Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

My car was broken and is now fixed. "La batteria era interratore" I am sure he didn't say " la batteria era rotta" Does anyone know if this means that the problem was with the starter motor as this is what we thought.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

The battery was broken. Its the cold what does it. At least I have my car back now.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

I heard the expression "mobbing" the other day on Italian radio, do they mean victimisation or bullying?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:43 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
I heard the expression "mobbing" the other day on Italian radio, do they mean victimisation or bullying?
I think it's used in the sense of 'ganging up' against someone Pat M.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:26 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Mobbing is bullying in work places by a superior to put you in a bad light or to get you to ask for a transfer etc.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies, sometimes even english sounding words are misused aren't they?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

In preperation for my meeting with Presida/ teachers next week I wanted to ask about the phrase 'secondo me'. Now I use this all the time and it (I think!!!) means, 'According to me/ I think/ in my oppinion' but how do I say 'According to them/ you etc'? is it 'secondo loro/ ve/ te/' or does the secondo bit change to?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:14 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
In preperation for my meeting with Presida/ teachers next week I wanted to ask about the phrase 'secondo me'. Now I use this all the time and it (I think!!!) means, 'According to me/ I think/ in my oppinion' but how do I say 'According to them/ you etc'? is it 'secondo loro/ ve/ te/' or does the secondo bit change to?
I don't profess to be an expert but from what I have heard ...the secondo bit doesn't change .......... but the person after does .......

secondo me
secondo lei
secondo voi
secondo loro
secondo lui

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think it's OK to say "allora secondo lei/voi/te/loro" meaning in your/their opinion/according to your/their point of view.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:16 pm

I think it's OK to say "allora secondo lei/voi/te/loro" meaning in your/their opinion/according to your/their point of view.
Yep - that works as well
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Brill, thanks Lorna and Pat.... I was trying to look it up in my bookies but couldn't find it. Funny how I love that phrase though eh??!!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Right, just a quickie.... something my darling boy said to a teacher today: 'fatti fatti tuoi' please excuse spelling if it's rubbish!! I think it means mind your own business but is it a very rude way of saying it?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes that's what it means, and may I say your son has great spirit, and no it's not polite, bless him
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes that's what it means, and may I say your son has great spirit, and no it's not polite, bless him
hmmmm yes spirit is one word for it Pat!!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:04 pm

To be prefectly and gramatically correct it should be, fatti I fatti tuoi.

Another way of saying mind your own busines is fai gli affari tuoi.

Like Pat said, it's not really polite Indie from a child to an adult but I suppose it's only like an English kid telling his teacher to keep her nose out or to stop being nosey.

I compliment his Italian. He's really picking up the little bits of Italian that you only get from living here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.