Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Shipping a car from Italy to UK

Shipping a car from Italy to UK

Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Shipping a car from Italy to UK

Any advice on shipping a car to UK. Costs? Experiences? It's a small city car and I don't think it or I could do the drive

Thanks.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:44 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a car from Italy to UK

What about looking at the ferries part way? There are loads out of Naples and Cittevecchia up near Rome. You might be able to get to Marseille and then only have the drive up to Calais to do, which isn't a bad drive at all. I did Nice to Toulouse in a C3 in July, and although I wouldn't recommend it it was okay. HTH!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

"Only up to Calais" ... Hmm still sounds a bit of a trek for me . It might work. I'll have a look where I could get to from Naples / Civitavecchia.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:06 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably do a stopover half way - lille or lyon? Can't remember which! Nice to Paris with a couple of stops is about 9 hours and then on to Calais is probably another 2 1/2 if your car isn't too speedy. I did Paris to Calais in about 90 mins many moons ago with a decent car.....
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Nuvoletta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ariel, just being nosey really, but what are the reasons for taking the car back to the UK? for the price of driving back, you could buy yourself a cheap city car in the UK anyway! It's going to cost you the best part of a £1000 to get it back, car prices have yet to fall in Italy like they have in the UK.

Check out www.autotrader.co.uk for car prices, I think you will be suprised by what you can buy now.

If not, what car is it that you have? we used to drive back and forth from Udine with our Lancia Y, just take your time, make a trip of it!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, I wouldn't want the hassle of selling and buying another. But would the hassle of taking it be greater perhaps ..? :S It's an Atos.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:10 pm
The Original Red Head!

ROFL! Sorry!!!

I sold my, then, 7 year Atoz (UK spelling, as in A to Z!!) in '06 for, wait for it, £350! It did have 99,000 miles on the clock but according to sources in the area I lived in it is still going. This was before we moved out here. I decided mine at that age wouldn't make it, but when it was 4 years old I was beating up and down the M25/M40/M6 to Manchester in it without a second thought.

Depending on it's age will decide you whether it will make it or not. Bear in mind they stopped making them for the UK market when mine was new, so there really isn't a market for them. The Getz, Amica et al, were the replacements.

But I did find it was the perfect car for me and children in the UK. I drove it in the city and in the countryside and it was great in both. I can always remember going to a fairly posh party in a bluebell wood in someone's garden...we all had to park up in the field near it (also the garden...) everyone had either a Volvo estate or a 4x4, except me. Everyone, except me, had to be towed at the end of the party as they had sunk into the mud. The vindication at having actually jacked in my 4x4 for my little Hyundai was pretty good! The new i series look good. Had 2 Hyundai's, in fact it was the other one, which had a 3l engine not a .995l engine that got me to Calais in 90 mins! Great cars, but not appreciated that much in the UK.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:19 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Ariel,
I have to ask why would you even contemplate it, a drive from Naples to Calais is such a small car would take about three days, with fuel and tolls and ferry fees would probably cost about €400 though. A ferry from Naples or Rome would be a lot more expensive and you would still have an horrendous drive to do once you got off the ferry. I can understand your comment about selling a car here but buying in UK, now cheap as chips and the process is simple as you probably know. I was in UK last weekend and had a look at small (ish) cars, over here €3000, in UK for a similar make and model with less miles on the clock (and right hand drive of course) 1500 UK pounds. I will have to weigh up the pros and cons of re-registering a UK car in Italy before I make the decision on where to buy though, including costs of ferries and fuel/tolls to get it down here.
When are you planning on going back with the car??
Regards Kenny
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kenny, this is why I want to ship the car and not do any of the driving - or as little as possible. I didn't realise the cars were cheaper in England - that's worth knowing. I am only considering it simply to avoid the hassle of selling here and buying again there when I'd have lots of other stuff to deal with. BTW, I should add that this is all hypothetical at the moment. Was just wondering.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:19 pm
The Original Red Head!

So were we....! Thought you might be leaving us! Not JUST yet then?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
So were we....! Thought you might be leaving us! Not JUST yet then?
Not yet, no .. But I just thought I'd weigh up what's involved in a possible getaway ...
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:00 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Ariel,
When you do decide to do a runner and if you do decide to sell your RHD car, if I am still around let me know. I work with a whole raft of Brits who are constantly on the lookout for wee cars for their OHs and would try and help you offload (I mean sell) it
Kenny
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:11 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
Well, I wouldn't want the hassle of selling and buying another. But would the hassle of taking it be greater perhaps ..? :S It's an Atos.
Same car that I am driving here and I love it.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:03 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like a transformer.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:40 am
The Original Red Head!

They look like something from the Early Learning Centre! I can say it! I had one too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.