the handy size and because it was herbal - but it seems to work a treat. It's a kind of liquid gel so you just rub the bally end bit of the tube over the bite - lasts a long time.
Old May 5th 2008, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
My ears must have been burning! My post is immediately below this! So you want to hear about all the rows etc. do you.....! He's still here, just taking the rental car back, leaves again tomorrow, back again next bank hol.
Oh God - I've been caught out ....she's on -line .........good thing I wasn't saying anything bad .... ha ha !
Old May 5th 2008, 3:47 pm
The Original Red Head!

Back again!! Bye....