Sicilians!

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Kenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant future
Default Sicilians!

Hi all,

I apparently registered for this site back in 2014 and completely forgot!

I live in Sicily, looking to see if there is any sort of community of expats down here. Hope I can impart some knowledge along the way. Not sure how active this forum is but still, Ciao tutti!

I noticed Geordieborn in a few of the threads

Kenzo14.. KenzoXIV... (Wonder if I can change that!)
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sicilians!

Welcome Kenzo, yes the very same GB...
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Only visited because we have family there. Do you like it? We loved it (for two weeks).
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Kenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant futureKenzo14 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NYer
Only visited because we have family there. Do you like it? We loved it (for two weeks).
Truly stunning Island in all honesty. Difficult to live here if you are looking for work however. I don't really think much of the big cities but the small towns have their own little curiousities which can be wonderful.

I loved Italy since a child and spent 10 years going to Menorca for my holidays so Sicily is the perfect compromise between the two for me.

Kenzo
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

It's different alright. Have you read Persephone's Island by Mary Simetti? She's an American who moved to Sicily years ago and discusses, in wonderful prose, the pros and cons of living in Palermo and Sicily in general.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

I have been here for over 30 years, maybe more Sicilian than British !!!!!!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

I've been on holiday in Sicily 3 times and know some Sicilians in Milan. They're not as extrovert as Neapolitans, for example, but once they've figured you out you'll find friends for life who will do anything they can to help you.
And unlike the Neapolitans they're not rowdy and disorderly.

(apologies to any neapolitans for the generalisation!).
Old Mar 6th 2018, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by giuliana
I have been here for over 30 years, maybe more Sicilian than British !!!!!!
Wow that is a cracking effort!! Where abouts on the island are you? We are just on the outskirts of Palermo, I know it says Cefalu but thats outdated we are now around Altavilla.

Have you found much of an expat community around?

Kenzo
Old Mar 8th 2018, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kenzo14
Wow that is a cracking effort!! Where abouts on the island are you? We are just on the outskirts of Palermo, I know it says Cefalu but thats outdated we are now around Altavilla.

Have you found much of an expat community around?

Kenzo
Cracking effort? What, I am brave???? All my friends are Italian, I don't really have much to do with the expats! I am near messina.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by giuliana
Cracking effort? What, I am brave???? All my friends are Italian, I don't really have much to do with the expats! I am near messina.
Hehe brave no but I think Sicily is not without its challenges! I have noticed the expats all kind of keep to themselves over here, I find it a bit of a shame but I am used to seeing a big expat community in Menorca.

I am married to a Sicilian so I have the best of both worlds in terms of integration but it would be nice to meet up with other brits who have been here for a while.

I have been here for 5 years and for the first time a week ago one of my wifes cousins turned to me and said I am more or less Sicilian now, I was quite honoured I haven't ventured over to Messina too much but we do have friends in Galati Marina. On the one or two occasions I have been there it has always seemed very nice.

Kenzo