Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:52 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

vestiti “a cipolla”,

I am guessing here but does this mean layer your clothing rather than smear yourself in onion dressing?

The context is clothes required at a place at over 2000m in the Alps!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
vestiti “a cipolla”,

I am guessing here but does this mean layer your clothing rather than smear yourself in onion dressing?

The context is clothes required at a place at over 2000m in the Alps!
Yes, it means it's better to have a lot of thin layers of clothes that you can take off a bit at a time rather than one big thick layer (piumone) that is either on or off. This is so that you cover yourself just right without getting either sweaty or too cold. The sun can be warm but as soon as it goes behind a cloud you feel cold.

But it might also mean you have to cover yourself with onions, you never know with these Italians...

Last edited by jonwel; Jul 29th 2013 at 10:18 am.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:18 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel
Yes, it means it's better to have a lot of thin layers of clothes that you can take off a bit at a time rather one big thick layer (piumone) that is either on or off. This is so that you cover yourself just right without getting either sweaty or too cold. The sun can be warm but as soon as it goes behind a cloud you feel cold.

But it might also mean you have to cover yourself with onions, you never know with these Italians...
cheers jonwei - that's what I thought but as Sestriere is near the French border, when I saw onion I thought I had better go for the rather safe than sorry approach and ask the dumb question
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
cheers jonwei - that's what I thought but as Sestriere is near the French border, when I saw onion I thought I had better go for the rather safe than sorry approach and ask the dumb question
You're welcome, Garby, but be careful about saying "dumb question" - I once asked someone, "Is [don't remember the actual question] or is that a silly question?" And I got the reply, "It's a silly question" and never fouind out the right answer! If I'd just asked the question without any padding they'd probably have told me the answer!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:51 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

You're welcome, Garby, but be careful about saying "dumb question" - I once asked someone, "Is [don't remember the actual question] or is that a silly question?" And I got the reply, "It's a silly question" and never fouind out the right answer! If I'd just asked the question without any padding they'd probably have told me the answer!
fair point - I will take a couple of onions with me just in case
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:37 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Morning all,

how would you say "società con unico socio" ?

I know it means a 'one man business' but I need something more formal, business-like and less Del Boy.

Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Morning all,

how would you say "società con unico socio" ?

I know it means a 'one man business' but I need something more formal, business-like and less Del Boy.

Thanks.
How about 'solo proprietorship' ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sole_proprietorship

PS. mornin' Lorna!
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:11 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
How about 'solo proprietorship' ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sole_proprietorship

PS. mornin' Lorna!
Thanks Mark, that'll do nicely.

A USA lawyer (sorry - attorney ) will be going over what I'm writing so if needs be, he can eventually change any of my words for more legal ones. He just needs to know exactly what I'm talking about.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Thanks Mark, that'll do nicely.

A USA lawyer (sorry - attorney ) will be going over what I'm writing so if needs be, he can eventually change any of my words for more legal ones. He just needs to know exactly what I'm talking about.
OK. Perhaps the Yanks have another expression for it but I'm sure he'll know what you mean.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:26 am

OK. Perhaps the Yanks have another expression for it but I'm sure he'll know what you mean.
Well I've been told he charges $450 per hour so I hope he knows his stuff.

Us lot are in the wrong business !
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Well I've been told he charges $450 per hour so I hope he knows his stuff.

Us lot are in the wrong business !
Blimey! You can say that again ..
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Blimey! You can say that again ..
You can indeed! It's what I think every time I come up against a lawyer. A tenth of that rate would already be worth having...

I've also seen "single member company" if that helps.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 8:50 am

You can indeed! It's what I think every time I come up against a lawyer. A tenth of that rate would already be worth having...

I've also seen "single member company" if that helps.
Thanks Jonwel
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 9:47 am

Statuto .............. is there a better word than statute / company statute ?
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Statuto .............. is there a better word than statute / company statute ?
I think that one is pretty much straightforward, even for our American friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...ation#Statutes

I was thinking about 'mission statement' but that's something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.