snow chains

Old Dec 2nd 2016, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

larryandcaron is on a distinguished road
Default snow chains

Hello all,just a quick question,do I need to carry snow chains in a landrover,I think I read somewhere that 4x4s don't need to
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: snow chains

As far as I know the requirement is for all vehicles which dont have snow tyres
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Check your tyres and see if they are marked M+S. Its quite a big fine if they stop you and you are without winter tyres or chains.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

larryandcaron is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that I'll put them in
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

I got a cheap set from Auchan. They are still in the original wrapping!
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larryandcaron
Hello all,just a quick question,do I need to carry snow chains in a landrover,I think I read somewhere that 4x4s don't need to
Just sling a set in the back to comply with the law, but you won't need them.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

That depends. Snowed heavily here last March and noone was getting up the mountain without chains.

I read a motoring article a while back where they trialled various 4x4 and 2-wheel-drive versions of vehicles, the latter fitted with winter tyres, up a snow dome. The ones fitted with snow tyres performed better on the whole, although admittedly not all the 4x4s had the sort of low range that I imagine Larry's Landy probably has.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
That depends. Snowed heavily here last March and noone was getting up the mountain without chains.

I read a motoring article a while back where they trialled various 4x4 and 2-wheel-drive versions of vehicles, the latter fitted with winter tyres, up a snow dome. The ones fitted with snow tyres performed better on the whole, although admittedly not all the 4x4s had the sort of low range that I imagine Larry's Landy probably has.
Yes, I was talking Landrover. A few years ago I towed a caravan over the San Bernadino in a snowstorm without chains. The year San Gottardo was closed after a fire or something.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

Two cars here. One, a 4x4, I have had fitted with winter tyres. These are safer, not just for snow but also for colder road surfaces, I am told. For the second, an MX5, I have bought chains (€40 in Carrefour) as I wouldn't expect ever to use the car when the use of chains was likely. So, primary reason is for safety when driving through the winter but also to be legal. My advice was that chains are a b****r to fit on larger wheels (from a Landrover user) so although winter types would be the expensive option, it may be a far better one where winter tyres or chains are a legal requirement and there is a chance that you may need to use them.

HTH

Last edited by arjacey; Dec 17th 2016 at 9:33 am.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 7:09 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Chains are a bugger to fit on any car ..... or so I've been told and have seen people struggling. I've never tried to put them on myself and don't ever intend to if I can avoid it. I live at the bottom of huge mountains, but have no intention of ever driving up them in the snow. The mountain roads seem to be kept spectacularly clean and gritted though compared to others.