Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

How to prove non-residency

How to prove non-residency

Old Dec 24th 2017, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Trasnadonnta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to prove non-residency

If a property is purchased in Italy to be used by a non-resident (as declared at point of purchase), how is it possible to prove that it is not occupied more than 183 days per annum, in order to ensure non-liability for income tax payment in Italy?
Old Dec 24th 2017, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to prove non-residency

Difficult to prove. Perhaps keeping copies of airline/travel tickets, receipts etc?
Old Dec 24th 2017, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Pica,

Yes indeed, but is that sufficient, or is there a more formal procedure required, such as going to the local authorities to declare arrival and departure dates?

I'm worried electricity/water consumption would enter the equation, as it would also be used by friends/other family members for short holidays.

If anybody has had any experience or problems with this, I would really appreciate their input.

Trassnadonnta
Old Dec 24th 2017, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Italy but usually, it does indeed come down to travel records in the case of a tax investigations. Ferry operators, airlines etc have exact records of passengers' names and the dates/times of travel (if you're counting days, it can even be important whether you travelled before or after midnight) and this will be the only conclusive proof. Keep your tickets but in fact they only prove that you bought a ticket, they don't prove that you travelled on that date - you could have cancelled or amended them.

But it's rare that it comes to that. Usually, the dates you give are accepted.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

EuroTrash

Thank you for the point 'before or after midnight'. It might be a good idea to have passport stamped at border control because as you say, tickets don't prove travel. Feedback is always very helpful.

Trasnadonnta
Old Dec 26th 2017, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

They don't usually stamp passports.
But as said, all international carriers have to keep passenger lists of all travellers, they record every person who checks in for each crossing/flight. That's what would be checked if ever it became an issue, which is highly unlikely.
Don't worry, if the authorities want to trace your movements they will, and they will get all the correct facts. As long as you make sure you don't overstay your days in Italy you will be fine.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trasnadonnta
If a property is purchased in Italy to be used by a non-resident (as declared at point of purchase), how is it possible to prove that it is not occupied more than 183 days per annum, in order to ensure non-liability for income tax payment in Italy?
Best way is to proof non-res status i.e. not using the property is through utility bills. If you don't live there you don't use water/electricity. At least this was recommended to us by a tax lawyer in another EU country. Tax office didn't believe we hadn't used/rented out the property when we sold it.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Best way is to proof non-res status i.e. not using the property is through utility bills. If you don't live there you don't use water/electricity.
but
I'm worried electricity/water consumption would enter the equation, as it would also be used by friends/other family members for short holidays.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

EuroTrash and Thairetired2016, very kind of you to have responded. I think the best thing to do is welcome others when I'm there myself and stick stringently to the 183 days with boarding cards as proof, in that way there's no ambiguity. Thank you both for your input. I personally don't know of anybody had problems with this, but better be sure than sorry.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

EuroTrash and Thairetired2016, very kind of you to have responded. I think the best thing to do is welcome others when I'm there myself and stick stringently to the 183 days with boarding cards as proof, in that way there's no ambiguity. Thank you both for your input. I personally don't know of anybody had problems with this, but better be sure than sorry.
Yes, I think you are right not to worry about it. Over the years we have realised just how many things dictate exactly where were are/were. Just busy adding a few tags to pictures we have taken over the year and even these show exactly where we were. If you have geo tagging on them then even the exact placing is there for all to see. Shop purchases and deliveries are yet another…
Old Dec 28th 2017, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Geordieborn for giving me some great ideas, geo-tagging is a must for me from now on...never even knew of it!

Trasnadonnta