Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Originally Posted by 37100
I've only just noticed, but far from being obsolete <<>> are used as quotation marks in papers/mags/comics etc.
Sorry, I meant they were obsolete in hand-written Italian.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

I've got pta on Monday so son confessed today that he had been given a bad mark in meteorology .... a 3!

Three, I say, how did you manage that?
Teacher caught me copying, he admits, but David and Francesco also got three.
It's no consolation to me that the other boys also got bad marks, who did you copy from then?
Well there were 3 questions and I didn't know the answer to the last one so I looked on my cell phone.
But your phone hasn't got internet!
No, I know, he says, I photographed the pages of my book with my phone and the teacher caught me when I was looking and gave me a 3.
Damned bloody right she did as well, I would have given you "O". You little bugger, you had every intention to cheat, why don't you just study like other kids do?
I did revise but we knew it was going to be a hard test, so I thought I would take precautions.

Anyone got any advice what I am supposed to do with him? I mean, he's 18 years old, isn't it about time he started acting more like an adult? Any help highly appreciated.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Well he tried to cheat , got caught and got a 3 ! I'd simpley point out that he has failed the test and its up to him to ask the teacher for a resit or make sure the next test mark he gets is high enough to bring his average back up. If it is a ' one off' as far as you you know and otherwise his grades are fine I wouldn't make too much of it , he can work it out for himself !
Old Feb 25th 2012, 2:02 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was quite clever to photograph the page. (don't tell him I said that though). I would never have though of that but of course we never had mobile phones.
We also had it drummed into us for years that if we got caught cheating in just one O level or A level then we would be disqualified and fail ALL of them. It wasn't worth the risk to cheat and I don't know anybody who did.
We also had to leave all our bags at the front of the exam room as well, and pencil cases and just have the bare pen and pencil on our desk.
He was lucky.

He tried to cheat and got caught. Like HEP said, tell him he better make sure his next mark is good enough to bring him up to level.

And tell him from me never to get into a poker game for high stakes - coz he'll lose it all !!!!!
Old Feb 25th 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Well, it was Dad's turn to have a go at him at lunchtime. So with half a smile on his face dad says to son:

What have you been doing at school?
Oh mum's told you ...... era una cazzata, I won't do it again!

Let's hope so, now I have got to go and face the music on Monday!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pugliese
Anyone got any advice what I am supposed to do with him? I mean, he's 18 years old, isn't it about time he started acting more like an adult? Any help highly appreciated.
That's quite a funny story in a way, but I can imagine it's very annoying as a parent!
I think they generally give '3' as a minimum for just turning up and writing *something* down on paper.

Mind you, as I always say, when schools -and teachers - start treating them as 18 year olds, ie. young adults, then perhaps they might start to 'grow up' a bit more. As I've said before they use the same methods as when they are 13 or 14. Not good.

What school is 'meteorology' part of ? just curious!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkRD
That's quite a funny story in a way, but I can imagine it's very annoying as a parent!
I think they generally give '3' as a minimum for just turning up and writing *something* down on paper.

Mind you, as I always say, when schools -and teachers - start treating them as 18 year olds, ie. young adults, then perhaps they might start to 'grow up' a bit more. As I've said before they use the same methods as when they are 13 or 14. Not good.

What school is 'meteorology' part of ? just curious!
Yes, I think that's what his dad thought because he said to me "Well, you have got to hand it to him, he shows initiative". Meteorology is part of the curriculum at the Instituto Aeronautico.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Yes, I think that's what his dad thought because he said to me "Well, you have got to hand it to him, he shows initiative". Meteorology is part of the curriculum at the Instituto Aeronautico.
Ha! Typical dads!
Old Feb 29th 2012, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

In Italy, cheating is part of the system. Almost everyone who went to school there either cheated or helped others cheat. Even the Italian word for "cheat" (copiare) has no negative connotations.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:10 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

At university we used cheat sheets: little pieces of paper with all key points, formulae, etc in tiny handwriting that we would have up our sleeve. Once sat down, we'd just take out and unfold the cheat sheet and place it underneath scrap paper used for workings.

It didn't do me any harm, I would be no less dumber if I had actually studied!
Old Feb 29th 2012, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-students.html

Things are so good in the USA / Uk .. loved the giraffes
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA

some are really amusing, thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA

Find x !
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:04 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Find x !

Quite literal thinking !

I think our test papers used to say "what is the value of 'X' ?" so that answer wouldn't have worked for us.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Find x !
and the complementary angle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.