Sicily Help

Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Kenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant future
Default Sicily Help

Hi All,

I live in Cefalù Sicily. I love the town, its a wonderful place to be. However I am finding so much in Sicily insufferable and really need to vent.

First of all: Opening Times

They don't exist, shops open as and when the wind blows people into them and as for closing, some nights they close at 11, other nights they close at 7. I walked around last night desperately hunting a take away Pizza at 21:00pm and not one to be found!

Cars:

This doesn't seem to end, I look on subito for cars, but can't buy one because I am not resident, even if I become resident (Which is its own rigmarole! No job etc) because I am 24 and in Province Palermo in Sicily the insurance is Phenomenal, 2.200 per anno for a fiat brava 1998 1.6 Haven't had a chance to look at Tax and MOT equivalents

People/Jobs:

I have worked in Castelbuono briefly for next to nothing cash in hand and although I was grateful at the time I am noticing a pattern of people offering the world and delivering naff all. I am speaking with one at the moment who had offered a place to stay for free and 300 a month to look after his apartments, now we are getting closer to the time the 300 has disappeared and I just don't think he is reliable enough, I think the apartment won't be as free as he is making out. It seems people here really just want to get to know you and will say anything to do that, once they know you they don't want to know anymore? Is it me? When I was in Castelbuono an American told me that if you offer someone a finger they will take your hand here. Its sad to say I think it is true.

I came to Sicily because I always wanted to live in Italy since I was a kid and had a best friend who was Italian. I came to Sicily specifically because I loved the idea of being in Italy having the weather of the Mediterranean Islands as I have always been going on Holiday to Menorca.

I am so disappointed though, Menorca seems to be miles ahead in terms of understanding foreign tastes. I go into a bar in Sicily and they are all the same, bottled beer, plastered with pizza cakes and ice cream. No where can I find decent Birra alla spina, or decent music. I like listening to live bands for example. I am in arguably one of the most touristy cities in Sicily and they are just not catered for it.

I am about to marry my Sicillian fiancé who is from Castelbuono and I think we are looking at heading to Spain now. We are not really looking for a 18-30's place to live but at least somewhere we can go where the options are slightly higher than Pizza, Ice Cream and Pasta...

Finding work has been difficult, I thought the hotels would jump at the chance of having a young enthusiastic English man on their reception, boy was I wrong.

Sad to say but I think we are going to try and survive this season and then move on to Spain. Shame money is low now and we might even have to return to blighty

Just want to hear other people's thoughts, what do you think? Anyone have experience of this area? Know of any work? Basically.... HELP!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:57 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sicily Help

Hello,

why does it have to be Spain? Why not Florence for example or a university city?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Kenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant future

We are still considering various places. I think my issue is I have become very disillusioned with Italy whereas I have always loved Spain. Moving north could be an option. I think I am just sulking a bit

The soon to be missus has said she would be happy to go north. Wherever we go it will be our last opportunity financially to move for a while. I am returning to the UK to work for a month which gives us a bit of cash.

I would probably need to courier all my stuff wherever we go as I don't own a vehicle at the moment.

Really wherever we go we would need an 'In' whether thats a place to stay or a job for either of us. She shouldn't have to much trouble as she is fluent in Italian and English but my italian is not great. Although miles better than my Spanish.

Where are you based? How is life in your part of the jungle?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Based on your first post , why not go to Menorca ?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Yeah thats one option as well. Its just going on Holiday somewhere and living there is very different. It a great place to be on holiday but I am not sure it would be good to live for many of the same reasons Sicily hasn't worked out.

I was thinking maybe Valencia should we go to Spain but I think I was really hoping someone would have a good Italian option. I don't really want to leave Italy disappointed.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
I totaly agree based on the posts I think you want England with sunshine
Italy is not turistick like spain even the north of Italy
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Maybe not England with Sun just a nice job with Sun. I love speaking another language and mixing with people but Sicily is a whole new level of snobbery and they openly admit it. If I make a mistake with Italian I am immediately dismissed by the locals no real encouragement I have found.

What I would love to find is a city with good weather and good employment opportunities all year round. Where I am now is all black economy and everyone trying to con an extra euro out of everyone else. I just would like somewhere I can find work, take the pay home and have a nice quiet life.... Too much? I was thinking Valencia because of good weather and its a big city so employment rates should be better. I just would love to find something in Italy/Sicily like that...
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

here in abruzzo the locals don't snub you if youy make a mistake with the lingo the weather is so mild you would not belive iam stil not wearing winter cloths juust lite summers one the food is good and cheap so is the wine BUT there is not any work even the locals are strugeling as is our BB next to a ski resort people have no spair cash
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I appreciate that work is difficult to come by everywhere. I had a dream of coming here and opening an Irish bar in Sicily but I needed to work for a bit first. The longer I am not working the further away the dream is going. More annoying is that although I am certain the tourists would be happy with that kind of bar the locals here will drink one 'b****e'(Sorry I consider that a swear word) of beer and thats it. My first night here I had 2 bottles of beer and people were looking at me like I had just arrived from Mars... I don't think an Irish Bar or English Pub could ever survive in Sicily. Not outside of Palermo or Catania anyway.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Sicily for a good number of years and I dont agree with most of your post.
Part of the problem may be that you live in Cefalu which is a tourist town and has little life of its own, it has a population of about 10.000, which triples in summer. Go out looking for a pizza on a Monday night and you will have problems in any small town, most restaurants tend to close on Monday, as they are open all weekend. Italy is a country of bottled beer, and live music you will find in big cities, not in little seaside towns out of season.
You possibly find work in season, but out of season - as with all seasonal jobs - there is nothing. Contracts run for the summer, lots of hotels close in the winter. It will sound cruel, but what did you expect? Sicily has crippling unemployent, any employer will have a list of family, friends and acquaintances who all want work - why should you jump to the head of the queue? Given the current state of the economy, jobs are hard won any where in Italy - unless you have something that no-one else can offer in your sector.

I have never encountered snobbery as regards teh language - most Sicilian are only too keen to help you learn Italian, and know that your your Italian is probably better than theirs if they speak predominantly Siciilan.
There is a certain pride and obstinacy - in that Sicilians do things the way their parents did, and dont see the need for change - but that too is changing with the younger generation who are all too aware of how backward Sicily can sometimes seem to be.
Having said that you are marrying into a Sicilian family and so better learn to accept all of that, otherwise you will be deeply unhappy. I just nod and laugh and let it all wash over me.
Instead of drumming your heels in Cefalu why not think of Palermo, or Naples - much more vibrant cities - with more possibilities of work, (live music and beer) but bear in mind that a work contract is the holy grail in southern Italy (and most of Italy at the moment) - there are young people with degrees and doctorates who cant even get temp work in a call centre. Of course would be employers will try it on, and offer you the world in return for your labour - I have Sicilian clients who work their bits off and never get paid, that's why most people end up setting themselves up in business - so they are not dependent on others. What it comes down to, Im afraid to say , is why does the world owe you a living? It doesnt. Apart from being keen and speaking English what else do you have to offer?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you want the warm weather of the med with the chance to work in an Irish bar it will have to be an spanish island or the costa del sol where plenty of Irsih bars flourish in the tourist season
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Rereading that it sounds rude , which I didnt intend. Irish pubs do exist in Sicily - but Sicilians are not big drinkers, being drunk in public is not acceptable here - (thank god - too many years of stepping over comatose people in Leicester Sq put me right off a good British night out) but you need to be a bit practical. Opening a pub require a ton of paperwork, licences, you have to do a course in Italain for handling of foodstuffs, and so on - but they make money if you open the hours that young Sicilians want to go drinking ie - Fri,Sat Sunday evenings from 10pm to 5 or 6 in the morning. But if you are looking for hard drinkers, then you need to find another country.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:53 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Of course here in Rome you keep falling over Irish pubs - lost count of how many I have seen. However, they mainly cater for tourists, the odd expat and AUR students...

the tone of modicasa's post may seem a tad harsh but it is essentially fair
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by modicasa
Rereading that it sounds rude , which I didnt intend. Irish pubs do exist in Sicily - but Sicilians are not big drinkers, being drunk in public is not acceptable here - (thank god - too many years of stepping over comatose people in Leicester Sq put me right off a good British night out) but you need to be a bit practical. Opening a pub require a ton of paperwork, licences, you have to do a course in Italain for handling of foodstuffs, and so on - but they make money if you open the hours that young Sicilians want to go drinking ie - Fri,Sat Sunday evenings from 10pm to 5 or 6 in the morning. But if you are looking for hard drinkers, then you need to find another country.
here here here a big bloke wiil pehaps drink a cupple of campareis or perhaps[s a cuppl of small bears and playn cards all night , not a pub culture here , there is an irish pub called belive it or not in the next tow called the Red lion complete with cast iron shop front but hardly any drinkers . spain the place for that so iam told
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
I have lived in Sicily for a good number of years and I dont agree with most of your post.
Part of the problem may be that you live in Cefalu which is a tourist town and has little life of its own, it has a population of about 10.000, which triples in summer. Go out looking for a pizza on a Monday night and you will have problems in any small town, most restaurants tend to close on Monday, as they are open all weekend. Italy is a country of bottled beer, and live music you will find in big cities, not in little seaside towns out of season.
You possibly find work in season, but out of season - as with all seasonal jobs - there is nothing. Contracts run for the summer, lots of hotels close in the winter. It will sound cruel, but what did you expect? Sicily has crippling unemployent, any employer will have a list of family, friends and acquaintances who all want work - why should you jump to the head of the queue? Given the current state of the economy, jobs are hard won any where in Italy - unless you have something that no-one else can offer in your sector.

I have never encountered snobbery as regards teh language - most Sicilian are only too keen to help you learn Italian, and know that your your Italian is probably better than theirs if they speak predominantly Siciilan.
There is a certain pride and obstinacy - in that Sicilians do things the way their parents did, and dont see the need for change - but that too is changing with the younger generation who are all too aware of how backward Sicily can sometimes seem to be.
Having said that you are marrying into a Sicilian family and so better learn to accept all of that, otherwise you will be deeply unhappy. I just nod and laugh and let it all wash over me.
Instead of drumming your heels in Cefalu why not think of Palermo, or Naples - much more vibrant cities - with more possibilities of work, (live music and beer) but bear in mind that a work contract is the holy grail in southern Italy (and most of Italy at the moment) - there are young people with degrees and doctorates who cant even get temp work in a call centre. Of course would be employers will try it on, and offer you the world in return for your labour - I have Sicilian clients who work their bits off and never get paid, that's why most people end up setting themselves up in business - so they are not dependent on others. What it comes down to, Im afraid to say , is why does the world owe you a living? It doesnt. Apart from being keen and speaking English what else do you have to offer?

my thoughts exactly.And I was in a similar situation 53 years ago: and I'm still here.
Did have to make the odd trip abroad or to the UK in the early days to find a wage.
by by dicette l'inglese,
'o nonno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.