Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Terminating residency

Terminating residency

Old Apr 25th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Terminating residency

When I leave will I need to do anything to end my residency? - At the commune maybe. I'm only concerned because of the spazzatura tax I pay. ...But would this end when I end my tenancy agreement, afterall it was signing the tenancy which activated the spazzatura tax IIRC.

Aiuto.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:46 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terminating residency

Definitely. Log on to the town hall's web page and it will tell you what you need.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:23 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
When I leave will I need to do anything to end my residency? - At the commune maybe. I'm only concerned because of the spazzatura tax I pay. ...But would this end when I end my tenancy agreement, afterall it was signing the tenancy which activated the spazzatura tax IIRC.

Aiuto.
It won't.

I moved all of 10 kilometers but I did move from one comune to another - even though it was just up the road.

I signed on as a new resident in my new comune and foolishly (only foolishly for Italy) I thought that my new residency would automatically cancel my old one.

4 months later I got rubbish bills for old and new comune. When I went to old coumne to question them they said it was my fault as I had not personally cancelled.

I ended up paying rubbish bills twice that time.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Thanks. I'll look on the comune site. I've heard you have to send a raccomandata letter. I hope this is the case rather than having to go in person.

Did you get money back for having paid twice Lorna? I hope you did.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:23 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'll look on the comune site. I've heard you have to send a raccomandata letter. I hope this is the case rather than having to go in person.

Did you get money back for having paid twice Lorna? I hope you did.
Not a chance.
It wasn't their fault was it.
It was mine for not personally going to the right office in the comune and telling them that I was no longer a resident at such and such an address.

I didn't send any letters though. I went there in person.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I can't see anything on the comune site. OH says it's enough to send a raccomandata. Any advances?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Are you planning on coming back? When I changed my residency as far as the comune were concerned there were three families still living in my house because they had never terminated the residency. The lady did it there and then without any input from the previous tenants. Maybe the fact they were all foreign made them relax the rules a little.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:51 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see anything on the comune site. OH says it's enough to send a raccomandata. Any advances?
It's not enough. We got caught out once. Someone has to pay even if no one's living there. Is one of you registering as an Italian resident overseas? If so, send them a copy of that.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ROSALINDANN
It's not enough. We got caught out once. Someone has to pay even if no one's living there. Is one of you registering as an Italian resident overseas? If so, send them a copy of that.
Hmm. Well OH might register as an Italian overseas (should he?) but he isn't officially resident in this house where we are anyway. Only I am officlally residente.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LivingHere
Are you planning on coming back? When I changed my residency as far as the comune were concerned there were three families still living in my house because they had never terminated the residency. The lady did it there and then without any input from the previous tenants. Maybe the fact they were all foreign made them relax the rules a little.
Not planning on coming back, no. Does that mean that 3 people got rubbish tax bills? :S

On a side note, it took 3 years for my rubbish tax to arrive.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:52 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by LivingHere
Residency and rubbish charges are two completely different problems. You have to pay rubbish charges (tarsu) even if a place is unoccupied so until someone else signs on or you sign off, you'll be charged. Unpaid dues are handed over to Equitalia in a lot of towns. Having said that, if Ariel's oh wasn't resident then unless she returns to the same place in the near future I can't see them 'going after her? as the did with us.