Royal wedding

Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Royal wedding

Originally Posted by ononno
And since we're on the subject, the Vatican is absolutely nothing to do with the Italian state. A totally independent state in its own right.
Absolutely correct in formal, official terms, but over the centuries the Vatican has been an instrument of the Italian ruling classes and is intimately linked with Italian business interests. It also played a role in delaying Italian unification.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ononno
Berlusconi is Prime Minister, elected by the voters, whether we like him or not (I do).
O'nonno, my dear chap, I'm fair near flabbergasted! I haven't heard anyone make such a claim for a good few years now! Are you just referring to sheer entertainment value or is there genuine political reason?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Anderson Council
O'nonno, my dear chap, I'm fair near flabbergasted! I haven't heard anyone make such a claim for a good few years now! Are you just referring to sheer entertainment value or is there genuine political reason?

He doesn't like communists so instead has opted for dear old Belusconi.... it's an either/ or situation. Black and white. Wonder where the Fascists would fit in.......
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

ambra_wandsworth will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jonwel
Absolutely correct in formal, official terms, but over the centuries the Vatican has been an instrument of the Italian ruling classes and is intimately linked with Italian business interests. It also played a role in delaying Italian unification.
You might be interested in this book: the pursuit of Italy by David Gilmour..brand new at Waterstones
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ambra_wandsworth
You might be interested in this book: the pursuit of Italy by David Gilmour..brand new at Waterstones
I suppose now that Pink Floyd are no more David Gilmour must have a lot more free time on his hands for this sort of thing.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:04 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Whether we like it or not, a whole lot of Italians voted for him even if they don't admit it and I suspect that he would win again if Italy went to the vote tomorrow.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 37100
Whether we like it or not, a whole lot of Italians voted for him even if they don't admit it and I suspect that he would win again if Italy went to the vote tomorrow.
Sad but true. There's quite a funny clip doing the rounds on internet that I'm too technologically challenged to post here, but if you search 'Charlie Brooker Berlusconi' on youtube you can watch. He describes Silvio as "an ejaculating penis with a Prime Minister attached"!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Methinks quite a lot of people are missing the point of Berlusconi's government. He's trying too hard to drag Italy by the scruff of its neck into the 20th. century; and reform the outdated institutions that drive us all mad with their archaic bureaucracy. A lot of people (unions, state and quango employees, etc.) have a lot to lose if he were to succeed. And of course he won't last long enough to then start getting us into the 21st. century.
saluti,
'o nonno
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:23 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I think if Mr Blobby controlled the most popular media outlets in Italy and ran for government, he'd win. I think only Gabibbo would stand in his way.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

How is he dragging Italian into the 21st Century exactly? By making himself a laughing stock to the rest of the world or encouraging the Italian population to discover STDs first-hand for themselves....
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:13 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
How is he dragging Italian into the 21st Century exactly?
Certainly not with education which has a lower and lower budget each year. I know we moan about what we have to pay out for when our parents never did, but the more I'm "inside" that environment, the more I realise how shocking it is.
"The children are our future". Somebody forgot to tell the old twat.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Certainly not with education which has a lower and lower budget each year. I know we moan about what we have to pay out for when our parents never did, but the more I'm "inside" that environment, the more I realise how shocking it is.
"The children are our future". Somebody forgot to tell the old twat.
Don't tell him for goodness sake!! We know what he thinks with!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

ambra_wandsworth will become famous soon enough

I suppose now that Pink Floyd are no more David Gilmour must have a lot more free time on his hands for this sort of thing.

Originally Posted by 37100
Berlusca maybe a deplorable person, jumped into political scenery in 94, mainly to protect his own interests, he's a shitty man or whatever, but he has more personality than the all left wing of the Parliament, that's why I think people will prob vote for him again.
Sinistra makes the war to him using the wrong weapon, in my opinion: Bunga Bunga, prostitutes ( poor little Ruby a 17 y.o. innocent child, that looks at least a professional 26 y.o. wh***e), his idiots buddies; he's so silly as being so exposed he should be careful every move he makes, but we do have major problems in this country,and his sexual conduct can be disgusting but doesn't change anything.
It looks Sinistra insisting on that, has no idea how to oppose to him otherwise.
Moreover they recycle ideas from the Right parties...God knows how Federalism has become trendy these days even for them, after spending 23 years saying it was racist thinking of Italy divided, even if it was just in regard of paying taxes..
I would appreciate seeing someone from Sinistra having balls to come out and say something new and make a good opposition..

Originally Posted by indiebird
Don't tell him for goodness sake!! We know what he thinks with!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Well since we're going off topic ----

I have a bit of sympathy with O'Nonnu views on Berlo - I think he did, at first, want to be an Italian Thatcher and clamp down ont he unions and drag italy into the 21st , or even 20th century. Unfortunately for us, this ideal soon went by the board - he is an autocratic almost dictatorial person, surrounded by servile yes men, and has become accustomed to do exactly what he wants. He uses the threat of communism to lambast the opposition, and is more concerned with protecting and extending his media empire than in governing the country. And, as we have seen in the UK all too often, after 17 years of 'absolute power' he is absolutely corrupted - buys his majority, legge ad personam, state visits to sell mediaset programmes and so on ad infinitum. But, the left has no person with an ounce of charisma, no idea of modern politics, no idea of the power of an image - if someone had the wit to do the Thatcher shopping basket gag - how damaging it would be for the PDL? At least Berlo, (and I loathe him) understands how modern politics works, the sound bite, the photo opp, etc - try telling that to the grey PD brigade or worse still Rutelli the opportunist.

OK - going on a bit - but ... For me it is not the Ruby aspect of Rubygate that is a travesty of democracy, but the concussione - which is as bad if not worse as Nixon and Watergate being a complete abuse of position and power for personal ends. he deserves to go down, and what is worse his party now shares in the myth that Ruby was the neice of Mubarak because they have voted to say so - Eternal shame on them all, which brings us to the Vatican and its hugely influential and harmful influence on the ITalian state - which btw it virtually runs - The Vatican runs the entire banking system, the entire class dirigente and therefore Italy. It is a charade of monumental proportions that church adn state are not connected - Opus Dei has more influence in ITaly than any political party - and therefore Italy as a democracy is way down the list - but then we knew that.

But back to the original topic - the royal wedding doesnt make me feel patriotic - two average art historians tieing the knot does not make me well up with pride for being British - OK we do marching very welll, we have very good bands and you cant beat the shiny boots and busby of a British soldier - that can make you proud - we are brilliant at ceremonial, compared to tons of other countries. But the wedding and its prime movers making me patriotic - absolutely not. However, watching Comic Relief the other week, and knowing that only the BBC could make such a prog, and only in the UK would you get such involvement and response made me very proud to be British/English/Yorshire. Both events cost/raise 100 million quid - I know where I would prefer my money to go....
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ambra. Can I just say, first of all, how good it is to have an Italian's view contributing to this site. I agree with a lot of what you say. The last left wing prime minister, Prodi, had less charisma than a dead fish. However, here in Puglia I think Nicchi Vendola is an admirable politician doing a fine job. And, although it shouldn't make any difference, I can't help thinking that it would do wonders for Italy's image around the world if it became the first country to elect an openly gay prime minister.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.