Reload this Page >

SSN and the UK S1

SSN and the UK S1

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

windyridge1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN and the UK S1

Hi All.... I wonder if I could have some advice please

I understand that the S1/E106 will cease in April this year to all brit expats. All articles I have read refer to registering with the SSN by supplying the S1/E106. Where do we fall when we are pre retirement age but retiring from employment, relying on an army pension?
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:17 pm
Banned

NEWCOMO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SSN and the UK S1

Hi I understand the following with S1. I assume you are looking to live only not work in Italy and take social security contributions from UK to Italy. The answer, I think S1 will last only a max of 2 years based upon previous contributions then you have to either take private insurance or go into the Italian scheme. The days of UK transferring full social costs are going or long gone. You can use EHIC for 1 year only so you could get 3 years of social costs paid or go back to/from UK on EHIC and not be resident.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

windyridge1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NEWCOMO
Hi I understand the following with S1. I assume you are looking to live only not work in Italy and take social security contributions from UK to Italy. The answer, I think S1 will last only a max of 2 years based upon previous contributions then you have to either take private insurance or go into the Italian scheme. The days of UK transferring full social costs are going or long gone. You can use EHIC for 1 year only so you could get 3 years of social costs paid or go back to/from UK on EHIC and not be resident.
Yes, live only not work. I wasn't sure about the EHIC but that is useful thank you.

I spoke to DWP today and they definitely confirm that although I qualify for the max 2 years, I need to supply a permanent address for the S1 to be sent to, therefore I come unstuck as I don't as yet have one and the 1st April is the cut off for the S1, it will no longer exist.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:55 pm
Banned

NEWCOMO is an unknown quantity at this point

A Permanent address in Italy or UK? This seems easy?

Get a mail address (forwarding address) if necessary or friends in UK or Italy.