Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Should I return to Britain for university?

Should I return to Britain for university?

Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice
Default Re: Should I return to Britain for university?

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Blimey! you must have been in a posh 'un! it was a lot grimmer oop North!
My son is oop North!!!!
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by giuliana
My son is oop North!!!!
Yes but it's all different now .. .not like when I were a lad ... (cue Monty Python sketch..)
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Yes but it's all different now .. .not like when I were a lad ... (cue Monty Python sketch..)
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

You mean you were so poor even t'mice left 'ome? Me an' all.:-)
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ononno
You mean you were so poor even t'mice left 'ome? Me an' all.:-)

We lived in a shoebox in't middle o'road ...

But we digress...
Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

We lived in a shoebox in't middle o'road ...

But we digress...
Digress?????
Old Oct 25th 2013, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by giuliana
Digress?????
Talking about something which is not immediately pertinent to the inital subject of conversation.

Back to universities: I heard on the news this morning that student fees may have to be increased again to make up for deficits in university pension schemes ....
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Increasingly "Britain" is not one place as Devolution and possible Independence takes effect

Ob EU students coming to SCO see this

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...y-in-scotland/
Old Jan 17th 2014, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Bluemoon10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciate that this may well be a a 'closed' thread but I thought I'd add a comment anyway. Before even discussing fees one should think whether they want to live in Italy or elsewhere after their degree. The point is that Italy ONLY recognises degrees which are gained in Italy! If you, for example have a degree attained from a UK university but want to work or continue your studies in Italy, you still have to apply for an 'equipollenza' which is generally involves registering at an Italian uni and having to sit additional exams. I speak for experience as I was educated in the UK with 10 years experience in my field but still had to go through a very time-consuming process to operate in Italy.
If your intention is not to have a career in Italy, Id say that the UK student experience is much, much better and it generally leads to a job at the end of it.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your comments Bluemoon - not a closed thread at all, although the original poster seems to have disappeared.

It's true that getting your non-Italian degree recognised is difficult..but not impossible, especially considering the Process of Bologna, which was initiated as far back as 1999 in order to try and unify European universities, using the credit system and so on.

But as already said this is Italy, where they seem to thrive on bureaucracy, so one should always be prepared for a few headaches/disappointments.

At least the Bologna agremeent means that Italy now has a two tier system (3+2 years) like the UK Bachelor/Master system, even though the second part is still kept to 2 years, instead of the usual UK 1, to make it like the old 5 year ones...with so many useless courses/exams!
Old Jan 17th 2014, 11:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

All you need to know about Scottish Uni fees can be found here, and yes they are free for 'qualifying' EC students, but I suspect people from Britain may well be charged the full fee, and, bear in mind, that by the end of 2014 Scotland may not be part of the UK, and therefore not part of the EU, and may hve to join as a single entity.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...y-in-scotland/
Old Jan 17th 2014, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

cigol is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your comments Bluemoon - not a closed thread at all, although the original poster seems to have disappeared.
No I'm still here. I always have been, I just haven't responded to any of the posts in the thread. I'm quite surprised that anyone is replying to this anymore as it was made 4 months ago.

I still have one question though. On the list of tuition fees posted by this guy.
Would I be considered "From England" or "From the (non-UK) EU, EEA or Switzerland". Seeming as I still have a British passport and am a British citizen however I'm an Italian resident and have been for 6 years now.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Bluemoon10 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you apply to Scottish Unis apply you'd be applying as British Citizen but with an Italian residency. Coming from the EU you won't pay fees (the EU will pay) whereas if you are an applicant from the UK (outside Scotland) you will pay the same fees as south of the border (£3K odd a year for an undergraduate degree) times 4, of course, as Scottish undergrads (with hounors) are a year longer than in England.

That said, if cash is not the main issue I'd recommend you to look at degrees in England as well. Their funding, especially in non-academic activities have been higher than in Scotland and therefore they offer better student experiences.

BM
Old Jan 17th 2014, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

For fees at Scottish unis RESIDENCE and not nationality or place of birth is what determines fees and fee exemption.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

cigol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bluemoon10
If you apply to Scottish Unis apply you'd be applying as British Citizen but with an Italian residency. Coming from the EU you won't pay fees (the EU will pay) whereas if you are an applicant from the UK (outside Scotland) you will pay the same fees as south of the border (£3K odd a year for an undergraduate degree) times 4, of course, as Scottish undergrads (with hounors) are a year longer than in England.

That said, if cash is not the main issue I'd recommend you to look at degrees in England as well. Their funding, especially in non-academic activities have been higher than in Scotland and therefore they offer better student experiences.

BM
Originally Posted by scot47
For fees at Scottish unis RESIDENCE and not nationality or place of birth is what determines fees and fee exemption.
Great. Thank you both.