Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Retirement to Sicily

Retirement to Sicily

Old Jan 4th 2017, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

FreddyBee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement to Sicily

May I ask a follow-up question, Margaret M? Were you already registered as resident in Italy before you applied for the codice? I have been told, by Italians, that (a) I must have the codice to sign a lease, (b) I must have a lease to register as a resident, (c) I must be a resident to apply for a codice in Italy. I tried to ask the Italian Embassy here for clarification, but received a brusque reply. So I'm totally confused.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Freddy, there is no need to be a resident to get a codice fiscale. Perhaps things have changed a bit but mine was also delivered over the counter on the same day and actually to a friend. It is a good idea to have a codice to sign a short-term lease but here again I got my first one without a codice.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 4:56 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FreddyBee
May I ask a follow-up question, Margaret M? Were you already registered as resident in Italy before you applied for the codice? I have been told, by Italians, that (a) I must have the codice to sign a lease, (b) I must have a lease to register as a resident, (c) I must be a resident to apply for a codice in Italy. I tried to ask the Italian Embassy here for clarification, but received a brusque reply. So I'm totally confused.
You do not need to be resident to get a Codice fiscale. You will need one to sign a lease and hook up utilities. You do not necessarily need a lease to sign up as a resident, but you do need proof of an address. Once you have signed up as a resident, the local vigile usually come round and check.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Freddy have a look here
Old Jan 4th 2017, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FreddyBee
No, we weren't resident, we hadn't even permanently moved here. My husband was house hunting, and I was on holiday to see our prospective house a few months later.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone can get a CF - all you need is a completed form available here:Codice Fiscale
Your passport and a photocopy of your passport. Go to the Agenzia dell'entrate, push the button for Codice Fiscale and you will be done and dusted in 10 mins.
Once you have the CF you can open bank accounts, sign a lease and get residency. Make photocopies of your paper copy,

Last edited by modicasa; Jan 5th 2017 at 5:29 am.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have the CF you can open bank accounts, sign a lease and ...... have a long hard think before getting residency bearing in mind all the info on this forum - about declaring and paying taxes on everything you have in a highly indebted country that has already made a grab at peoples bank accounts and in particular in Sicily where good healthcare is hard to find (due to a lack of resources).
Old Jan 5th 2017, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicktonight
Once you have the CF you can open bank accounts, sign a lease and ...... have a long hard think before getting residency bearing in mind all the info on this forum - about declaring and paying taxes on everything you have in a highly indebted country that has already made a grab at peoples bank accounts and in particular in Sicily where good healthcare is hard to find (due to a lack of resources).
Good advice Nick. Forget about the CF and keep your residence below 183 days per year and you will save a fortune. The accountants fee alone is quite a lot before youve paid any tax.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Good advice Nick. Forget about the CF and keep your residence below 183 days per year and you will save a fortune. The accountants fee alone is quite a lot before youve paid any tax.
Our accountants fees here are a mere fraction of what they were in the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I lived perfectly happily without an accountant before coming to Italy where absolutely everyone seems to have one. For most people therefore this will be an additional expense.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret I am very surprised to hear that your accountant charges "a mere fraction" of your UK accountant. I have looked around a lot and most accountants seem to charge about the same or only slightly less than in the UK - not only that but as there is far more paperwork for absolutely everything in Italy the total accountancy costs end up a lot higher. Are you sure that your Italian accountant is doing the same job as your UK one did?
Old Jan 5th 2017, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicktonight
Margaret I am very surprised to hear that your accountant charges "a mere fraction" of your UK accountant. I have looked around a lot and most accountants seem to charge about the same or only slightly less than in the UK - not only that but as there is far more paperwork for absolutely everything in Italy the total accountancy costs end up a lot higher. Are you sure that your Italian accountant is doing the same job as your UK one did?
My previous accountant gave me an estimate for Unico of Euro 300 and then sent me a bill for Euro 600.
Having to declare all your overseas assets in my view encourages them to up their fees. Also it is not that easy to find accountants who are familiar with Quadro RW.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

"Also it is not that easy to find accountants who are familiar with Quadro RW" True Phil, and make sure they do understand it - Mine didn't understand it back in 2012 and I ended up paying a fine this year (nothing too dramatic though!)
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Philat - that sound extortionate. I pay 700 euro pa for my business and personal accounts - which includes IVA, intrastat, all my IMU etc, INPS and the lot. Id find another accountant!
Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:12 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
My previous accountant gave me an estimate for Unico of Euro 300 and then sent me a bill for Euro 600.
Having to declare all your overseas assets in my view encourages them to up their fees. Also it is not that easy to find accountants who are familiar with Quadro RW.
You were robbed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.