Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Should I return to Britain for university?

Should I return to Britain for university?

Old Oct 24th 2013, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice
Default Re: Should I return to Britain for university?

Originally Posted by Jim73
You learn every day! I work at a Scottish university and thought they were free for EU students! They all seem to charge £1820 per annum, which is good value compared to their English equivalents. For what its worth there has been a massive influx in Italian undergraduates, postgraduates and staff in my institution.
Yes Jim, I saw it was £1820 too , but you have to be an EU student or from Scotland , that would mean having nationality from an EU country or born in Scotland and not England, because if you are from England you pay the full £ 9000 !!!!!
Old Oct 24th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

In short: if you have the money and the language skills go for the UK, making sure of course that it's a good university/course.

I'm not sure where you live but just to spezzare una lancia for Italian universities the ones in the north at least are very well organised, even though they still have to adhere to the national system which is rubbish.

The test d'ingresso system has helped improve on overcrowding but it still gets clogged up with students not being able to finish their exams within the year, having to carry them over to the next year and so on....but it's the system that allows them to do that.

As already mentioned the UK system is shorter and possibly "easier", but that's not to say an Italian degree would be lacking in any kind of prestige. In fact I know that some UK academics are aware of the "tougher" Italian system and so all the more merit for getting through it!

On the other hand it's always a pain getting a UK degree 'recognised' in Italy, providing you would ever want to do that. The usual red-tape and bureaucratic nightmares are involved.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkRD
In short: if you have the money and the language skills go for the UK, making sure of course that it's a good university/course.

I'm not sure where you live but just to spezzare una lancia for Italian universities the ones in the north at least are very well organised, even though they still have to adhere to the national system which is rubbish.

The test d'ingresso system has helped improve on overcrowding but it still gets clogged up with students not being able to finish their exams within the year, having to carry them over to the next year and so on....but it's the system that allows them to do that.

As already mentioned the UK system is shorter and possibly "easier", but that's not to say an Italian degree would be lacking in any kind of prestige. In fact I know that some UK academics are aware of the "tougher" Italian system and so all the more merit for getting through it!

On the other hand it's always a pain getting a UK degree 'recognised' in Italy, providing you would ever want to do that. The usual red-tape and bureaucratic nightmares are involved.
I agree with the unis in the North Milan etc, but I really don't think a English degree would have any problems being recognised here, unless for example in the building sector where things are done differently. My son is doing TESOL and English. All foreign countries like Japan , China and the Middle East require an English degree and Celta plus 2 years experience to teach.
So it depends what you want to do with your degree when and if you get it!!!
Old Oct 24th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by giuliana
I agree with the unis in the North Milan etc, but I really don't think a English degree would have any problems being recognised here, unless for example in the building sector where things are done differently. My son is doing TESOL and English. All foreign countries like Japan , China and the Middle East require an English degree and Celta plus 2 years experience to teach.
So it depends what you want to do with your degree when and if you get it!!!
This is Italy my dear.

http://www.universita.it/equipollenza-titoli-esteri/

I know..I've been through it all.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

This is Italy my dear.

http://www.universita.it/equipollenza-titoli-esteri/

I know..I've been through it all.
I gave up !! In theory your degree will be recognized but in practise its very difficult . I know of one person who had a first in chemistry from Oxford and got her request turned down....
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
I gave up !! In theory your degree will be recognized but in practise its very difficult . I know of one person who had a first in chemistry from Oxford and got her request turned down....
Request for what? They can't just turn down a request to be 'recognised' can they?

Mine was particularly complex because it's from that faraway decade known as "the eighties", before the CFU/credit system. As usual if you persevere and shout loud enough you'll get things done.

Last edited by MarkRD; Oct 24th 2013 at 9:27 am.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Pipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond repute

I would say if you only want to use your degree in Italy it would be wise to consider an Italian University degree. If you are happy to go where ever your career takes you then a degree from a UK uni might be better and more generally 'world applicable', especially in the computer world.

I think one more thing you might want to take into consideration if you apply for a UK uni but you have no close family base nearby- is the spread of how far from home students studying there are. I went to a very good uni which I wouldn't have changed for the world but it was on the outskirts of London and almost the whole campus would empty out on a friday afternoon until monday when everyone left to go home to mummy's cooking and laundry skills. The majority of people's homes were only 30 mins drive away. To go home to my parents every five seconds is not personally why I went to uni, so this annoyed the hell out of me!
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pipistrelli
I think one more thing you might want to take into consideration if you apply for a UK uni but you have no close family base nearby- is the spread of how far from home students studying there are. I went to a very good uni which I wouldn't have changed for the world but it was on the outskirts of London and almost the whole campus would empty out on a friday afternoon until monday when everyone left to go home to mummy's cooking and laundry skills. The majority of people's homes were only 30 mins drive away. To go home to my parents every five seconds is not personally why I went to uni, so this annoyed the hell out of me!
Thats' interesting as back in my day it was the exception to go home every weekend .. in fact I had one friend who did that, and was the butt of endless jokes and jibes about being Mummy's boy etc. ! I suppose things have changed a lot now with costs, .. or young people not being used to look after themselves anymore?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:38 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Thats' interesting as back in my day it was the exception to go home every weekend .. in fact I had one friend who did that, and was the butt of endless jokes and jibes about being Mummy's boy etc. ! I suppose things have changed a lot now with costs, .. or young people not being used to look after themselves anymore?
I thought the Boomerang generation meant going back home to the parents after finishing University not every weekend.

My mother had my room rented before I even reached the railway station to head for University.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
I thought the Boomerang generation meant going back home to the parents after finishing University not every weekend.

My mother had my room rented before I even reached the railway station to head for University.
Yeah seems incredible now that I left home at 18 to go to uni .. and never to return!
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:55 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim73
You learn every day! I work at a Scottish university and thought they were free for EU students! They all seem to charge £1820 per annum, which is good value compared to their English equivalents. For what its worth there has been a massive influx in Italian undergraduates, postgraduates and staff in my institution.
Works out cheaper than an Italian UNI. Turin Poli cost us €2,500 p.a. €12.500 plus €1,100 for the thesis year. We did get a large discount for the 2 yrs that both sons were attending Uni.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
Works out cheaper than an Italian UNI. Turin Poli cost us €2,500 p.a. €12.500 plus €1,100 for the thesis year. We did get a large discount for the 2 yrs that both sons were attending Uni.
Aren't UK unis about £9,000 per year?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:23 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't UK unis about £9,000 per year?
I quoted Jim73's post on Scottish fees -£1820.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Pipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond repute

As is how it should be!!!

My uni emptying at weekends was nothing to do with costs as the fees weren't anything like they are now. Plus most people had several ponies frolicking about the their parents paddocks and certainly weren't short of a bob or two. I was about the only one on my course working two jobs to afford to eat and buy the books I needed!
It was purely the close proximity of most students parents and the missing of their butler I suspect!

Though, you are right, with the high costs these days perhaps people aren't even leaving home to attend uni. I couldn't comment on that. It was a good while ago for me now.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pipistrelli
As is how it should be!!!

My uni emptying at weekends was nothing to do with costs as the fees weren't anything like they are now. Plus most people had several ponies frolicking about the their parents paddocks and certainly weren't short of a bob or two. I was about the only one on my course working two jobs to afford to eat and buy the books I needed!
It was purely the close proximity of most students parents and the missing of their butler I suspect!
Blimey! you must have been in a posh 'un! it was a lot grimmer oop North!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.