Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Originally Posted by K in Modena
It's funny how handwashing after going to the loo and before cooking is considered unnecessary, but woe betide you if you don't use one of those not-so-environmentally-friendly plastic gloves at the supermarket to choose your veg! Come to think of it, it makes sense to me now- I wouldn't want those hands touching my food however well I wash it before cooking!
K, I'm just suddenly thinking I might now use those gloves for me fruit and veg!!

Hmmm, got an invitation for a 'chat' with the teachers for next wednesday (it's a whole class thing -just a pre-xmas how are they getting on chat) do you think I should mention my distaste for corporal punishment when I'm there??
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:19 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit I always use the gloves or the bag if it is just one thing. I can remember telling a kid off in sainburys whose mother was letting him pick bits out of the mushrooms! I hate it when people use their bare hands in the pick and mix sweets too! Especially sticky toddlers! It's something mine wouldve got a right telling off for doing!

Indie - perfect solution take the nasty teacher a peace offering like home made biscuits - just make sure Harrison makes them without washing his hands first! That should give her a merry Christmas!!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Must admit I always use the gloves or the bag if it is just one thing. I can remember telling a kid off in sainburys whose mother was letting him pick bits out of the mushrooms! I hate it when people use their bare hands in the pick and mix sweets too! Especially sticky toddlers! It's something mine wouldve got a right telling off for doing!
Pick and mix are a no no without one of those plastic scoops. My reasoning with the fruit and veg is that you wash it 1st. Pick and mix you don't! I am not a fan of eating at children's parties either and when we had parties at our house then I would unwrap the food, supervise kids putting it on their plates, have them all eat together and then recover the food. Anything left at the end went in the bin!

Indie - perfect solution take the nasty teacher a peace offering like home made biscuits - just make sure Harrison makes them without washing his hands first! That should give her a merry Christmas!!
Hmmmmm this might be a plan TR... He had a note in his diary on friday saying that the so called 'nice' teacher refused to give him any more homework as he spends so long searching for what he has supposedly done. It seems a bit negative to me and without doing the homework he cannot have his work evaluated each week and surely this will affect his report at the end of the year? I just don't know anymore.... need to go and see what they've got to say on wednesday.

We did go to a saturday morning story group hosted at a nearby family centre yesterday. It turned out that I knew the lady reading the story from the cookery course I took part in last year. It can truly be a small world. Harrison was the oldest kid there but he enjoyed the story she told although I noticed he does find it hard to sit still. Julia really enjoyed herself. They then got to play with the other children in a really lovely room that has been kitted out for this new idea they've had ...... a place for young children to go and play with their parents... never heard of that idea before!! Got offered a job, looking after the daughter of a lady after school but not sure I will be able to do it. She is a travel agent and I'm going to pop into her shop and have a chat in the week.... she was really nice and said that she had a good feeling about me. Transported me back to my childminding days.... I got a lot of work through 'gut reaction'. Also heard about one of the language schools offering children's group english lessons for €40 per month per child for an hour in a group situation.... does that sound like a money-making swizz or what??!!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:50 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Every heard the one about why they have traffic lights in Italy? It certainly isn't for regulating the traffic. Well, it's to give men time to pick their nose. BTW that's an Italian theory, not British.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 1:53 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
it's to give men time to pick their nose.
And have a good scratch of their balls
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

am having a few problems with youngest at school this week and he keeps saying he doesnt feel well - I know theres something not quite right and I will get to the bottom of this Its soo hard being a parent isnt it ??
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:47 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
am having a few problems with youngest at school this week and he keeps saying he doesnt feel well - I know theres something not quite right and I will get to the bottom of this Its soo hard being a parent isnt it ??
How old is he Patty?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patty
Hmmmm if only these boys would talk eh? (and do what he was told and work in my son's case too!! ) Have you tried asking around other parents you know? This is sometimes how I find out info....
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

He's 11 and just started le medie - thats probably part of the problem me thinks
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well we went to the meeting with the teachers yesterday. 37100 being the kind and benevolent friend that she is came with me and managed to get my thoughts and ideas across to them for the first time in two years properly. Seems that a certain little person is extremely sneaky and is telling them one thing and us another. They thought we weren't interested in his homework or his behaviour and let him do what he wanted and you all know my thoughts on them. Anyway, to cut a long story short (we over-ran our time slot substantially) the teachers are going to the school psychologist on my behalf and I am going to be controlling what needs to go into school on which days for him. In many ways he is fortunate. If he behaved in English schools as he bahaves here he would have been expelled a long time ago.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:40 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! Indie! It doesn't excuse the teachers behaviour but at least you know why now! They really are so and so's aren't they! Not being funny though this is his way of telling you all how unhappy he is. Lyd's lad was a happy smiley boy but desparately miserable at his last school - they just don't always let on. His came out in agressive, bullying behaviour which, thankfully, is a thing of the past now. I hope you can get it all sorted and at least you know where you stand!

I can remember Alex, when he was about 7, coming home and telling me that the teacher had told him and two other boys that they were the most intelligent in the year. Naturally I believed him, for all of 5 minutes! I asked if he minded me checking this with his teacher, as I wanted to thank her for recognising my gifted son..... Soon changed the tale!! Lol! I think it was the term we had promised him some kind of toy bribe if he did well in his report!!

I get alsorts from Antonia, "Shall I ask your teacher about that?" Amazing the reaction!!

Now you know too! At least you have a result!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I think you're spot on TR. I went for coffee with the lady who offered my the job looking after her daughter last week and she is involved with the schools in the next town and she said that if we feel the need to move him then she will help me find a space for him.... we will see how we get on with the psychologist here first. The trouble here is, it isn't always easy to get to see the teachers here (easier at the Asilo but at school there is a seperation... there does need to be as some parents would be there every day ) and when I do get to see them, much is lost in translation. My son is clever. He knows this!!

Also, on the subject of the teachers behaviour me and 37100 are under no allusions. She did do it, but he must have driven her to absolute distraction.... however a few gentle 'comments' from 37100 (the woman is a legend ) have made it extremely clear that it isn't acceptable.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:18 pm
The Original Red Head!

I am glad it is all getting sorted, really! I could also tell from some of your comments in earlier posts that you weren't 100% sure that your son was an angel wrongly accused, but on-line it is sooo difficult to say, "I know where you are coming from, go with your instinct!" in these things without coming a cropper . I am the first to suspect fishyness when my kids spout incredible stories and like to know where I am - and yes it is virtually impossible for me to do this too because of the language problems I have! Luckily I do have an English friend married to an Italian with a boy at the same school - she sends her OH in when there is trouble and he went in when Antonia was being hurt physically by an adopted boy with loads of problems that the nuns just wanted to help! He nearly put her eye out with a plastic animal at one stage! (She had a visible cut in the corner of her eye!) Antonia quite likes him now....

We're trying to sort Alex out now too. Turns out he is doing more than okay at school - we've spoken to his housemaster - so his problems aren't academic they're him not making the most of his free time (he's bored!) and just being 14. Plus, yeah, he likes being at home! Which I'm happy about and want to stay that way!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:43 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by indiebird
Well we went to the meeting with the teachers yesterday. 37100 being the kind and benevolent friend that she is came with me and managed to get my thoughts and ideas across to them for the first time in two years properly. Seems that a certain little person is extremely sneaky and is telling them one thing and us another. They thought we weren't interested in his homework or his behaviour and let him do what he wanted and you all know my thoughts on them. Anyway, to cut a long story short (we over-ran our time slot substantially) the teachers are going to the school psychologist on my behalf and I am going to be controlling what needs to go into school on which days for him. In many ways he is fortunate. If he behaved in English schools as he bahaves here he would have been expelled a long time ago.
It was worth it just to see that sparkly, electric blue eye liner.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
It was worth it just to see that sparkly, electric blue eye liner.
I was thinking of getting some 37100 You never cease to be amazed here do you?! Funny, but being English you just don't expect certain things from teachers.... I bet TR doesn't get glittery eyeliner on the nuns!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.