Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Jun 4th 2015, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

You have my sympathy Lorna. My son should have 2 years left in the system and believe me......I am counting down the time left !! This morning there was a news item on the bbc and they were discussing that Uni in Germany is free. Alot of Americans go there and the courses are in English. So my next job is to convince son .....

Seriously though - like you I have no idea about the end of year report and the school calendar for the next year (slight splutter here - the words school +calendar+next year brings me out in a coughing fit )
Old Jun 4th 2015, 6:52 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
You have my sympathy Lorna. My son should have 2 years left in the system and believe me......I am counting down the time left !! This morning there was a news item on the bbc and they were discussing that Uni in Germany is free. Alot of Americans go there and the courses are in English. So my next job is to convince son .....
I read about that, too. Scottish uni's are also free.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Juvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond repute

Italian unis are free too.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Juvefan
Italian unis are free too.
eh???? NO!
Old Jun 5th 2015, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Patty
Some German universities are pretty good too.

QS World University Rankings® 2014/15 | Top Universities
Old Jun 5th 2015, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Juvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
eh???? NO!
I heard you only pay for text books, same as scotland, germany, finland, france,
government unis.. not private ones.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I heard you only pay for text books, same as scotland, germany, finland, france,
No, definitely not the case in Italy. There are of course grants, concessions etc. for low income families and such (cough, cough). Me & my wife are both earning and so we paid the full whack for fees for our (only) child.

Some unis also give small grants for merit, which I don't agree with at all.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 12:21 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not? Son number 1 got through Uni on bursaries for merit. He work damned hard to qualify.

Turin Poly, where son 2 went certainly isn't free! But at least there where no books written by professors to buy.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
Why not? Son number 1 got through Uni on bursaries for merit. He work damned hard to qualify.
Good for him, and I'm sure he deserved it, but hard work doesn't always mean top marks, and top marks don't always mean hard work, or even intelligence.

My opinion.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

No, definitely not the case in Italy. There are of course grants, concessions etc. for low income families and such (cough, cough). Me & my wife are both earning and so we paid the full whack for fees for our (only) child.

I have read that unis cost about 1000 euros a year in the public unis.

still WAYYY cheaper than usa or the UK.

so maybe not FREE, but less than 2000 euros a year.. is pretty much free.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

This is untrue.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 12:37 pm
Concierge

Turin cost us €3000 a year plus registration, exam, diploma fees etc. You name it and there was an extra fee for it. Cheaper than the UK, yes, but wages as way lower here.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:30 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Turin cost us €3000 a year plus registration, exam, diploma fees etc. You name it and there was an extra fee for it. Cheaper than the UK, yes, but wages as way lower here.
Chloe's only been at liceo for one year and I'm already sick of paying out.
When I had that row with the Head about her collecting everybody's money and paying it back to the school through the bank or PO and she said "we count a lot on parents' contributions", she seemed surprised and amazed at my indignant and disgruntled reply that she already has my parent contribution to the tune of 181.00 Euro just for so called registration fees.
I'm paying for her ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) which is an obligatory part of her curriculum ..... obligatory but I'm paying. I knew this. What I didn't know and none of us were told, is that if she fails one of the exams, a resit is 25 Euro. She passed section one with flying colours - computer basics. So did most of her classmates. Section 2 was all about Excel which teens just don't use. The prick IT teacher only did one lesson
before the exam and left all the kids in a panic. I downloaded something similar to Excel for Dummies for Chloe. Students in the exam are allowed 9 mistakes. Any more than 9 and it's an immediate fail. Chloe made exactly 9 mistakes. She just scraped through but, a pass is a pass. A whole third of her class failed.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 11:15 am
Concierge

You also have to take into account the length of time needed for a degree here - 5 yrs plus, for many UNIs, attack you least 6 months for the preparation of your thesis.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 3:55 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Happy school holidays.

My kids' happiness could well depend on their school reports, but seeing as I still have no idea when I'll get them, they have a few days or weeks of pure relaxation.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Jun 10th 2015 at 4:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.