Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

My friend sent me a text message today in italian and there is a word I don't know 'semmai' Any ideas?? The context is 'Semmai ci sentiamo.'
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by indiebird
My friend sent me a text message today in italian and there is a word I don't know 'semmai' Any ideas?? The context is 'Semmai ci sentiamo.'
hi, i dont speak italian but google translate came back with 'if anything (or 'rather'), we feel'
dont know if that sounds right but i was browsing posts and like a challenge.

Last edited by davehornet6; Oct 20th 2009 at 11:09 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:51 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of those compound words or conjugated words or whatever we call them.

It comes from se mai which usually means - if ever.

In the case of your text message I don't think your friend is saying that she'll never get in touch with you again - more likely in this case it means .. in any case we'll be in touch.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:44 am
Account Closed

silvietta is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the translation could be "At least"...we may use "semmai" when there is a uncertain situation: ex. "At what time tonight?" "No lo so ancora, semmai ci sentiamo piu' tardi (così ci accordiamo)" = I still don't know, at least (?) I contact you later on, to agree about this. Could it sound correct in English?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:39 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvietta
I think the translation could be "At least"...we may use "semmai" when there is a uncertain situation: ex. "At what time tonight?" "No lo so ancora, semmai ci sentiamo piu' tardi (così ci accordiamo)" = I still don't know, at least (?) I contact you later on, to agree about this. Could it sound correct in English?
"At least" doesn't work very well in your example Silvietta.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

The other night on Affari Tuoi, someone won 1 kg of Farro. I couldn't find any translation apart from 'spelled' which doesn't make any sense. What is Farro - what did she actually win?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
It's one of those compound words or conjugated words or whatever we call them.

It comes from se mai which usually means - if ever.

In the case of your text message I don't think your friend is saying that she'll never get in touch with you again - more likely in this case it means .. in any case we'll be in touch.
Thanks Lorna, I did use google translate but it came up with 'rather' and I tried bablefish which confused me even more. I know that sometimes these things don't translate so well literally and it wasn't in any of my dictionaries....

Is farro, spelt by the way? which is a type of grain. I think it is a different type of wheat...
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

The closest word to Farro I know was farina, so if it is wheat or grain I wasn't too far off

Is farro, spelt by the way? which is a type of grain.:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'spelt by the way' - I meant that the only translation I could get from Google Translate was 'il farro' = 'spelled'.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:57 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Farro = Spelt. Type of grain. You can get zuppa di farro and bread made from farro flour.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks both of you - she (the Affari Tuoi woman) turned down €18,000 in order to win that 1 kg of grain

I'm getting my english fix at the minute - listening to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 while I'm doing the ironing.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lindaf
I'm not sure what you mean by 'spelt by the way' - I meant that the only translation I could get from Google Translate was 'il farro' = 'spelled'.
Sorry Linaf, it was me writing in a rush!! It should have said 'is Farro spelt by the way?' as in 'on another subject, I think spelt is farro'. I think my italian might only improve when my english does!!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

My four candles/fork 'andles moment at the ferramenta
I went in for a setaccio to sieve the pellets for our stove (the dust causes blockages) after several unsuccessful attempts at other shops, I was really pleased when he asked "what size?", "the largest you have", I said. He came out with half a dozen segacci (handsaws). It caused a bit of a chuckle in the shop.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by PAT M
My four candles/fork 'andles moment at the ferramenta
I went in for a setaccio to sieve the pellets for our stove (the dust causes blockages) after several unsuccessful attempts at other shops, I was really pleased when he asked "what size?", "the largest you have", I said. He came out with half a dozen segacci (handsaws). It caused a bit of a chuckle in the shop.
Hope he didn't think you were about to start chopping your own pellets up - or even worse - bodies
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lorna - I want to offer some homemade (sweet) mince pies to my neighbour.

I don't think they have mince pies here so you can translate this for me so I can try and explain what they are to her?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:44 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no translation for 'mince pie'. All you can say is that they are 'tortine di pasta frolla ripiene di frutta secca'. And don't forget to leave one out for father christmas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.