Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Seeking dual citizenship in Italy

Seeking dual citizenship in Italy

Old Jan 12th 2017, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

OliveCameToo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeking dual citizenship in Italy

Briefly, I had an appointment at the Consulate in London to apply for dual citizenship. Because Mum, unbeknown to her, lost her Italian citizenship through marrying an English man, I was sent away (case apparently left open - 30 June 2016) and told to get proof that she had re aquired her Italian citizenship etc.

I now have a Certificato Contestuale di Cittadinanza, stato libero, residenza which I need as proof.

My quandry, as I am now in Italy, do I send the document back to the Consulate in London or do I apply here? Which do you think will take less time? I have paid already over in the UK but have to wonder which will be quicker?
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking dual citizenship in Italy

Here you can apply online, pay your 200 euros and sit back - it'll take at least 2 years.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Here you can apply online, pay your 200 euros and sit back - it'll take at least 2 years.
Towards the end of the process you will be "invited" to your local questura to go and have your photo and finger prints taken. The later is a digital process and serves to check that someone who has been refused citizenship in province X can't then go and apply in province Y under a different name. So they say. So, even though you can apply online you will need to go to the office in London at some stage if you do the application that end, which might not even be an issue for you but just flagging it up for others.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

I have already been to the Consulate in London, paid my fee of 300 euros, and my case has been left open.

If I send the document and they deem it proof of Mum's Italian citizenship, will they send the passport or would I have to go back to the UK to collect it. I was told (they didnt know when we were moving to Italy) that I wouldn't need an appointment if I sent proof and it was passed.

Really, why should I have to pay again and then wait another 2 years!
Old Jan 13th 2017, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

This maybe a dumb question but can't you write to them or phone them to ask for advice on what to do?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have answered the question yourself then - stick with the consulate.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Donna Noble
This maybe a dumb question but can't you write to them or phone them to ask for advice on what to do?
No not dumb I will try emailing them!
Old Jan 14th 2017, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by modicasa
I think you have answered the question yourself then - stick with the consulate.
Yes, probably, just didnt want to have to go back to the UK just to pick a passport up!
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it's been explicitly stated otherwise what you are applying for is recognition of your Italian citizenship, not a passport. An application for an Italian passport would need to be made separately.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Blimey, I thought for that money I would have at least got a passport thrown in! Not sure what the money goes towards as I had to find the documents, get them translated and apostilled and travel up to London!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 3:55 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OliveCameToo
Blimey, I thought for that money I would have at least got a passport thrown in! Not sure what the money goes towards as I had to find the documents, get them translated and apostilled and travel up to London!
Nope, as usual, BritinParis is right. Passport is another €116, plus photos and fingerprints.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Err speechless, which makes a change for me!
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Though as an Italian citizen you only need a passport to travel outside the EU - within the EU, you are use your national ID card which only costs a few euros.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

How/where would you get an ID card from?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I got mine from the Comune, after proving my residence in that comune. I'm not sure how it works for Italian citizens seeing as you can be a citizen but live overseas.

If you have Italian residenza, go to the Comune as your first port of call. I think it costs something like €5.45 and 3 passport photos (least it did for me last year). As a UK citizen, mine's only valid for ID purposes within Italy and thus it's not valid for travel. I don't know what the ID cards are like for Italian citizens but mine is an impressively low-fi documents which must be incredibly easy for anyone to forge if they put their mind to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.