Sicily Help

Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Kenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sicily Help

It wasn't harsh, it was completely true and fair, like I said, I am sulking

This is all why I am thinking of Spain. I don't think the world owes me a living I just want to try and find one! I thought that speaking English fluently would be advantageous in terms of work in a touristy area but I think that is not really true.

In terms of people being snobby about language maybe I have just been unlucky with the people I have met and shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. I have met a couple of people who have been very helpful.

I came to Sicily mainly for the missus but I think even she is changing her mind now.

I appreciate all the feedback.. I just need a few people to snap me back to reality because it has all been a bit draining and depressing. I really want to find something here and I am desperately trying to make it work, however as I am watching my bank balance decline I can't help but feel I need to make some tough decisions.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:53 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenzo14
It wasn't harsh, it was completely true and fair, like I said, I am sulking

This is all why I am thinking of Spain. I don't think the world owes me a living I just want to try and find one! I thought that speaking English fluently would be advantageous in terms of work in a touristy area but I think that is not really true.

In terms of people being snobby about language maybe I have just been unlucky with the people I have met and shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. I have met a couple of people who have been very helpful.

I came to Sicily mainly for the missus but I think even she is changing her mind now.

I appreciate all the feedback.. I just need a few people to snap me back to reality because it has all been a bit draining and depressing. I really want to find something here and I am desperately trying to make it work, however as I am watching my bank balance decline I can't help but feel I need to make some tough decisions.
As you have surmised there are no easy answers on this one Kenzo. Just try and keep your chin up and keep looking for opportunities. Spain isn't exactly the land of milk and honey from an economy or jobs point of view either.

very best of luck mate
Old Jan 15th 2014, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Most young Sicilians dream of going off to London - and everyone always says to me, why did you come here? - but you could the get the best of two worlds - leave with the new wife and find work in the 'frozen north' for 6 months a year but you'll always have a fabulous extended holiday home in Sicily. Any job that you can do better than a local will require some bit of paper - tour guide, teacher, barman, lifeguard and so on - so you should seriously think about getting some Italian qualification, you'll find they attach huge importance to a Grade 3 recorder certificate.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

What does your girlfriends family do ? That would be the first port of call, but is potentially dangerous as you are then 100% immersed in your in laws. You're only an hour or so train ride from palermo - have you thought about commuting? How good is your italian? If everyone is using you as a free English lesson, stop it - refuse to speak Englihs unless you get an Italian lesson first. Or just refuse until you learn Italian. Its very frustrating, but worth it.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Kenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant future

The family are farmers. I was with them originally working but they weren't paying me, they just gave me somewhere to live which was a good start but I couldn't progress because I didn't have time to be job searching and I was somewhere very small. I have thought about commuting but the people here say the money I would spend on the train outweighs the money earned. My Italian is ok but not great. In terms of paper I have 14 GCSE's and 3 A levels, 2 in business studies and 1 in sport development. It seems to mean little to the people here though. Yeah the biggest problem is everyone wants to speak English! I will start in Italian but the second I make one mistake they revert to English and refuse to change back.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:22 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

. Yeah the biggest problem is everyone wants to speak English! I will start in Italian but the second I make one mistake they revert to English and refuse to change back.
Kenzo I firmly believe you just have to keep responding in Italian whatever they do. I had many convesations where they spoke English and I responded in Italian at first. However, as time goes on and your Italian improves they will eventually realize your Italian is better than their English and then you have cracked it.

Other thing I did was to agree with the 2 Italians in my office that we would only speak to each other in English on mon/wed/fri and Italian on tue/thurs. That way, in a fairly short time, my Italian improved as did the English ability of one of my office mates (the other guy is pretty much bilingual).

Hope that helps a little
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

The family are farmers. I was with them originally working but they weren't paying me, they just gave me somewhere to live which was a good start but I couldn't progress because I didn't have time to be job searching and I was somewhere very small. I have thought about commuting but the people here say the money I would spend on the train outweighs the money earned. My Italian is ok but not great. In terms of paper I have 14 GCSE's and 3 A levels, 2 in business studies and 1 in sport development. It seems to mean little to the people here though. Yeah the biggest problem is everyone wants to speak English! I will start in Italian but the second I make one mistake they revert to English and refuse to change back.
Hi Kenzo, Ive been casting my mind back(no mean feat I assure you) :-)
In the winter 72/73 I worked in Cefalu' as an area manager for a large UK tour operator; one of those that unfortunately long since disappeared. As I remember it Cefalu' was quite a lively resort, although no doubt things have changed. Anyway, I still have a list of the hotels I worked with; all of whom at the time would have been glad of native English speaking personnel. Examples Baia del Capitano, Costa Verde, Le Sabbie d'Oro, Kalura, and others I can't remember out Gibilmanna way. Worth a punt I would say. Also with your education certs. why not have a bash at advertising yourself as an English teacher and see what reaction you get. Another thought, if you want to move but not too far from Sicily - Malta?
Anyway, buona fortuna.
by by dicette l'inglese,
'o nonno
Old Jan 15th 2014, 1:39 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Kenzo - is it the winter weather that is getting you down as well as the lack of job ? Things always seem better when the sun is shining.

But then at this time of year Spain isn't in any position to give you sunshine and even on the CDS touristy jobs are few and far between in the summer and non-existent in the winter.
and there do seem to be a lot of Eastern Europeans who can speak English who are getting jobs.

But if you are serious about living in Spain or Italy - and why drag the BH away from the family unless you have to - why not try for a "real" job, one with a multi-national paying reasonable wages. But that will mean paying serious money for a flat. Here in Granada its either a shared student flat at €200/m or on your own at €500+
and then again there is the BH to consider - will she want to mope around feeling miserable with you feeling miserable and no money coming in.

first you need a plan, stick to it and only move to another place or country if really desperate - but remember the BH in all of it.

but its only another 4-5 months before it is warmer and the tourists are flooding in
and you are still young, can put off the Paddie Pub for a couple of years until you have been able to get some real money behind you - all as per The Plan.

regards
Old Jan 17th 2014, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Hey all, sorry its been a few days, things are getting hectic, Back in the uk tomorrow. Yeah I have tried the only speaking in Italian but it seems someone has told them to only respond in English. I like the idea of alternate days, I will give that a go. I am going to go round all the hotels when I return on the 20th Feb. I will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for all your help guys I really appreciate it.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

If they respond in English you answer them in Italian. Or correct their English - they'll soon stop. Or just say you cant understand them! Or even better - cosa vuoi dire, cosa esattamente vuoi dire? Theyll revert to Italian soon enough.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 6:44 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

This means very little to people in the UK too.. as it is not experience and when times are tough that is what people look for first..

I feel your pain with everyone looking to speak English, I am in the same boat as far as that goes but self employed.

I will send you a personal message have a look