Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Oct 1st 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HAPPY HOUR

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
well the text books are covered now and a long note written to Alex's teacher.

OH was bloody fuming. I aked Alex to show me what the teacher made him do in the gym. He stood with his back to a wall and his arms folded and then he said "she let me sit on the floor after a bit."

I wanted to cry for him.

I told his teacher that in the 3 years his sister has been at school, a tracksuit was never a must - just comfy and light clothes.
I told his teacher that he doesn't own a proper proper tracksuit but lots of jogging style trousers (which it is still much too warm for) and lots of t-shirts and some zip up tops (too warm for them too).

I told her that he will be wearing these until Christmas and then I will look for a tracksuit for him in England where kids' clothes are much much cheaper.

OH said I should have added that we will of course accept a donation from the teacher or the school or a voucher for the sports shop .... but that was too cheeky even for me !!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:22 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

There has been lots of talk about schools recently, and it looks like it could be an ongoing topic - for myself as well - so I've started a specific school thread.

I'll see now if I can move some of the recent school talk from happy hour without messing things up ............ and then we can carry on the school talk here. I know that I'm certainly curious to see if Alex's teacher replies to my note.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:48 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Just read note back from Alex's teacher. It simply says :

Gentile Signora,

Jogging style trousers will be fine.

Good !!!!! I'll look for a little tracksuit for him in England maybe but I'm not going to the sports shop here for one.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Just read note back from Alex's teacher. It simply says :

Gentile Signora,

Jogging style trousers will be fine.

Good !!!!! I'll look for a little tracksuit for him in England maybe but I'm not going to the sports shop here for one.
What not even an exclamation mark??!! Goodness you got away lightly Lorna... though don't you think these notes are frustrating? No explanation as to why she made him stand against the wall yesterday, I'll bet!!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by indiebird
What not even an exclamation mark??!! Goodness you got away lightly Lorna... though don't you think these notes are frustrating? No explanation as to why she made him stand against the wall yesterday, I'll bet!!
There was no explanation no - I wasn't really expecting an apology or anything but at least I know Alex won't be shoved up against the wall next week.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

There was no explanation no - I wasn't really expecting an apology or anything but at least I know Alex won't be shoved up against the wall next week.

Maybe this is somewhere I go wrong.... always feeling the need to explain everything....
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Have just been reading Mr Grillos blog whilst heating up the oven for our pizzas .....and he has some really good proposals for the education system. As its the latest post it hasnt been translated yet, but it will be probably by tomorrow (for those whose italian isnt up to it)
I applaud what he is proposing but the likelihood of it actually becoming reality ???? - maybe not in our kids school life ! we can always hope though
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patty
Have just been reading Mr Grillos blog whilst heating up the oven for our pizzas .....and he has some really good proposals for the education system. As its the latest post it hasnt been translated yet, but it will be probably by tomorrow (for those whose italian isnt up to it)
I applaud what he is proposing but the likelihood of it actually becoming reality ???? - maybe not in our kids school life ! we can always hope though
oooh I will have a look Patty once it's been translated... my Italian certainly ain't up to it!!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well been to see the teacher again this afternoon and had to have a looooooonnnnnggggg chat. Ds has wrecked a folder (one I brought here that cost a fortune!!! ) today and is just a general pain in the butt. He wasn't the only one either, another mother had to go and speak to her too and my son should count himself lucky that I don't slap him round the face like this mother did to her son!! I actually came away feeling much more zen. Was it to do with the fact that I had a good old chin wag with 37100 today or was it because the teacher actually asked me what I thought the matter was and I got to give an opinion or perhaps it was because I saw a lady who we know who told me that the problem with him is that his heart and his head are not here but in England? I'm not sure which it is but I don't feel so bad. Che sará sará!!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:49 am

Well been to see the teacher again this afternoon and had to have a looooooonnnnnggggg chat. Ds has wrecked a folder (one I brought here that cost a fortune!!! ) today and is just a general pain in the butt. He wasn't the only one either, another mother had to go and speak to her too and my son should count himself lucky that I don't slap him round the face like this mother did to her son!! I actually came away feeling much more zen. Was it to do with the fact that I had a good old chin wag with 37100 today or was it because the teacher actually asked me what I thought the matter was and I got to give an opinion or perhaps it was because I saw a lady who we know who told me that the problem with him is that his heart and his head are not here but in England? I'm not sure which it is but I don't feel so bad. Che sará sará!!
Did she really slap him around the face ? In front of the teacher ?

My kids have had a couple of small slaps in the past but I'd never slap their faces or hit them around the head. Nowadays a viscious stare from me is enough to stop them in their tracks.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Did she really slap him around the face ? In front of the teacher ?

My kids have had a couple of small slaps in the past but I'd never slap their faces or hit them around the head. Nowadays a viscious stare from me is enough to stop them in their tracks.
She did. she slapped him once outside the school gates in front of all the other parents and then once in front of the teacher!! Personally I was a bit horrified if I'm honest and although I have been known to smack mine it is never round the face or head (only in a playful way if we were messing around -so not hard) normally on bottoms and never, ever, ever in front of teachers!! When I smack it is usually when I have lost it, normally cos my kids have done something to put themselves in peril or each other, like the day my son jumped out of the car into the path of an oncoming vehicle!! They know it's when I lose it, and as you say Lorna, normally a few choice words or a psychotic look is enough!!! We are off to the cartoloria later on so he can buy a new folder for school with his money. Sometimes you need to hit kids where it hurts... in the pocket!! (oh and he was most upset that i didn't let him watch the Simpsons on the telly last night too)
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:08 am

She did. she slapped him once outside the school gates in front of all the other parents and then once in front of the teacher!! Personally I was a bit horrified if I'm honest and although I have been known to smack mine it is never round the face or head (only in a playful way if we were messing around -so not hard) normally on bottoms and never, ever, ever in front of teachers!! When I smack it is usually when I have lost it, normally cos my kids have done something to put themselves in peril or each other, like the day my son jumped out of the car into the path of an oncoming vehicle!! They know it's when I lose it, and as you say Lorna, normally a few choice words or a psychotic look is enough!!! We are off to the cartoloria later on so he can buy a new folder for school with his money. Sometimes you need to hit kids where it hurts... in the pocket!! (oh and he was most upset that i didn't let him watch the Simpsons on the telly last night too)
What kind of folder? A ring binder or one of those cardboard envelope type things with the elastic band round them.

I made Chloe use her own money to buy a glue stick a few weeks ago. She is always sticking and making things but I am sick of finding glue sticks in her room with no lid on - so then it's dry and useless and ends up in the bin. When I discovered that she had used and wasted every single glue stick from MY desk drawer where I store stationary - I went mad and made her go and buy her own.

My Mum and sister arrive here on Sunday - guess what they are brining in their suitcase ?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

What kind of folder? A ring binder or one of those cardboard envelope type things with the elastic band round them.
A ring binder -the new way to do things apparently, quaderni are so last year!! (What it means in practice is that he never remembers to bring the right bits of paper home for me to sign as he doesn't want to carry about the big folders) he's totally bent it, god only knows how he did it, he must have stood on it or something. I'm not even letting him go to the Coop where things are a bit cheaper, he can go to the local cartoloria and buy one for probably no less than €5!! Dd has already gone through 2gluesticks at school, in what? 3 weeks? oh and two boxes of 24 crayola coloured pencils from the UK and a whole flipping pencil!!!! At this rate my UK stash won't last long!! I have put it all up high in a cupboard as, like you, I spent a fortune last year on gluesticks, only to go to my desk drawers to find that they were all senza lids or mashed up and horrible -they don't even just start one and use that til it's finished do they? Makes me so cross cos it's sooooo wastful.

My Mum and sister arrive here on Sunday - guess what they are brining in their suitcase ?
hmmmmm cheddar and bacon, a tracksuit for your son and ..... some asda gluesticks???!!!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:35 am

A ring binder -the new way to do things apparently, quaderni are so last year!! (What it means in practice is that he never remembers to bring the right bits of paper home for me to sign as he doesn't want to carry about the big folders) he's totally bent it, god only knows how he did it, he must have stood on it or something. I'm not even letting him go to the Coop where things are a bit cheaper, he can go to the local cartoloria and buy one for probably no less than €5!! Dd has already gone through 2gluesticks at school, in what? 3 weeks? oh and two boxes of 24 crayola coloured pencils from the UK and a whole flipping pencil!!!! At this rate my UK stash won't last long!! I have put it all up high in a cupboard as, like you, I spent a fortune last year on gluesticks, only to go to my desk drawers to find that they were all senza lids or mashed up and horrible -they don't even just start one and use that til it's finished do they? Makes me so cross cos it's sooooo wastful.

hmmmmm cheddar and bacon, a tracksuit for your son and ..... some asda gluesticks???!!!
Bacon definitely - and of course loads of gluesticks. Mum's also got me loads of sachets of calpol and kids' ibuprofen. I had quite a few left and then used them all in just a few days when Alex got toothache.

Going back to school stuff - I had to get Chloe a "porta listino" this year. I had no idea what one was until I got to the shop. It's basically an A4 size book of clear - see through pockets. The kind of thing that you could slide menu pages into.... hence "porta listino".

Chloe, for the last three years has been using one type of drawing paper book for art lessons so when I saw them on offer at the beginning of September I bought 4 of them thinking they'd do for Alex as well. NO! His teacher doesn't like them - she wants the kids to have a metal spiral bound 'Architetto' drawing book - so yesterday we were back at the shop again !

As my dad would say "swings and roundabouts". Hopefully by the end of this month the teachers will all have decided what the kids need and they'll have stopped handing out text books in dribs and drabs to come home and be covered and we can stop going to the shop every week for something new.

Even the guy in the shop said they drive him crazy as he never knows each year what he's going to need to order in bulk - like this years porta listino.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

My daughter needed a porta listino too and I had no idea but, like you, we went off to the nice lady in the cartoloria shop and she had them. i think it all drives her mad too, tbh, and the fact that we get the buoni slips for the free books and then have to head back to queue up in the shop in the 1st couple of days to collect them. This year (and last too) there was supposedly a book missing, so got the note in the diary, went back to the cartaloria to be told that she knew of the problem from the school already but the publisher hadn't included them this year as she had already explained to the teachers. So i wrote a note saying we had tried. Ds got told verbally that I needed to go round all the cartolorie in the area to find one, but as i pointed out a) it wasn't my job and if they hadn't published it then there wasn't much point b) that book was part of his buoni and if i did find one then I would have to pay for it and why should I? So, we left it at that, only for it to arrive on tuesday at the school delivered by the cartoloria. Now why can they not get all the books delivered to the school like that in the 1st place? You have to go and reserve them at the beginning of the summer hols too so they would know who had reserved and who hadn't.... bloody nightmare. i am also sure that in the UK schools do not go through this amount of stuff either. I think, the fact that the parents supply it here, makes the teachers more free and easy with some of this stuff. If they had a certain budget (even if it was supplied in money by the parents) per class, the teachers could buy in bulk, get exactly what they want the kids to have and they would not be so wasteful with our money. It does drive me mad, this constant buying of things....

the lady in the merceria here was annoyed too because the prima classes all decided on different coloured grembulini at the beginning of term and she had no idea what those colours would be!! My daughters class is blue, but based on last year she had ordered in a load of black ones which she had to send back to her supplier. As she said, it wouldn't take much for them to phone her (there are only 2 in our town -and if I can I do try and support the local busnesses) and she could have had them there waiting that first week in september. Must admit I'm finding it a pain in the posterior too!! My daughter comes out of school with food and god knows what down hers and so I am sponging it down every night. I would much prefer her to be in her own t-shirt that I would change and wash every day... I'm not buying another grembulino though at nearly €20!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.