Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Scrapping UK reg. Car in Italy

Scrapping UK reg. Car in Italy

Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Scrapping UK reg. Car in Italy

Has anyone scrapped a UK registered car in Italy. Or failing that written one off so that it could not be returned to the UK?
What is the relevant legislation?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice
Default Re: Scrapping UK reg. Car in Italy

Originally Posted by chris120
Has anyone scrapped a UK registered car in Italy. Or failing that written one off so that it could not be returned to the UK?
What is the relevant legislation?
When we changed our plates to Italian ones we had to fill in a form to send back to DVLA and I am 99% sure that there was a question on the form about car being scraped (or something to those words) I would ring DVLA up and ask them,
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Chris I don't think the UK side is a problem it is just a form to say it is scrapped. look at the bottom of your log booklet I think I remember an option for transfer of ownership and an option for scrapped.

Normally when you sell a uk car you send one part of the logbook (form) back to the dvla with the new owners details. I think if you scrap a car you do the same but tick the box scrapped..

All here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ate/DG_4022057

I don't know if there are any implications in Italy re scrapped cars like a fee to have them scrapped. I will ask my Father in law and get back to you tomorrow .
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

the DVLA link is all about scrapping in UK, note the reference to an authorised treatment facility.
I was hoping to be able to realise some value by trading it in with a dealer, has anyone tried this?
I don't want to contact DVLA, the vehicle has been out of the UK far too long.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao, in 2009 I re-registered in Italy a GB reg. motorhome, in order to be able to sell it here, but it was LHD and Euro 3 so no real problem, except that it took me about 4 months and a lot of money and patience. However, my beloved Landrover Discovery was beyond a trip to UK to MOT/road legalise it, although it was in good running order; and no way would I have managed to legalise it here; RHD/old/ etc. so I advertised it as non-road legal on www.subito.it and managed to sell it for 250 Eurines. Re DVLA I simply filled in the bit on the V5 as 'permanently exported' and posted it off. That was 15 months ago, and not heard a word from anyone since. HTH.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
P.S. from time to time I check the reg.no. on the DVLA website, and it just shows up as 'permanently exported'.

Last edited by ononno; Feb 8th 2011 at 10:35 am. Reason: P.S.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ononno, your Landrover Discovery situation sounds to be exactly where i am with my Fiesta. I'll try that.
Did you try to get a trade in with a dealer to profit from the government sponsored scrap a car offer?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

No I didn't. I couldn't take it back to the UK to do that; and no way a dealer here would have touched a RHD GB reg, crock. I was just glad I got some money out of it, instead of having to pay a demolition firm €100 to come and take it away.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

We had a similar situation and I gave the car away to a friend who needed to drive some stuff back to the UK. She knew what she was getting and she used it until the MOT ran out then scrapped it.

I was just pleased not to have to deal with it in Italy. You could always ask the Top Gear chaps to "use" it next time they come to Italy!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 6:43 am
Just Joined

CiaoLunigiana is an unknown quantity at this point

We scrapped a UK registered car last October and to our surprise, it couldn't have been easier.

We took it to a place near La Spezia together with car registration docs, codice fiscale and passport. The place itself was clean, business-like and not an overall in site. A few details were put into a computer and a document printed off and that was it. No waiting, no problems! It didn't cost us anything. Frankly, we couldn't believe how efficient and how straight-forward it all was.

In the UK, we sent a copy of the document (in Italian) together with the form required by the DVLA to say we had scrapped the car and had no problems at all.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

TorkandGrunt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CiaoLunigiana
We scrapped a UK registered car last October and to our surprise, it couldn't have been easier.

We took it to a place near La Spezia together with car registration docs, codice fiscale and passport. The place itself was clean, business-like and not an overall in site. A few details were put into a computer and a document printed off and that was it. No waiting, no problems! It didn't cost us anything. Frankly, we couldn't believe how efficient and how straight-forward it all was.

In the UK, we sent a copy of the document (in Italian) together with the form required by the DVLA to say we had scrapped the car and had no problems at all.
We face a similar problem. Our UK-reg car is 10 years old and not worth taxing and insuring again. What was the place you went to called? Was it a comune or Government place? We are trying to find our local equivalent.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:27 am
Just Joined

The place we used is http://www.palagisrl.it/. I don't know if they are a government organisation or not, although I suspect not. Most likely to have received funding from the EU as they tick all the boxes for environmental recycling.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

The place we used is http://www.palagisrl.it/. I don't know if they are a government organisation or not, although I suspect not. Most likely to have received funding from the EU as they tick all the boxes for environmental recycling.
Many thanks - I did a bit of web searching and I've found 2 demolition companies very close to home. Thanks again - Bob
Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

did they keep your UK V5 or did you retain it to send back to UK?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, my husband dealt with it and I'm not sure what a V5 is. They wanted the log book and proof of ownership plus Codice Fiscale. They issued us with a certificate saying the car had been scrapped. We had everything we needed to notify the DVLA. It was extremely straight forward.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chris120
did they keep your UK V5 or did you retain it to send back to UK?
Why not get a duplicate Registration Certificate (you can do that online) then you have it if they need it, and you can use the other to declare it off-road for UK purposes. Shimple... as the meerkat says.