Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Seriously considering to move to Italy but not 100% sure.

Seriously considering to move to Italy but not 100% sure.

Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

hippysunshine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seriously considering to move to Italy but not 100% sure.

Originally Posted by arjacey
I would avoid those parts of Italy where Inspector Montalbano is living. He just seems to attract it like a magnet
I had to google that. I'm not clued up on Italian Crime Series... yet!
Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

hippysunshine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Ha! I think Italy is like any other country, some places experience a spate of crime and then nothing for years on end. I'm sure there are places to avoid as there is in most countries, but it likely comes down to small local areas. We know of/new a number of woman who live/lived here alone for many a year without problem. It is one of those things you are going to have to consider (as you say) when looking at specific accommodation. If I were you I would be more concerned about the work aspect if you have to work here. A big welcome, by the way
Yeah I figured it was going to be a lot harder than just asking, but worth a shot to see if anyone had any advice on particular areas.

Where do you live?

And thanks, if I make it to Italy that is
Old Aug 31st 2017, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
If you don't want to do TEFL and I certainly didn't, then think about tour guiding. You can do this on the long tours or one day tours in the big cities. If you prefer the short tours you need to be near one of the big three cities. Rome provides the most work with Florence and Venice trailing a long way behind.
As far as I understand, you do have to be qualified (and I would imagine the exams are in Italian) and registered to do this.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hippysunshine
Yeah I figured it was going to be a lot harder than just asking, but worth a shot to see if anyone had any advice on particular areas.

Where do you live?

And thanks, if I make it to Italy that is
Nice prompt, did not realise I don't have a location on here... It's Abruzzo, Teramo region.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

It's on BBC2 You can start getting clued up before you go.

I taught English with no TEFL exam. You may be able to get something with UK tourist agencies - for example rep work if around a tourist area.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

To be a tour guide takes a blue badge, and that takes years to get. The system has changed recently: it used to be a course and an exam per comune, or province - now its more general - but you cant just walk in and start guiding. Teaching without a TEFL qualification is getting more and more difficult - there are loads of qualified teachers out there, so unelss your employer wants to pay you peanuts because you are unqualified, its unlikely youll make much headway.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I live in MOntalbano land, and compared to Midsomer or the OXford colleges we have virtually no crime!
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

BBC4 Saturday 10pm (UK time).
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by modicasa
I live in MOntalbano land, and compared to Midsomer or the OXford colleges we have virtually no crime!
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Learning the language is crucial. Unfortunately many from the Anglosphere (Yanks AND Brits) have a mental block on acquiring foreign tongues !
Old Sep 5th 2017, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

To be a tour guide takes a blue badge, and that takes years to get. The system has changed recently: it used to be a course and an exam per comune, or province - now its more general - but you cant just walk in and start guiding. Teaching without a TEFL qualification is getting more and more difficult - there are loads of qualified teachers out there, so unelss your employer wants to pay you peanuts because you are unqualified, its unlikely youll make much headway

Sorry to disagree Modicasa but as for guiding it can be done you just have to know how to do it. Obviously the Colosseum and the Vatican are no no's but otherwise I know lots of Italians and stranieri that do it
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Italy is filled with people who do things they shouldn't. It just comes down to getting away with it.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Italy is filled with people who do things they shouldn't. It just comes down to getting away with it.
Seems Italy has been always that way, more rules passed more people find ways around them.

I think finding work one can do online form any where is the way to go and will be easier than finding a job in today's economic climate in Italy.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Of course you can do it, but if you get denounced by a regular tour guide because you're nicking their work, then its your problem. It is a regulated job and you must have a blue badge to be paid and guide. Have a guest who has an accident on the tour and you're not insured and then you're stuffed. Here there are lots of illegal tour guides, but the genuine ones get pretty fed up and every now and again denounce the lot to the GdF