Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Dec 19th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Originally Posted by K in Modena
Yes my sister-in-law did the same thing, worked a few months then had over a year off on maternity leave!
I get the feeling it is one of the 'aims' of women of a certain age as they cannot get rid of you either until you say so. I suppose if it's the system then you can't blame people but it is one of the things that makes me think the recession here isn't hitting the 'normal' people as hard as it is in the UK or the US. It seems impossible to get rid of people here.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Something like that happened in a first year class at our school recently.
Some parents had complained that rubbers and glue and nice pencils etc. were going missing or getting lost too frequently. The teacher said the kids have to look after their own stuff, check at home and check their own bags ........ until one day, one little boy went to the loo and when he came back some of his stuff had gone. He told the teacher that he knew he had it before and it couldn't be at home.

The teacher made every kid empty their bag upside down onto their desks and discovered that all the missing stuff was in one little lad's rucksack. He was a right hoarder by all accounts and had a huge loot of other people's things.
I do wonder if it is a bit of a kid's silly trick, because Harrison bought a lovely wooden times table square with little cubes in it the other week and took it into school to show people, left it on his desk when he went for a Computer lesson and when he came back there was a cube missing. He came home and was a little bit annoyed and the teacher had shouted at him because it shouldn't have been at school (which was true actually- he had snuck it in his bag!!) and I was a bit annoyed too, but yesterday his two best 'friends' gave it back to him as a present because they had taken it out and hid it!! He also got a mini padlock back from one of the other boys that he'd lost a while ago!!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:27 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Ruth, are you still around and how are you and Alex 3 getting on ?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:22 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Little Alex's homework today ......

"write 8 full sentences".

Jesus - he can only just write his first words all by himself like - pane- mela- fata - nodo - dado.

I felt like giving him 8 sentences all on the lines of :

Io odio i compiti.
La maestra non è buona.
La scuola è difficile.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Little Alex's homework today ......

"write 8 full sentences".

Jesus - he can only just write his first words all by himself like - pane- mela- fata - nodo - dado.

I felt like giving him 8 sentences all on the lines of :

Io odio i compiti.
La maestra non è buona.
La scuola è difficile.
Bless him!! Must admit Julia got a damn poem to read over the weekend with words with 'gn' in the middle and other letters they haven't even done yet. She was a bit discouraged and got tired easily cos it was hard. Today she 'forgot' her book to read from... I told her not to use her brother's tricks on me!!

I've had a few weird days with Harrison. On friday I could have sworn the teacher mouthed 'ottimo' at me, so I doubted my Italian lip reading but Miss Sparkly rushed over to tell me that Harrison had been ottimo in class. Well you could have knocked me over with a feather. Today the other teacher came out with his diary in hand so I was thinking 'Oh sod it, here we go...' and, sure enough, she motioned for me to go over and I went in front of everyone only to find that he had got an 8 1/2 for History which is almost unprecedented. He hates history! He hates studying, but I've made him recently and obviously it's paid off. She's even told him that if he can get an 8 or a 9 next week then she'll up the mark on his pagella for History. I was molta contenta today!!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
Bless him!! Must admit Julia got a damn poem to read over the weekend with words with 'gn' in the middle and other letters they haven't even done yet. She was a bit discouraged and got tired easily cos it was hard. Today she 'forgot' her book to read from... I told her not to use her brother's tricks on me!!

I've had a few weird days with Harrison. On friday I could have sworn the teacher mouthed 'ottimo' at me, so I doubted my Italian lip reading but Miss Sparkly rushed over to tell me that Harrison had been ottimo in class. Well you could have knocked me over with a feather. Today the other teacher came out with his diary in hand so I was thinking 'Oh sod it, here we go...' and, sure enough, she motioned for me to go over and I went in front of everyone only to find that he had got an 8 1/2 for History which is almost unprecedented. He hates history! He hates studying, but I've made him recently and obviously it's paid off. She's even told him that if he can get an 8 or a 9 next week then she'll up the mark on his pagella for History. I was molta contenta today!!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:27 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Julia falling did get them worried! Well done Harrison! I hope you gave him a reward!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Julia falling did get them worried! Well done Harrison! I hope you gave him a reward!!
Oh yes, I think the potential reward is the motivation. My OH in an attempt to be all fatherly, drew up a contract which gives Harrison certain amounts of money for the votes he gets in class. Anything 5 or below (a fail) means money is deducted and bad notes mean money is deducted. Last week Harrison owed Jamie €2.50!! This week Harrison is in credit so far..... I'm not convinced myself.... but perhaps it will work. I just don't think it's something that Jamie will continue if Harrison gets 9s or 10s for everything and so I'm worried about Jamie altering the rules to suit himself.... but I suppose it's up to the two of them.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:00 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

They did say he was very bright. So much for you thinking he was struggling with Italian or rather, him letting you believe that. Big pat on the back to BOTH of you.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
They did say he was very bright. So much for you thinking he was struggling with Italian or rather, him letting you believe that. Big pat on the back to BOTH of you.
Too bright for me I think sometimes!! Thanks for the pats on the backxxxx
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:03 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, I think the potential reward is the motivation. My OH in an attempt to be all fatherly, drew up a contract which gives Harrison certain amounts of money for the votes he gets in class. Anything 5 or below (a fail) means money is deducted and bad notes mean money is deducted. Last week Harrison owed Jamie €2.50!! This week Harrison is in credit so far..... I'm not convinced myself.... but perhaps it will work. I just don't think it's something that Jamie will continue if Harrison gets 9s or 10s for everything and so I'm worried about Jamie altering the rules to suit himself.... but I suppose it's up to the two of them.
Jamie needs to keep the reward system up. The last thing Harrison needs is an adult confirming that is all right to give up or not complete things.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Jamie needs to keep the reward system up. The last thing Harrison needs is an adult confirming that is all right to give up or not complete things.
Will you tell him though as he's not listening to anything I say at the moment!!??
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:09 am
Concierge

Will you tell him though as he's not listening to anything I say at the moment!!??
Harrison cerainly takes after him.!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Harrison cerainly takes after him.!
Funny, but Jamie reckons he takes after me!! Off to the psychologist tonight... if I ever get there after having to collect the kids from swimming....

I was talking to my friend in the UK yesterday and she is having a tough tome with her hubby too. Her daughter is Harrison's age (they are very similar kids tbh) and she said her hubby is having a constant battle of wills with the daughter over reading in bed. He says 8.30 is too late to read so forces her to turn off light, so she just reads under the covers with a torch or however else she can manage once he's confiscated torches etc. We have the same battles here too. I am often left secretly wondering who it's hurting for Harrison to read up until 9 or whatever when he really wants to read but if I voice my dissent then I'M not being consistent and backing HIM up. I wonder who backs me up sometimes?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:16 am

Kudos to Harrison.

Chloe came home delighted with herself.
They are doing 6 lessons of drama classes with the Italian teacher and an outside collaborator from a theatre group. All the kids were told to take in one or two objects that could be identified as belonging to a certain person and move like that person across the gym hall floor.

By Chloe's acount most girls took a tiara=princess, a wooden spoon=cook, or a dolly=mother. The boys took footballs or pretended to cycle or drive across the stage.

Chloe took a white glove and my brimmed, black felt hat - stood at the side of the room, flicked the hat onto her head and then moon walked across the floor.

She was appluaded and complimented by all and the theatre guru asked her to do it again and gave her top marks for originality.

Thank God the little thing has some bright and breezy moments as well as all the hard work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.