Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Just been reading the Corriere and found this interesting article on schools (its been translated thank goodness )

http://www.corriere.it/International...ool-back.shtml

hope the link works.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:03 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Got back from il reunione, excuse spelling!! It started at 5.30 and Antonia was with me...

Anyway, useful, seem like a nice load of parents! All very chatty and little angst. The nuns are very dry humoured too and I think they are on the right track - be interesting to see how Inglese goes tomorrow with a secular teacher! Completely threw me when they said the Lord's Prayer at the start!

Anyway some of you would spit blood if you saw the Media where the meeting was held! Completely renovated, all spotless, classroom had AV with a hook up for laptop presentations, which the diretrice did on a Sony Vaio...why is it strange to see Nun use a mike and a PC? It is though!!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Testa - am spitting blood

I always find it funny when I see 4 nuns in a car - dont know why - just makes me giggle
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:15 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas about 5 of them crammed into a mini after the regita! There was a lot of fussing and elbowing going on! Very funny!

You could live in the Media! It was beautiful, seriously! It must've been decorated over the summer. All the floors were new looking - it looked brand new - maybe the nuns do it over the summer for something to do!!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I got cut up by 4 nuns in a Panda a while ago... how can you hoot your horn at nuns??!!

There is one classroom used by the third year at H's scuola media with a multi-media board... H went there yesterday after he was hassled by the Religion teacher as to why he didn't 'just' do religion... *sigh* I've told him to politely tell her next time she says anything that he doesn't do it because the Presida recommended that he go elsewhere and do extra work in Grammar to help with him speaking Italian as a foreign language. I do get tired of explianing it to teachers when she was the one who said that as we were not religious it would be better. Goes to show who actually runs the schools here....and it ain't her!! He got to sit in another lesson with some third years and do his italian homework instead.

Julia is at school from 8.30-4.40 monday to thursday and finishes at 3.50 on fridays. H is there 7.50-4pm Monday, weds, thurs and finishes before lunch at 1.20 on tuesdays and fridays. I've made it clear that those 'free' arvos are for homework so it takes the pressure off our weekends...
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

You're lucky Indie - my son has to go on Saturday morning and its a right pain in the arse Seems each school decides whether to do Sats or not - in our village we tried to ask the teachers if they could do more afternoons and not Saturday but they didnt want to know

(off with my bike now to collect my car - yippee ......and its not raining )
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:18 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who has kids that come out of school at 12.30 on most days?

I get tired of wondering about what to give them for lunch and later something different for dinner - and thank goodness they're not picky eaters.

I also set the alarm on my 'phone to 12 if I'm out and about down in town or somewhere so I know it's time to get moving.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

The schools in my town, a frazione and the next town are all under the same 'instituto' (one of the things that would have been quite difficult to change school for H in the past) and therefore it depends on what you want. The school in the frazione offers no lunches and sat mornings and two 'rientrares' a week. The other scuola media in the next town has a heavy musical leaning and if you choose to send your child there they get to learn an instrument and do less technical education. In that way it works quite well but you do need a car as a parent if you want to exercise full-choice.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Forgot to add a little story H told me yesterday... he was there all day and they went for lunch. the teacher sent them off to the loos to wash their hands. H squirted the soap dispenser and got out....... urine!!!!! He told the teacher who said that they don't supply soap and if you want to use it then they will need to bring in their own.... how the hell did wee wee get into the soap dispenser though??? That's what we wanted to know.... I'm going to get him some hand sanitiser but I've told him to try and touch things in the loos as little as possible!!

That's the thing about Italy sometimes... there's no sense of collective responsibility... bring your own everything and make sure you're alright and stuff anyone else....
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:31 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Yak !

Who the hell pisssed in the soap dispenser?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

H said that if they had actually pissed in it then they would have had to have climbed on the sink..... the mind boggles doesn't it!!?? We did have quite a giggle imagining boys balancing on the sink after we'd stopped gagging .... pity boys don't ever put some of this 'genius' into getting all their work done properly eh??!!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:39 am

I've just read that article Patty.

The number of non-compliant school buildings is shocking.

This next bit is something we have all known for years :

Pay is one of teachers’ main worries. The economic package froze seniority increments for three years and it is likely that those increments will never be paid. Ms Gelmini has said that they will be replaced by merit-related increases. Here, the problem is how to develop and implement a system to identify deserving teachers, and where to find the money to pay them.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I've just read that article Patty.

The number of non-compliant school buildings is shocking.

This next bit is something we have all known for years :

Pay is one of teachers’ main worries. The economic package froze seniority increments for three years and it is likely that those increments will never be paid. Ms Gelmini has said that they will be replaced by merit-related increases. Here, the problem is how to develop and implement a system to identify deserving teachers, and where to find the money to pay them.
I read it too and was interested in what their definition of 'non-italian' kids might be as the article implies that this doesn't cover those who were born in Italy. Are you not Italian if you are born here?? It goes to show how difficult these rules are to oversee. My kids are not italian obviously at all but they do speak Italian well and seem to be at the same level as other kids in the class. where do you draw the line?? H's school have no french teacher this year so far either....
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:46 am

If you are born here to both non-Italian parents you are also non-Italian.

My Tunisian neighbours have 3 kids born here and they are all on a permesso di soggiorno. Not a sniff of Italian citizenship. I think the eldest can apply when she is 18 but I'm not sure if her dad has to get it first.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
If you are born here to both non-Italian parents you are also non-Italian.

My Tunisian neighbours have 3 kids born here and they are all on a permesso di soggiorno. Not a sniff of Italian citizenship. I think the eldest can apply when she is 18 but I'm not sure if her dad has to get it first.
Can this carry on down the generations then?? seems like there would be some kids who would count as non-italian that probably are better integrated (i.e. not coddled up just in the family 'compound' until they are 6) than some italian kids!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.