Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

We have just been to the barbers to get ds's hair cut and I could understand a lot of the general chit-chat!! don't know if it is just a 'good day' but I would like to believe I am turning a corner with the lingo.... until the next stupid thing I say!!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:50 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I have just been trawling through this thread, and I must congratulate you all.

I like the relaxed way you have the willing to help/willing to listen senario.

I am from the Spanish forum, and everytime we talk about language and stuff, it endus up a real slanging match.

I like the way you all help eachother, and that way you will all progress further and in record time compared to the Spanish forum.

I would like to learn Italian, I know a lot of vocabulary, because I am Spanish, I uderstand the rule about plurals, which is different to Spanish.

What I would really like to know is would it be easier for me to learn using the

" I have bought, I have seen, I have eaten formation, as opposed to

I bought, I saw, etc.

Cheers
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:11 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I have just been trawling through this thread, and I must congratulate you all.

I like the relaxed way you have the willing to help/willing to listen senario.

I am from the Spanish forum, and everytime we talk about language and stuff, it endus up a real slanging match.

I like the way you all help eachother, and that way you will all progress further and in record time compared to the Spanish forum.

I would like to learn Italian, I know a lot of vocabulary, because I am Spanish, I uderstand the rule about plurals, which is different to Spanish.

What I would really like to know is would it be easier for me to learn using the

" I have bought, I have seen, I have eaten formation, as opposed to

I bought, I saw, etc.

Cheers
Hi JLFS,

thanks for the nice compliments.

Which past tense you learn in Italian can often depend on where you live in Italy.

I'm in the North and the people here use the simple past tense all the time.

Ho comprato una macchina.
Ho studiato francese.
Ho mangiato squalo.

It doesn't matter whether they bought the car, studied French or ate shark ten years ago, yesterday or this morning.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:16 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JFLS. It's nice to start the day with a compliment.

We progress rapidly with our Italian because it's a case of sink or swim here. Italians expect you to make the effort to speak Italian and not vice versa. They'll happily listen to you murder Italian even if they are fluent in another language.

Agree with Lorna. We do tend to use the simple past when the past definite would be more appropriate but everyone does it even the media.

Bare in mind that most Italians use a dialect and often drag the quirkiness into their Italian. For example, in Trieste the say twenty and one instead of twentyone and omit double letters.

Have a nice day.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 5:17 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies folks, I will bear in mind what you say.

I like the idea of not bothering with double letters, because we dont really have any in Spanish.
Of course we have ll, but it has a completely different sound to l, and is very easy to follow.
The double rr, is about the only other one, not like English with ss, gg, rr, mm
ll, pp and loads of others.
I feel it should not take me long to get to grips with this, if I make time to study.
The good thing about Spanish Italian and Portugese is that once you reach a good level in any one of the three, you can understand a big chunk of the other 2.

I hope you dont mind me popping in.

Cheers, and ciao
Old Aug 12th 2009, 8:38 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Feel free to pop in anytime.

You won't get any slanging matches here as we are all a pretty nice bunch of people...... a bit of sarcasm now and again and of course the infamous British sense of humour but nothing too untoward.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Feel free to pop in anytime.

You won't get any slanging matches here as we are all a pretty nice bunch of people...... a bit of sarcasm now and again and of course the infamous British sense of humour but nothing too untoward.

Thank you again, it will make a refreshing change.

Could you give me a little pointer on "letter sounds".

I have figuered out about the "ch" as in Al pacino, and the rule that with no "h" written the h is sounded. (I think)

I would like to know about the Gs. Does it change to marry up with the following vowel? If so would it happen with any other letter.

Cheers
Old Aug 14th 2009, 6:51 am

Thank you again, it will make a refreshing change.

Could you give me a little pointer on "letter sounds".

I have figuered out about the "ch" as in Al pacino, and the rule that with no "h" written the h is sounded. (I think)

I would like to know about the Gs. Does it change to marry up with the following vowel? If so would it happen with any other letter.

Cheers
Words that begin with or include the letters GI are soft and take on the sound of the vowel afterwards :

GI ....... jee
GIO ........ joh
GIA ..........ja
GIU ........... jew

If there is an H the sound is a hard G like the word GHIACCIO ....gee-atch-oh
Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Words that begin with or include the letters GI are soft and take on the sound of the vowel afterwards :

GI ....... jee
GIO ........ joh
GIA ..........ja
GIU ........... jew

If there is an H the sound is a hard G like the word GHIACCIO ....gee-atch-oh
thank you very much, that will help alot. I will wait for the opportunity then pounce with my newfound knowledge.

JL
Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

thank you very much, that will help alot. I will wait for the opportunity then pounce with my newfound knowledge.

JL
hey - come & have a beer in Spain - we had a discussion about language without bloodshed!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Thanks for the replies folks, I will bear in mind what you say.

I like the idea of not bothering with double letters, because we dont really have any in Spanish.

Cheers, and ciao
this is not a good idea, if there are double consonants you need to pronounce both of them as in some case it alters the meaning of the word

palla= ball pala= shovel

pappa= food papa= pope

classic mistake but an amusing one is:

Quanti ani hai? instead of quanti anni hai?
Old Aug 14th 2009, 5:42 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clint
this is not a good idea, if there are double consonants you need to pronounce both of them as in some case it alters the meaning of the word

palla= ball pala= shovel

pappa= food papa= pope

Agree with Clint. Didn't mean that you could get away with never pronouncing doubles even if it is what they do in Trieste, just that there is no need to get too hung up about getting things right. The 'right' way may not be the done way locally.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 1:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by clint

palla= ball pala= shovel

pappa= food papa= pope

So how do you pronounce double "P" or double "N"
Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

So how do you pronounce double "P" or double "N"
ppppapaaaa nnnnonnnnooo, daft i know, just exaggerate each letter
Old Aug 20th 2009, 6:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by PAT M
ppppapaaaa nnnnonnnnooo, daft i know, just exaggerate each letter
That sounds ok to me. A lot of the words you listed have exactly the same meanig in Spanish, so I think I will concentrate on the grammar and use the Spanish word for now.

I will add an "e" on the end of most of the verbs and nouns eg caminar =caminare. Vison = visone.

That way I should be right a good deal of the time. It wil be very hit and miss I know, but I dont know that much vocabulary in Italian. And instead of getting bogged down I gonna go with the Spanish.
Ithink I need the grammar practice more than vocab.

Thanks for the tips,

Deseo a tutti un buon fine settimana

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.